Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AMFC runway in Athlone ?

• 04-09-2018 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering does anybody know anything about this or where it is ?

A friend of mine was telling me that he helped to sponsor the building of a new tarmac runway for a private flying club just west of Athlone, but I live just west of Athlone and know nothing about it. I've done a bit of googling but didnt see any information on the interwebs and I searched this forum too as I figured the good people at boards.ie would know for sure, but I dont see anything for that acronym either.

Anyone out there able to help me ? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Looks like a tarmac runway for model aircraft rather than actual aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ahhh, that might explain it.

Thank you :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Athlone Model Flying Club. Some pics on their Facebook page; they have helpfully Xed the runway in case someone tries to land a fullsize aircraft on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Iodine1

Yes it exists, near Brideswell, and is the only one in Ireland afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Thats awesome - thanks very much for all the information :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

that looks cool, would never have heard of it and am local also only for stumbling in to this thread

Advertisement