Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tams 2 Sheep Handling

Options
  • 04-09-2018 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Anyone apply for the sheep handling Tams grant for race/scales/penning

Planning on submitting an application before Fridays deadline and had a few questions.

Can VAT be reclaimed on any of the above?
    How long did approval take?
    Did people have an inspection and if so what was involved?
    Any recommendations on sheep race. Not looking for one with wheels as want a semi permanent one. Cant apply for a fixed one as involves laying concrete etc.

Considering the Fox Bros one as it comes with footbath, seems solid but am a bit worried about height of side bars as it looks like they would be in the way when trying to dose sheep. Basing the above on pics on website so need to see it in the flesh before I make a decision

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

Plan on going for it myself soon .....please keep us informed with the process and any issues you encounter

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭grayh0und

From what I’ve heard you’ll spend double to satisfy their safety requirements so it’s hardly worth it in the end. Would be interested to hear your experience.

I have a price off Stanley for a sheepeze:

The race is €3500 plus vat
    16 8 foot gates are €880 + vat
    a scales is €460+ vat
    true-test digital scales clock €620+vat

Total cost €6717 incl vat so I get that at 60% off so left paying €2687

A lot of money !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭foxirl

roosky wrote: »
    I have a price off Stanley for a sheepeze:

The race is €3500 plus vat
    16 8 foot gates are €880 + vat
    a scales is €460+ vat
    true-test digital scales clock €620+vat

Total cost €6717 incl vat so I get that at 60% off so left paying €2687

A lot of money !!!

You get the grant on the ex vat figure so you pay 40% of 5460 and then the full vat amount so would cost you 3439. Also as that's a mobile race no option of getting vat back.

In my case I'd only get 40% grant. Not a young farmer. I'm looking at a fixed race so might build one and buy the scales separately. Ended up not applying for the grant in the end last week as the sums just dont add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheDoc77

Do u not just get 40% grant on the reference cost? So in this case the actual cost of the race is €3500 but u only get the 40% grant on the reference cost which is €3186.54 as far as I can see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

TheDoc77 wrote: »
    Do u not just get 40% grant on the reference cost? So in this case the actual cost of the race is €3500 but u only get the 40% grant on the reference cost which is €3186.54 as far as I can see

40% of the invoice price(ex vat) that you submit, or the price you submitted on application, whichever is lower

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

is TAMS 2 a continues scheme? i want to but a sheep race , do i just need to fill in a from and produce the item and invoice on inspection?

foxirl wrote: »
    You get the grant on the ex vat figure so you pay 40% of 5460 and then the full vat amount so would cost you 3439. Also as that's a mobile race no option of getting vat back.

In my case I'd only get 40% grant. Not a young farmer. I'm looking at a fixed race so might build one and buy the scales separately. Ended up not applying for the grant in the end last week as the sums just dont add up.

So my price (ex vat will be €5460)

I pay 40% of that (€2184)

and then I pay vat (€1256)

So all in my cost is €3440, so its about half price !

So my price (ex vat will be €5460)

I pay 40% of that (€2184)

and then I pay vat (€1256)

So all in my cost is €3440, so its about half price !
    Yes, that's the way I read it anyway. I'm only entitled to 40% whereas you as a young farmer get 60 so makes it a bit more enticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

These schemes are a bit of a joke as you end up paying more than you should to actually avail of the grant,

• Advertisement

Ended up applying for it in October. The tranche closed on 7th Dec and got approved on the 7th Feb so approval 2 months after trance closing date which in fairness is not too bad. Guessing if it was for a shed or something like that there would be a lot more involved and could take longer.

Now need to decide if its worth going down the Tams route. Have applied for Sheep Race, scales and penning. Going to get the penning off buffalo steel as seem to have good reviews and prices are competitive.

Any recommendations for the scales?
    Have heard bad reviews on some in that if the sheep is at one end of scales it weighs differently than other end. Maybe one with load cell bars would be a good option but then it probably gets pricey.
    Trying to keep it at a reasonable cost. Have to spend minimum €2,000 overall before vat on but don't really want to go over it. 770 of that already set aside for the penning.

Buy a scales on load-cells with digital clock, I spent years messing with **** scales and should have when that route earlier

Buy a scales on load-cells with digital clock, I spent years messing with **** scales and should have when that route earlier

Saw you had recommended one from a company in Mayo in another thread but looks like they have closed down since then.

Saw you had recommended one from a company in Mayo in another thread but looks like they have closed down since then.

Ya I used the lads below great scales and the best value i could find at the time

http://www.dmdlivestockscales.com/

Ya I used the lads below great scales and the best value i could find at the time

http://www.dmdlivestockscales.com/

Landline dead, no answer on mobile and solocheck says company was dissolved last October so not looking good for getting a scales from them. Pity as it looked a nice job. Out of curiosity what was the cost of it?

Landline dead, no answer on mobile and solocheck says company was dissolved last October so not looking good for getting a scales from them. Pity as it looked a nice job. Out of curiosity what was the cost of it?

They sold me one ex demo it was at ploughing and tullamore show etc....was retailing at €1,000 but got it for €750 as it was last week of December and they were clearing stock.....sold my old unreliable scales for €450 so that took the sting out of it !!!

They sold me one ex demo it was at ploughing and tullamore show etc....was retailing at €1,000 but got it for €750 as it was last week of December and they were clearing stock.....sold my old unreliable scales for €450 so that took the sting out of it !!!

Cheers. I see a crowd in limerick doing a similar one so might try them.

Ended up applying for it in October. The tranche closed on 7th Dec and got approved on the 7th Feb so approval 2 months after trance closing date which in fairness is not too bad. Guessing if it was for a shed or something like that there would be a lot more involved and could take longer.

Now need to decide if its worth going down the Tams route. Have applied for Sheep Race, scales and penning. Going to get the penning off buffalo steel as seem to have good reviews and prices are competitive.

Any recommendations for the scales?
    Have heard bad reviews on some in that if the sheep is at one end of scales it weighs differently than other end. Maybe one with load cell bars would be a good option but then it probably gets pricey.
    Trying to keep it at a reasonable cost. Have to spend minimum €2,000 overall before vat on but don't really want to go over it. 770 of that already set aside for the penning.

Am currently planning a new yard. I hadn't seen Buffalo Steel for gates / pens. Are you able to share prices? I'm very keen on some hurdles too and all the shops around us (Tralee) seem to have the drop pin hurdles as opposed to the interlocking ones.

grayh0und wrote: »
    Am currently planning a new yard. I hadn't seen Buffalo Steel for gates / pens. Are you able to share prices? I'm very keen on some hurdles too and all the shops around us (Tralee) seem to have the drop pin hurdles as opposed to the interlocking ones.

I have both....go with the drop pins !

I have both....go with the drop pins !

Really? I would think this would be a nightmare as I'd always be losing the pins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Really? I would think this would be a nightmare as I'd always be losing the pins.

More of a nightmare when the interlocking ones come apart and the sheep keep escaping. Have both as well here. Drop pin only way to go

Buffalo streel prices for hurdles are all on donedeal. Search for sheep hurdles. Think the 5 foot ones are 26 before vat so about 32 after vat. With tams they costing a little over 21 each.

More of a nightmare when the interlocking ones come apart and the sheep keep escaping. Have both as well here. Drop pin only way to go

Ya interlocking ones will come appart under pressure and especially on uneven ground......also the drop pins will match up to any other brand of drop pin gates or handling unit you buy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I had a good few interlocking here (home made) and converted them to pins years ago for that reason, I'd advise you do the same only galvanise is hateful to weld

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    I had a good few interlocking here (home made) and converted them to pins years ago for that reason, I'd advise you do the same only galvanise is hateful to weld

Most of mine are drop pin. I only have about 10 interlocking ones. They were the first gate I bought, to get me started. Made from threaded bar with a loop. Simple gate but come apart with pushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

I know it is not sheep handling but a neighbour was in with teagasc today about tams fencing

first thing he was told was it is 350euro to apply for grant is that correct ?

next thing was advisor did not know clippex is grant approved

if someone was charging me 350quid I would like to think he knew what he was talking about perhaps a knowledge transfer scheme is in order:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    I know it is not sheep handling but a neighbour was in with teagasc today about tams fencing

first thing he was told was it is 350euro to apply for grant is that correct ?

next thing was advisor did not know clippex is grant approved

if someone was charging me 350quid I would like to think he knew what he was talking about perhaps a knowledge transfer scheme is in order:mad:

It’s free to apply yourself online and clipex is approved

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

It’s free to apply yourself online and clipex is approved

that's what I thought can u send on you consultancy invoice please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

on my TAMS grant it says that i got mobile sheep penning max 75 linear meters[15 length (meter)]

what does this mean exactly?

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    on my TAMS grant it says that i got mobile sheep penning max 75 linear meters[15 length (meter)]

what does this mean exactly?

75 meters is the most you can apply for. When applying you enter the amount of meters you plan on buying. Did you just enter 15. If so that's about 50 foot so about 10 5 foot hurdles

Advertisement