Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

Zzippy wrote: »
    Presumably a good few players have signed on again but they will drip feed the announcements, especially with season ticket renewals coming up. Hopefully Delahunt is one of them...

I like Delahunt, but can't imagine a signing like that will cause a jump in ticket sales. Definitely want to keep him though. As others have mentioned, all three hookers offer something different and positive, and are worth holding on to.
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Independent claiming that Bristol were one of the teams after Buckley

I had heard something about a month ago about Bristol making a big offer to one of our players that worked with Lam. Denis definitely made the most sense. Delighted he has signed on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I like Delahunt, but can't imagine a signing like that will cause a jump in ticket sales. Definitely want to keep him though. As others have mentioned, all three hookers offer something different and positive, and are worth holding on to.

Agreed, only a big marquee signing announcement would do that. It's not about that though, it's about maintaining a presence in consumer consciousness - frequent announcements of good news (contract signing in this case) pop up in people's social media feeds, etc and act as a reminder to get the ticket, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Would you not think Tierney Martin will be pushing on in the next year or two ?

Only in Academy for now, will be 24 when Heff will be 32, looks ok to follow naturally...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

https://geo.galwaycity.ie/ePlan5/AppFileRefDetails/18402/0

95pc complete on stadium decision...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    Only in Academy for now, will be 24 when Heff will be 32, looks ok to follow naturally...

Half way through his first year in the academy, now a days if players aren’t breaking through by the second/ third year in the academy they won’t tend to make it.
    Murphy has been impressive for the eagles apparently, I’d aim to keep him around and have himself and Tierney battle it out for 4th choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    Lam will make a run at Eoin McKeon or Masterson!
    One of them will possibly leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Dubinusa wrote: »
    Lam will make a run at Eoin McKeon or Masterson!
    One of them will possibly leave!

Masterson is under contract for next season

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Andy Friend will be giving a talk titled 'The Little Things That Make a Difference in High Performance Sport' next Tuesday 19th of February.

Time: 6pm - 7.30pm
    Venue: Arts Millenium Building Lecture hall AM200(Fottrell Theatre)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    Next season then! Pat Lam has a nice budget to spend and Connacht have a lot of lads he may pursue.
    At least I'm guessing.

Next season then! Pat Lam has a nice budget to spend and Connacht have a lot of lads he may pursue.
    At least I'm guessing.

Are you sure he still be in Bristol...

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    At least I'm guessing.

They do but he also has a big budget and can cast the net far and wide for players.

The Friend Zone
    From the craggy rugby pod, Thornbury is out till mid March. Niyi and SOB are in light training so not in contention as yet.

The Friend Zone
    At least I'm guessing.

Highly doubt lam would be after mckeon or masterson, no offense to them but surely he has the budget for higher quality players

Highly doubt lam would be after mckeon or masterson, no offense to them but surely he has the budget for higher quality players

He has a supposed salary cap though, he can't have a squad full of high quality and even higher-paid players.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Andy Friend will be giving a talk titled 'The Little Things That Make a Difference in High Performance Sport' next Tuesday 19th of February.

Time: 6pm - 7.30pm
    Venue: Arts Millenium Building Lecture hall AM200(Fottrell Theatre)

Do you need to sign up or buy tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Do you need to sign up or buy tickets?
    just turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tobdom

Don't hold your breath for news on a decision when it reaches 100%.... that's just the standard 8-week period in which there will be nothing from the Council. A few days before the deadline, they'll probably revert with requests for further information/clarification etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Chris Farrell is starting for Munster tomorrow so you would think we would have the majority of our Irish contingent available.

The Friend Zone
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Chris Farrell is starting for Munster tomorrow so you would think we would have the majority of our Irish contingent available.

Friend confirmed they are all available bar Roux and Aki

The Friend Zone
    KBurke85 wrote: »
    Friend confirmed they are all available bar Roux and Aki

Henderson back for ulster this weekend. Could mean roux gets released back to Connacht after the Italian game. I’d expect bundee and marmion to be the only two players unavailable for the ospreys match

• Advertisement

KBurke85 wrote: »

Hard to believe the muppets on the city council get a say in allocating funding of this magnitude. I wouldn't trust them to build a bus stop.

The Friend Zone
    https://www.connachtrugby.ie/six-nations-quartet-return-to-connacht-squad-for-crucial-pro14-clash-with-cheetahs/

Team named.

15. Darragh Leader 14. Cian Kelleher 13. Tom Farrell 12. Tom Daly 11. Stephen Fitzgerald
    10. Jack Carty 9. Caolin Blade 1. Denis Buckley 2. Tom McCartney 3. Finlay Bealham 4. Ultan Dillane 5. James Cannon 6. Eoin McKeon 7. Colby Fainga’a 8. Jarrad Butler (Capt)

Replacements: 16. Dave Heffernan 17. Peter McCabe 18. Dominic Robertson-McCoy
    19. Cillian Gallagher 20. Paul Boyle 21. Kieran Marmion 22. Conor Fitzgerald 23. Kyle Godwin

Very good team. Interesting to see Daly and S.Fitzgerald are picked ahead of Godwin.
    Make or break for a signing next season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Think that’s the first team selection all year I’m really puzzled by. Godwin on bench is strange. Surprised to see Stephen Fitzgerald starting too although he has done well enough off bench in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Healy must be injured? In fairness who would get ahead of Fitzgerald on the wing? Godwin is a centre, and although he has played there, it was more of a stop gap. Stephen Fitz must be going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Happy enough overall. Not surprised Fitzgerald is ahead of Godwin, he's a centre who can do a job on the wing really but I am a little surprised Daly has been picked ahead of him, I'm guessing it's merited from training and hopefully it goes well. Godwin has been a real moneyball signing for us in the centre, rarely puts in a bad performance so if Daly can bring a similar level then that can only be good.

Are TOH/Healy/Niyi all injured? I still like the look of that team... backrow I hoped for with Boyle to come on. Great to have Ultan and Farrell available, and to see Marmion back fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    macslash wrote: »
    Healy must be injured? In fairness who would get ahead of Fitzgerald on the wing? Godwin is a centre, and although he has played there, it was more of a stop gap. Stephen Fitz must be going well.

Yeah Healy and TOH are presumably injured. The latter has been struggling for form a bit but would still expect him to be ahead of Fitzgerald. Daly ahead of Godwin is a really odd call, Godwin has been excellent in the centre all year.

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Yeah Healy and TOH are presumably injured. The latter has been struggling for form a bit but would still expect him to be ahead of Fitzgerald. Daly ahead of Godwin is a really odd call, Godwin has been excellent in the centre all year.

Godwin is more a 13 though, I think? Daly maybe brings a bit more balance that you wouldn't get with Farrell and Godwin. He'll hopefully have a big impact in second half when he comes on, they may be targeting a tiring Cheetahs defence at that stage and himself and Farrell could make hay...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement