Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tons of rubbish left after Electric Picnic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

They do this in Germany. You an extra 2-3 euro deposit on the plastic cup and when you bring it back you just pay for the beer. When you're done, bring it back and get your 2-3 euro back.

Not sure how it would work with slabs and cans, but if they brought this in at supermakret level, it would help. Even if the festival goers don't bother, there's laods of people collecting them for extra income.

Its got to start somewhere and why not with plastic cups as it could be implemented easily.

Drink without plastic cup - €6.50
    Drink with return of plastic cup - €5

All it takes is few people to start doing this and more will follow

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Bob Harris wrote: »
    They're scouts ffs....they pick up other people's rubbish!

they're scouts not wombles.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,208 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Its got to start somewhere and why not with plastic cups as it could be implemented easily.

I think it needs to be a bit more than a 1.50 increase.

A 30-40 euro deposit fee for pitching a tent too. Refunded when your tent leaves the campsite.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

They do this in Germany. You an extra 2-3 euro deposit on the plastic cup and when you bring it back you just pay for the beer. When you're done, bring it back and get your 2-3 euro back.

Not sure how it would work with slabs and cans, but if they brought this in at supermakret level, it would help. Even if the festival goers don't bother, there's laods of people collecting them for extra income.

If people are leaving tents and sleeping bags etc behind they won't give a toss about €2-3 deposit on a plastic cup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

Thought EP was the preserve of tree hugging bearded carbon neutral vegan hipsters. Apparently not.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/watch-bulldozers-remove-hundreds-of-tonnes-of-waste-left-over-at-this-years-electric-picnic-866661.html

EP- Everybody's Plastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Hoboo

they're scouts not wombles.

PMSL

If people are leaving tents and sleeping bags etc behind they won't give a toss about €2-3 deposit on a plastic cup.

Its a start tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Hoboo

As someone else said, they're all returned either way, I remember when they used to do it, seeing people with towers of cups they'd collected. Easy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Hoboo wrote: »
    As someone else said, they're all returned either way, I remember when they used to do it, seeing people with towers of cups they'd collected. Easy money.

How about not letting them bring tents so they have to get them on site and get a deposit back when they are returned too? Same for sleeping bags and camping chairs.

Or how about not being dirty mankbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

As part of ticket price you receive a standard issue tent upon arrival (choice of persons capacity and a multitude of colours and designs so not impossible to find in campsite). A rebate(perhaps 20-30 euro) is then issued to customer upon its return when leaving (all will be recycle friendly anyway regardless of condition)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Its a music festival where drinks are taken what exactly did you expect was going to happen that it would have been left spot clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

* ID all tents on site with UV tag linked to ticket.

* Name and shame all culprits on social media

* Add names of those that leave their garbage behind them to a blacklist

* Fine the feckers so it hurts

* Errect signs like this -

4fc8820347087916df223e28784cda13--sign-sign-funny-signs.jpg

gozunda wrote: »
    * ID all tents on site with UV tag linked to ticket.

* Name and shame all culprits on social media

* Add names of those that leave their garbage behind them to a blacklist

* Fine the feckers so it hurts

* Errect signs like this -

4fc8820347087916df223e28784cda13--sign-sign-funny-signs.jpg

Name and shame on social media is a non runner with data protection regulations, Dublin City Council already got in trouble for this publishing identities of fly tippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Mutant z wrote: »
    Its a music festival where drinks are taken what exactly did you expect was going to happen that it would have been left spot clean.

I have never been so inebriated I forgot my tent....I took pride in my tent it was a Jack Murphy Buffalo model; octagonal design. Real nice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Amirani wrote: »
    EP isn't a "hipster" festival anymore, and hasn't been for a while. It's not dissimilar to how Oxegen ended up.
    Yeah, this was the first year I didn't go. The past few years it's been going downhill but I gave it the benefit of the doubt until this year. The lineup was terrible this year so I sold my ticket few weeks ago, for face value.
    Should be a camp site deposit of €50, you get it back when your allocated tent spot is clear when you are leaving.
    That wouldn't work. As has already been said, people could dump their rubbish in your spot, not that you're allocated a defined spot. Sometimes you'd go to sleep with all the spots around you taken, and when you'd wake up, somebody would have put up a tent in an area half the size of their tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Name and shame on social media is a non runner with data protection regulations, Dublin City Council already got in trouble for this publishing identities of fly tippers.

The most recent reference I found was this

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/editorial/litter-and-privacy-big-brother-was-watching-1.2608096

Doesn't say it's not permitted ...

Even if simply make an exception as part of the T&Cs of attending these gigs

Dirty toerags shouldn't be mollycoddled ...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,208 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

True, but the idea is that if they drink 20-30 beers over the course of a weekend, it becomes 40-90 euro. So instead of ditching 20-30 plastic cups, they just ditch one.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,841 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

588 TONS LOL

5 tons tops, cost to clear up should be 2000, of course it will cost 50k.
    It's a days work for a small refuse truck and two men

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Should be a camp site deposit of €50, you get it back when your allocated tent spot is clear when you are leaving.

How do you propose to run this checkout system for 80000 people?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

As part of ticket price you receive a standard issue tent upon arrival (choice of persons capacity and a multitude of colours and designs so not impossible to find in campsite). A rebate(perhaps 20-30 euro) is then issued to customer upon its return when leaving (all will be recycle friendly anyway regardless of condition)
    There are already certain campsites at EP with a variety of pre pitched tents, huts, yurts but the price of them is ridiculous and there's no deposit refunded. The people who run these want to make a profit, for some strange reason.
    Hoboo wrote: »

They have been doing this or something fairly similar. You'd get a reinforced plastic glass so that it could be reused without getting crushed over the weekend. I've even brought a few home over the years, and prefer them to actual glass pint glasses, for at home anyway.

• Advertisement

There are already certain campsites at EP with a variety of pre pitched tents, huts, yurts but the price of them is ridiculous and there's no deposit refunded. The people who run these want to make a profit, for some strange reason.

Yea Im aware of the extortionate glamping areas but they arent the problem in terms of mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

i wasn't at EP but if pints are €6.50 and your given it in a plastic cup, what about if a person bring that cup back to the bar, they get the pint at a reduced price instead of just dropping it on the ground.

The bars weren't taking back the cups, there were 3 plastic cup and bottle deposit stations around the arena where you could drop them off. I heard of someone asking to have a pint served in a reusuable cup they brought themselves (assuming that it was pint-sized) but staff refused to pour drink into it as it wasn't branded apparently.

Heineken would never pay out for more than what the cups are worth, which is 20c.

This was nothing more than a money spinner for them. How it worked over the weekend was that you had to return a minimum of 5 cups for €1, but you could bring as many as you could carry (and also a bag of plastic bottles was €5 or you get €1 for every 10 bottles). Honestly the price for refunds doesn't need to be raised as there was huge interest from people returning these, mostly children and "professional cup pickers" who were constantly collect 100s, coming and going into the refund stations.
    Because not all of the cups would have been returned, this was a huge profit for Heineken. There were also rules like volunteers, traders weren't allowed to get refunds on these, and plastic cups from food vendors weren't accepted (they would have been taken for recycling, just no money for them).

What should be implemented for next year should be something along the lines of being able to use a reusuable cup with a discount for drink (like at cafes for using travel mugs) as well as the plastic cup & bottle scheme.

O'Haras had steel pint cups at the Another Love Story Festival in Meath, now this would be good to have at EP, Y'know refuse (plastic cups) - reuse (steel cups) - recycle (any plastic cups that are used at the festival).
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/side-orders-and-mere-morsels-srssx6bqh

Just to add that the use of reusable coffee cups should also be encouraged, not just limited to pint cups - I got a discount using one at the coffee vendor in mindfield. Also the same for other single use plastic as well like cutlery if you had your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

They keep comparing ep to boyscout jamboree is not a fair comparison. Now if the boyscouts spent three days off their bins on drugs and booze see how tidy they are then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I think the fact that a vast amount of tents were left behind means there's an organisational issue here. I think people are generally conscientious so when it's carelessness on large scale, there's a deeper issue. They should have a 'leave nothing behind' PR campaign in advance; emails to ticket-buyers, etc. I don't believe any festival in the world is different to this. It's about awareness-raising. I don't believe the people who leave a tent behind are necessarily those who would litter in the street.

I admit to leaving stuff behind back in my festival days (I presumed a combine harvester-style cleanup would happen) but I wouldn't do it now knowing the negative impact.

My point is; those who denigrate these folk are either 1) unwitting hypocrites, 2) never been to an outdoor, overnight event, or 3) better folk than I. I suspect most are 1.

chite wrote: »
    What should be implemented for next year should be something along the lines of being able to use a reusuable cup with a discount for drink (like at cafes for using travel mugs) as well as the plastic cup & bottle scheme.

this is similar to what im suggesting. People are lazy and wont bring plastic pint cups to recycling area. If they brought them back to the bar while going for a drink would work great or as you mentioned get a re usable travel mug

• Registered Users Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

jobless wrote: »
    still do.... that doesnt solve the problem of people leaving tents/camping gear behind along with all their other rubbish

Not saying it does, my response was in relation to that specific question re deposots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

588 TONS LOL

5 tons tops, cost to clear up should be 2000, of course it will cost 50k.
    It's a days work for a small refuse truck and two men

Sounds like you don't have clue what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

this is similar to what im suggesting. People are lazy and wont bring plastic pint cups to recycling area. If they brought them back to the bar while going for a drink would work great or as you mentioned get a re usable travel mug

Yeah would be nice to introduce it, as there's a Waste Reduction Bill in the early stages atm and EP could emulate it for next year. While I was at EP, I wasn't at the bars so can't know for sure but they might find it a logistical issue if they were pouring out drinks in plastic cups before hand and just handing them out to deal with the masses. Heineken might also refuse on the grounds of health and safety (McDonalds does this, can't get a coffee in a travel mug :rolleyes:) and finally they might see this as cutting into their profits - so all possible reasons for why they might refuse to do this. I would be surprised if they do.

Yep, agree with the option of getting a discounted drink for reusing a plastic cup - and more bins at the bars and stages where the masses gather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Christ, where did it all go wrong? this is meant to be the most enlightened generation, educated from an early age about climate change, the environment, sustainability etc...theyre supposedly invested in making the world a better place, with their reusable Starbucks coffee cups, they're liberal enough to vote repeal, gay marriage, divorce etc... but judging by the videos ive seen, underneath it all the people who did this are just vapid, narcissistic excuse of human beings with no regard for anything. throw away culture where nothing really matters, "its ok, ill get another one - someone will clean up after me" attitude. the world really is f*cked. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Kuva wrote: »
    Jaysus, organisers should be forced to clean it up properly....just a bunch of scumbags from Organisers to ticket buyer.

Ehhhh.. They do.. Who do you think does it ??

Simple solution here.
    Charge €20 extra for each ticket (it will still sell out) and put that money towards cleaning the place and recycling what they can afterwards.
    Best solution here is to simply not allow permission for future EPs unless they put a proper plan in place to deal with the mess. Simply dumping it is not a viable solution.

Easy on the outrage there.... They have plans in place to clean, recycle and dispose every year and this is all factored into the price of tickets.

It's a festival.... there's going to be a mess. There's even a mess left after Bloom FFS !!

Advertisement