Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John McHenry

Options
  • 04-09-2018 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Just reading the article in the indo about John McHenry, and I have never seen such an underhand act of treachery and destroying the myth, of "it's a game of Honour"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

Read it myself, found the fact that the board members were not provided with the correspondence addressed to them very odd indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Unglika Norse

What is equally as odd, is that if even through media coverage they have been made aware of what happened, is that it would appear as if they have done nothing about it. I have never met him, but John McHenry has always seemed to have come across as a very decent sort of a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

I read it too and agree that Pelley and the European tour have acted pretty shamefully. However, I was also surprised at the naivety of McHenry and Desmond. I'm not an expert on these things but surely they could have done something to try to protect themselves? McHenry seemed to go in with absolute faith that they wouldn't screw him, which is exactly what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Pa8301 wrote: »
    I read it too and agree that Pelley and the European tour have acted pretty shamefully. However, I was also surprised at the naivety of McHenry and Desmond. I'm not an expert on these things but surely they could have done something to try to protect themselves? McHenry seemed to go in with absolute faith that they wouldn't screw him, which is exactly what happened.

People trust people. Yes he was naive, and so was Desmond (certainly on the basis of that article). He should have protected his IP, and certainly the ET seemed to f**k him over.

I'm conscious that we are only reading one side of the story, but the ET does not seem to come out of it too well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Telling factor in all of it was the €30k offer. That was a foolish move.
    Surprised at Desmond though, thought he'd be wilier than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

can you at least give us a link

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

pretty shocking carry on
    no reason not to believe any of it.

pretty shocking carry on
    no reason not to believe any of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Mentioned in the other thread, the 30k offer from the Euro Tour is telling and should assist McHenry in future litigation.

I actually didn't think the GolfSixes was that popular/lucrative anyway.

HighLine wrote: »
    Mentioned in the other thread, the 30k offer from the Euro Tour is telling and should assist McHenry in future litigation.

I actually didn't think the GolfSixes was that popular/lucrative anyway

I bet ET wouldn't say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Seve OB wrote: »
    I bet ET wouldn't say that.

Probably true.. it's just not something I had much interest in. Perhaps for the teenagers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Probably true.. it's just not something I had much interest in. Perhaps for the teenagers :D

indeed.

you can see from the results of the Danish event that there is great potential especially form a TV/entertainment perspective

much like 20/20 cricket really

so it worked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

A shuddering read. How Desmond didn't zero in on the intellectual property rights for the '6 hole' idea is incredible. Seeing that the tour effectively stole the idea, they would have been screwed with initiating any 6 hole events after Henry was shafted by using a similar format as the audit trail of communications and meetings would have had them dead to rights purloining Henry's IP rights when they decided to go another way.

The lesson learned here is that you shouldn't bother trying to 'save' the game. It will continue to decline. That it's too hard and too time consuming is a lethal combination. Any brilliant ideas you might have would need pretty water tight IP rights before you even initiated any contact with the powers that be who should be biting the hands off anyone with passionate ideas to stem the terminal decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,805 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great article and that.

But going against the tend here. How can someone claim IP on a 6 hole format.

I play a 6 hole format myself. Have my own version.

It was a nasty piece of work alright. But come on - on the idea someone can claim ownership to a golf format.

Am I missing something ?

Great article and that.

But going against the tend here. How can someone claim IP on a 6 hole format.

I play a 6 hole format myself. Have my own version.

It was a nasty piece of work alright. But come on - on the idea someone can claim ownership to a golf format.

Am I missing something ?

Yes I am questioning that too. However I still think that they could have surely done something to get some sort of protection or guarantee before investing the amount of money they did. It all seemed to be done on a handshake which is pretty naive in the business world.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,805 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Yes I am questioning that too. However I still think that they could have surely done something to get some sort of protection or guarantee before investing the amount of money they did. It all seemed to be done on a handshake which is pretty naive in the business world.

But the European Tour didn't need John McHenry - he needed the European Tour and was hoping to latch onto them.

He pulled every link he had to try and do that and failed. It is a hard luck story.

Equally John was trying to peddle Moyvalley for 70 K - he was hanging in the high world and got burnt. He was well exposed to failed business ventures.
    If you play that game - you should know about the high risk associated.

Shorter formats of golf are being talked about for a long time and even played in different formats for a long time.

"Golf is a game of honour" has nothing to do with the world John was playing in .
    K Club - Desmond - Moyvalley - The K club - 3.

But the European Tour didn't need John McHenry - he needed the European Tour and was hoping to latch onto them.

He pulled every link he had to try and do that and failed. It is a hard luck story.

Equally John was trying to peddle Moyvalley for 70 K - he was hanging in the high world and got burnt. He was well exposed to failed business ventures.
    If you play that game - you should know about the high risk associated.

Shorter formats of golf are being talked about for a long time and even played in different formats for a long time.

"Golf is a game of honour" has nothing to do with the world John was playing in .
    K Club - Desmond - Moyvalley - The K club - 3.

Yes I think McHenry probably vastly overestimated his importance to the whole venture. The European tour had all the tools needed to start the sixes already. That said, Pelley could have been a lot straighter with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Yes I think McHenry probably vastly overestimated his importance to the whole venture. The European tour had all the tools needed to start the sixes already. That said, Pelley could have been a lot straighter with him.

Totally agree, loads of clubs run 6 hole events for the last 100 years. This poor me rubbish and lack of any business knowledge and he still lacks it. You don’t go around afterwards telling the world you mess up as it makes you look even more stupid.

I thought the whole article was ridiculous and self important and Kimmage helping out a friend and wasting space in my Sunday Paper. Usual Kimmage rubish and poor journalism, I was very surprised a editor would even publish the story in a respectable paper. Just tells you the standard of the indo now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

As somebody said earlier how can you claim to own a format in a sport, if someone came up with a 5 or 7 hole golf format and how could you stop them from doing it.

When the first professional 20/20 cricket league was run by the English Cricket Board all the other countries copied them and they weren't exactly infringing on any apparent ownership of the format that the ECB could have claimed to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,087 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

As I said in the other thread, initially I was kind of aghast, but afterwards the only link I can see between the two formats is that its over 6 holes, which is irrelevant.

Golf Warriors (terrible name btw, very 1990's Gladiators) seemed to be far too complicated to score and track, golf sixes isn't.

It feels a bit like someone who has a great idea on Dragons Den but cant accept that a great idea isnt always a great business or even a business in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

GreeBo wrote:
    It feels a bit like someone who has a great idea on Dragons Den but cant accept that a great idea isnt always a great business or even a business in many cases.

I'm out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

GreeBo wrote: »
    As I said in the other thread, initially I was kind of aghast, but afterwards the only link I can see between the two formats is that its over 6 holes, which is irrelevant.

Golf Warriors (terrible name btw, very 1990's Gladiators) seemed to be far too complicated to score and track, golf sixes isn't.

+1 on all of that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I thought the main issue was they stringed him along for so long when they knew he was investing so much of his own money and chasing around for sponsers.

I thought the main issue was they stringed him along for so long when they knew he was investing so much of his own money and chasing around for sponsers.

Its hard to know from the article if they were stringing him along or he was just throwing good money after bad.

I see where you guys are coming from and all but lets call a spade a spade here.

He came up with an idea.

ET liked it. ET figured they could use him and they did.

Then they tweaked his idea, called it their own and shafted him.

After reading that article I have no doubt that golf sixes wouldn't exist today without John McHenry.

Reading the article, I was getting worried about where it was going. All the references to a game of honour etc, I was convinced that John was after f@*&^ing up somewhere.

But I think we found out in the end that the moral of the story is that within the heart of the Professional Tour administration, there is no honour, in the game of honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Yeah, I think there was a lot more to it than just proposing a 6-hole format. If it was that simple, then he wouldn't have been indulged at all, either by European Tour or by Desmond. I also doubt that Kimmage would be fool enough to make accusations without having grounds to do so.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think there was a lot more to it than just proposing a 6-hole format. If it was that simple, then he wouldn't have been indulged at all, either by European Tour or by Desmond. I also doubt that Kimmage would be fool enough to make accusations without having grounds to do so.

There was a lot more to Golf Warriors than just the 6 hole, which is what put them off.
    They came up with a much simpler format that also is played over 6 holes so had no use/want for the (over) complicated Golf Warrior format.

Offering him €30K doesnt seem like a bad deal at all if viewed in this light.

The problem is that he dumped a crazy amount of cash into something without any contract or guarantees and feels hard done by that he got left behind.

There certainly seem to be some boardroom irregularities around sharing of the proposals etc, but dont really see how that impact McHenry.

Advertisement