Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

connachta wrote: »
    the others, I just can't believe you can't see the problem, you're biased or blind there?

Never ever in ANY regular championship a team takes a qualifying spot by facing weaker opposition again and again, as much as "that" would be

It's almost like it's an unprecedented situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I'm not talking to Burkie

the others, I just can't believe you can't see the problem, you're biased or blind there?

Never ever in ANY regular championship a team takes a qualifying spot by facing weaker opposition again and again, as much as "that" would be

that's obvious, and terrible. Try to reconsider

No need to add more, now just hope the season finishes on regular basis and the new one starts in December (IRB project to adjust Southern and Northern hemispheres)

Leinster face weaker teams every week....Maybe they shouldn't be allowed to play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    stop replying and winding up Connachta and he will also stop talking about this topic

This goes to all threads on the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Does anyone know what happened with Goddard?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what happened with Goddard?

Was there ever even official confirmation he was signed with the Connacht squad? Obviously I know he was here because there were pics of him training.

In a 2 minute Google the only thing concrete I could find was an indo article stating he was signed as shirt term injury cover for TOH and would be off to Australia at the start of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

b.gud wrote: »
    Was there ever even official confirmation he was signed with the Connacht squad? Obviously I know he was here because there were pics of him training.

In a 2 minute Google the only thing concrete I could find was an indo article stating he was signed as shirt term injury cover for TOH and would be off to Australia at the start of the year

99% sure he's gone, hasn't played for Wegians since December. it would be nice to know for sure, a brief "Will Goddard has returned to the Brumbies" at the end of a squad update wouldn't be too hard. We also have no idea what the story is with Peter Sullivan or Peter McCabe who were announced as being short term deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    99% sure he's gone, hasn't played for Wegians since December. it would be nice to know for sure, a brief "Will Goddard has returned to the Brumbies" at the end of a squad update wouldn't be too hard. We also have no idea what the story is with Peter Sullivan or Peter McCabe who were announced as being short term deals.

They've called Peter Sullivan an academy player in subsequent bits of info

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Purist98

Goddard went back to Aus but think he's being looked at as a future signing full time, Sullivan offered a development deal for next season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me
    Connacht play Irish provinces, when Treviso plays Zebre again and again.
    Hope derbies won't count, if they do and rules are unfairly extended to 8th place for Europe :

Dragons qualified, with 60% of Connacht points
    Treviso qualified, with 50% of their points offered by Zebre
    Connacht totally screwed..

I think your misunderstanding the plan (or maybe I am). We still have Ulster and Munster to play so I think the plan is for the remaining Pro 14 derbys to be played first and then move on to games involving travel overseas. That’s my understanding of this at least. These are games Connacht had to play anyhow so I don’t see how we are being disadvantaged. It’s not like we will be playing inter-pros on loop until the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Redo91 wrote: »
    I think your misunderstanding the plan (or maybe I am). We still have Ulster and Munster to play so I think the plan is for the remaining Pro 14 derbys to be played first and then move on to games involving travel overseas. That’s my understanding of this at least. These are games Connacht had to play anyhow so I don’t see how we are being disadvantaged. It’s not like we will be playing inter-pros on loop until the end of the season.

In fairness it looks like the plan is to just play these games then go to semis, it’s a bit crap but there’s not much can be done. It’s all pie in the sky anyway and there’s no way of really knowing how all the variables will play out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Yeah hope so, but will only happen if next season is on line with South Hemisphere season (January-July)
    It is in discussion. It is the only to have a fair ending, there or finish the season like French (not perfectly fair but approximatly)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me
    salmocab wrote: »
    In fairness it looks like the plan is to just play these games then go to semis, it’s a bit crap but there’s not much can be done. It’s all pie in the sky anyway and there’s no way of really knowing how all the variables will play out.

Ah that’s fair enough. Ya it’s not ideal but what can you do in the circumstances.

Ah that’s fair enough. Ya it’s not ideal but what can you do in the circumstances.

They obviously need to get certain things done possibly related to sponsorship and tv rights. It’s not going to be ideal and we don’t know how any of next years competitions will look yet.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/rugby-season-set-change-forever-18293692

Finsh the season and past European Cups before December
    Restart in January
    Play International rugby in September
    Problem done and dusted
    French will adjust by playing a few more Friendlies/Summer tour next year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    salmocab wrote: »
    They obviously need to get certain things done possibly related to sponsorship and tv rights. It’s not going to be ideal and we don’t know how any of next years competitions will look yet.

TV companies will want something back.

Derbies will probably get decent sign ups for TV

Not everything will get played unless the Lions tour is canned and they come up with a curtailed 20/21 calendar otherwise players will be broken by February or March

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    TV companies will want something back.

Derbies will probably get decent sign ups for TV

Not everything will get played unless the Lions tour is canned and they come up with a curtailed 20/21 calendar otherwise players will be broken by February or March
    Yeah I’d say sponsorship is probably something that needs fulfilling, sponsors pay for x amount of games per season and haven’t got that do I’d think that playing even two interpros might mitigate some of the losses it’s probably the same with not finishing competitions, money has been paid for x and if it’s not played it’s owed back. The two interpros counting for pro 14 might be worth a good bit more than just being effectively friendlies. As I’ve said though there is just too much stuff floating about to really get into any details as everything is just suggestions.

I thought about it again
    They just can't add a game which does not appear in the calendar (for Treviso)
    It won't hold
    I firmly believe it won't

Option :

Finish the regular season, 8 weeks to go, starting with "forseen" derbies on August the 22th
    Even if you add 3 european week-ends, that's good to finish before decembre
    Straight to Grand-final, no play-off

Play 3 international games as Boxing Days
    Restart next season as Super Rugby mid-Junuary to August, both North and South
    Have international window for the future as planned, 2-3 months of Autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    I thought about it again
    It won't hold

Option :

Finish the regular season, 8 weeks to go, starting with "forseen" derbies on August the 22th

The government literally just announced last night all passengers arriving into Ireland have to self isolate for 14 days from next week. Your asking players from 5 different countries/unions to risk the lives of themselves and their families

Seriously man, you have to look at what's going on outside the pro14

freyners wrote: »

Seriously man, you have to look at what's going on outside the pro14

It's raining, so no, thank you:cool:

Mul, it's over
    I thought about it again
    It won't hold

Option :

And how do you propose unions, who heavily rely on internationals are going to stay in business until Autumn 2021 for that considerable revenue? IRFU are looking at losing €20 million or more as a result of covid19 impact

What happens to the Lions tour which i have not seen any discussion about postponing so presumably that still goes ahead as planned?

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    And how do you propose unions, who heavily rely on internationals are going to stay in business until Autumn 2021 for that considerable revenue? IRFU are looking at losing €20 million or more as a result of covid19 impact

What happens to the Lions tour which i have not seen any discussion about postponing so presumably that still goes ahead as planned?

Lions tour is about 20 Pro14 players involved, clubs could and should play at the same time if needed.
    Same for 2 or 2 international games, for a final year before an improvement in this area

Mul, it's over
    Lions tour is about 20 Pro14 players involved, clubs could and should play at the same time if needed.
    Same for 2 or 2 international games, for a final year before an improvement in this area

So players will effectively be playing from August 2020 until November 2021?

Again though, how will unions stay in business if internationals are not played until Autumn 2021? Where is the money going to come from?

The Unions, especially the pro14 ones, need the money and soon. IRFU have already said money will be in short supply by end of Summer.

Not allowed to answer for now, even on calendar
    you are, it seems

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Angus Lloyd has announced on his Instagram he'll be leaving at the end of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    Angus Lloyd has announced on his Instagram he'll be leaving at the end of the season

He just needs to get a Leinster appearance to complete the Grand Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Eir Sport will be showing the 2016 final on Friday the 29th of May at 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tobdom

Are renewals for 20/21 still on hold (or however you want to phrase it)?
    The mail today has kind of confused me, but that might just be me! Last I was aware, we recieved a mail on 24th March saying "Membership Renewals Extended" and that they'd be in touch when they knew more about the future plans..... I haven't missed my opportuinity to renew, have I?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    tobdom wrote: »
    Are renewals for 20/21 still on hold (or however you want to phrase it)?
    The mail today has kind of confused me, but that might just be me! Last I was aware, we recieved a mail on 24th March saying "Membership Renewals Extended" and that they'd be in touch when they knew more about the future plans..... I haven't missed my opportuinity to renew, have I?

Basically there won’t be season tickets for next season. A new membership scheme will be launched which will entitle you to a season ticket the following year. If you look at leinsters announcement from earlier I imagine Connacht are doing something similar

Mul, it's over
    KBurke85 wrote: »
    Basically there won’t be season tickets for next season. A new membership scheme will be launched which will entitle you to a season ticket the following year. If you look at leinsters announcement from earlier I imagine Connacht are doing something similar

Reckon the 4 provinces will do the same as there is no other way really. We don't know when games will take place that isn't BCD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Renewed my season ticket back in February. Would be happy enough for them to keep the money as long as it went towards a ticket for the following season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement