Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like I've to apologise to West on Track

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

From the Heavy Rail census it would appear that a grand total of 52 passengers boarded the service on that day in Gort/Adrahan/Craughwell on the 10 services that day. A Significant reduction in Gort but a significant increase in Craughwell. Still below the dizzy heights achieved at these stations in 2012 of 59.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/National_Heavy_Rail_2018_V8_Web.pdf

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

Taking a traffic census on a Thursday in the middle of November. Quite possibly the quietest and most miserable time of the year. Apart from February. Mid February. The month that means feck all. 

Fecks sake, not even Dickie Beeching or the Todd fellow were THAT devious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

dermo888 wrote: »
    Taking a traffic census on a Thursday in the middle of November. Quite possibly the quietest and most miserable time of the year. Apart from February. Mid February. The month that means feck all. 

Never understood the argument for carrying out the census on one miserable day in November. Rail usage goes up and down throughout the year. Could they select a day each quarter to give a better idea? Then again surely ticket sales figures would be more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

November is taken as its gives the highest number of commuters, no holidays, no days off, schools and colleges in term etc. Basically the consistent daily users.

Still though those numbers are dismal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

The Limerick-Ballybrophy and Limerick Jctn-Waterford line should be run by railbuses tbh, I'd love to see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Qrt wrote: »
    The Limerick-Ballybrophy and Limerick Jctn-Waterford line should be run by railbuses tbh, I'd love to see them.

they effectively are ran by such, being ran by the 2800 class, which along with their other cousins are as near to a railbus as you can get without actually being one. the odd ICR appears on lj waterford though.
    if you would like to ride on what is effectively a real railbus, if you are ever in the uk and come across classes 142/3/4 then they will give you an experience. will have to be quickish though.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

dermo888 wrote: »

As stated by another poster, it's to give data on the regular everyday users, not holiday makers, not day trippers for special events, the actual people who are clicked on and off each train by people counting them.
    So even if they haven't paid for a ticket, or been issued a ticket, they are counted. It does actually make sense even if it doesn't suit some.

When would you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

November is taken as its gives the highest number of commuters, no holidays, no days off, schools and colleges in term etc. Basically the consistent daily users.

There are also very few sporting events, festivals, nearby public holidays, etc, that could confound year-on-year comparisons.

I would consider it an upper bound for commuters but a lower bound for leisure users of the network. I don't think this gives a bias one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

There are also very few sporting events, festivals, nearby public holidays, etc, that could confound year-on-year comparisons.

I would consider it an upper bound for commuters but a lower bound for leisure users of the network. I don't think this gives a bias one way or the other.

Advertisement