Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasgow Warriors vs Munster, Fri 7 Sep 19:35, Eir Sport

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ok.

But you still look poorly coached.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭mun1

As did Leinster last week. Any team taking a hammering looks poorly coached

Well in this instance Munster are displaying the same problems as last season. Whereas Leinster have a track record of not being crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Clegg wrote: »
    Well in this instance Munster are displaying the same problems as last season. Whereas Leinster have a track record of not being crap.

Maybe a pint of water next round?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I have a lot of sympathy for JvG after that. The first half was an embarrassment.

I wouldn't. He picked the team. He prepared them for the game. He needs to take a large amount of responsibility for it. The fact that they turned it around so easily after the break suggests they weren't mentally right in the first half. I see above it mentioned that the team was young and inexperienced in the first half. It really wasn't. That pack was filled with serious players. Kilcoyne, Ryan, Kleyn, Botha, TOD, Holland...tonnes of experience. They just didn't show up and were blown away until they were obviously read the riot act at half time.

I don't think guys like Kiss, MOC or Keane got too much sympathy when their teams were put to the sword. JVG needs to hold his hands up. He was fuming and rightly so but he needs to do something about it now. His record to date has not set the world alight. He has the backing and signings this year to mount a serious challenge on Europe and is going to find himself under the added scrutiny which comes with that.

Just on a side note, I thought Duncan Williams was arguably the best player on the field in the second half. He always gets dogs abuse but he was very good. He attacked the fringes well, passed well and organised well. The only criticism of him I'd have is when he didn't take the ball off his pack when they were camped on the Glasgow line.

• Advertisement

kuang1 wrote: »
    Clegg wrote: »

Maybe a pint of water next round?
    I'll have whatever the Munster side were having.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

mun1 wrote: »
    As did Leinster last week. Any team taking a hammering looks poorly coached
    You can get hammered and still show plenty to look forward to. Munster had so many one off runners it was embarrasing. Plenty missing for Munster but style of play was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I have a lot of sympathy for JvG after that. The first half was an embarrassment.

If only he had some part in how the team lines up and plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If only he had some part in how the team lines up and plays.

If only posters didn't suggest I said otherwise...

He looked a bit shellshocked. Apologies if I feel bad for the guy...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I didn't actually suggest you said anything. What are talking about?

• Advertisement

I didn't actually suggest you said anything. What are talking about?

True enough.

Anti-ligind Buer's post has me on edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

I'd rather he react this way than try to placate the fans or media.
    At least it suggests to me that he gives a sh1te.
    No problem for me with this.

Did Neil Cronin go off injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Did Neil Cronin go off injured?

Yeah, arm/shoulder injury

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Yeah, arm/shoulder injury

Did it look bad? That's really unfortunate! How was he getting on up to that point?

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Did it look bad? That's really unfortunate! How was he getting on up to that point?

The entire team was struggling for the first half. Hard to judge people when the pack was coming off second best in all areas.

Williams did look good when he came on but there was a complete change in the entire team and he was a major beneficiary.

For context, Cronin touched the ball 14 times in 35 minutes. Williams touched the ball 74 times in his 45 minutes. Impossible to give a realistic assessment given the change in the pack's performance.

There are lot's of reasons why that fist half happened but it still wasn't good enough. Worrying still was that when Munster got back into it in the second half they couldn't score until the game was out of reach anyway.

It wasn't a good display and it's a little worrying to see the first proper competitive fixture of the season go that way. Even the first half of the Cheetahs game was glossed over by the last 15 minutes. Munster were totally dominant but only racked up two scores.

Jury is out.

We go into the next week with a game that before yesterday would be regarded as a banker win. Hopefully the pack can be boosted with POM and/or Stander with Beirne a likely starter also. The backline could do with Keet and Conway.

If Cronin is injured then Mathewson is suddenly a necessary piece to have available.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There are lot's of reasons why that fist half happened but it still wasn't good enough. Worrying still was that when Munster got back into it in the second half they couldn't score until the game was out of reach anyway.

It wasn't a good display and it's a little worrying to see the first proper competitive fixture of the season go that way. Even the first half of the Cheetahs game was glossed over by the last 15 minutes. Munster were totally dominant but only racked up two scores.

Jury is out.

Anyone who thought that that Munster XV was coming away from Glasgow with anything other than a hiding was vastly overrating the quality of Munsters second string. Outside of Leinster that's the toughest away game of the season and Munster were down about 8 or 9 players, while Glasgow were full strength.They were better in the second half when more first XV players came on, but were still without the entire first choice back row and the likes of Murray, Earls and Conway.

Just like last week, very little can be taken from performances with so many players still missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Anyone who thought that that Munster XV was coming away from Glasgow with anything other than a hiding was vastly overrating the quality of Munsters second string. Outside of Leinster that's the toughest away game of the season and Munster were down about 8 or 9 players, while Glasgow were full strength.They were better in the second half when more first XV players came on, but were still without the entire first choice back row and the likes of Murray, Earls and Conway.

Just like last week, very little can be taken from performances with so many players still

No improvement in our back plays for some time now , not sure if Felix Jones is up to it at this moment . He should have went abroad for experience 1st before he was appointed backs coach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,783 ✭✭✭✭phog

We were piss poor in the first half and Glasgow left 5 points behind them but they got a try from what should have been a penalty to us and possibly a card for them. They got one of the easiest's tries they'll get this season from JJ's knock-on. Take them out and that first half scoreline doesn't look too bad.

We were much better in the 2nd half but just lack composure at times. Glasgow will be kicking themselves for not getting a BP will.

The officials were a joke and if I never see Ben ref us again it will be too soon, he's a poor ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭twinytwo

phog wrote: »
    We were piss poor in the first half and Glasgow left 5 points behind them but they got a try from what should have been a penalty to us and possibly a card for them. They got one of the easiest's tries they'll get this season from JJ's knock-on. Take them out and that first half scoreline doesn't look too bad.

We were much better in the 2nd half but just lack composure at times. Glasgow will be kicking themselves for not getting a BP will.

The officials were a joke and if I never see Ben ref us again it will be too soon, he's a poor ref.

My issue with whitehouse is his scrum reffing than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Vinnie222 wrote: »

No improvement in our back plays for some time now , not sure if Felix Jones is up to it at this moment . He should have went abroad for experience 1st before he was appointed backs coach

Unless the forwards create a platform, no backline is going to look good.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Unless the forwards create a platform, no backline is going to look good.

Its going on for awhile now . Even when we have a good platform our back line plays have often let us down . We have the players

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Its going on for awhile now. Even when we have a good platform our back line plays have often let us down. We have the players
    Do Munster though have the players? Yes coaching is an issue and from my experience that goes all the way down the levels in Munster in back play with a few exceptions
    But it isnt simply the coaching, issues with players also there....

Its going on for awhile now . Even when we have a good platform our back line plays have often let us down . We have the players

I’m not sure you have/had (jury is very much out on Carberry) a 10 who could get your back line going, no matter who’s coaching it. Though I’m not sure JVG seems that interested in moving the ball away from the pack anyway. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

There is no dept to our back line, it’s flat and the ball is just shipped across the pitch. Glasgow players were running fantastic dummy lines which caused all sorts of problems during the game and kept our defense guessing. We don’t do that to defenses

stephen_n wrote: »
    I’m not sure you have/had (jury is very much out on Carberry) a 10 who could get your back line going, no matter who’s coaching it. Though I’m not sure JVG seems that interested in moving the ball away from the pack anyway. Time will tell.

F Jones needs to figure out how to use these backs, imo we have the players there but we are just trucking it up with 1 outs. V easy to defend against but as you said time will tell

F Jones needs to figure out how to use these backs, imo we have the players there but we are just trucking it up with 1 outs. V easy to defend against but as you said time will tell

But that’s surely JVG deciding that and not Jones?

• Advertisement
Advertisement