Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any such thing as a healthy bar/cereal bar?

Options
  • 08-09-2018 12:19am

Is there such a thing as a healthy bar/cereal bar that could be given to a child as a healthy alternative to a piece of fruit? From what I see, all these so-called cereal bars are riddled with sugar and are just really awful in nutritional terms.

Is there any exception? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Possibly making a homemade one will be the best bet. And you can involve the child in making them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,294 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Possibly making a homemade one will be the best bet. And you can involve the child in making them.

My wife does this.. we all eat them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

The 'Naked' bars seem ok for a snack. Date paste and nuts basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Make you're own, but they'll probably still be fairly high in sugar, as that's just the nature of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Fuaranach wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as a healthy bar/cereal bar that could be given to a child as a healthy alternative to a piece of fruit? From what I see, all these so-called cereal bars are riddled with sugar and are just really awful in nutritional terms.

Is there any exception? Thanks.

The only way to know if it is healthy is, if you make them yourself,
    I make my own,
    Porridge
    Soya milk
    Dates
    Chia seeds, these bind everything as well as being good for you
    which ever nuts seeds or dried fruit you like,
    vanilla extract,( not essence)

Heat the soya milk in a saucepan, chop up the dates, stir, they will melt into the milk, don't boil, just heat.

I also put coconut shredded in it, and, roughly broken almonds,

Mix in all ingredients to liquid,
    Let stand for a while.
    then line baking sheet and put in mixture, flatten it, press down so to make it solid, then use a wet knife to score out squares bar shaped, , put in oven for about 20 minuets, or so

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Alpen Light bars are low cal (70) per bar and tasty. 4g of sugar as opposed to 10g in an apple (100g)

http://www.weetabix.com/brands/alpen-light-bars/double-chocolate

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Aldi does these -
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/cashew-wholefoods-bars/p/071261113031400

Just dates & cashews ! And they taste grand too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

those aldi ones or nakd bars are great for a snack. Dates+nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Murph76

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Make you're own, but they'll probably still be fairly high in sugar, as that's just the nature of them.

True, those bars are not only high in sugar, but high in fat to... simply high caloric.

Advertisement