Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bazzo wrote: »
    Oliver is definitely not 6'5" and probably not even 6'

Oliver's listed as 6' and 101kg, exact same size as Fa'ainga. Not sure where the 6'5 and 105kg came from because he's definitely on the smaller size.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Oliver's listed as 6' and 101kg, exact same size as Fa'ainga. Not sure where the 6'5 and 105kg came from because he's definitely on the smaller size.

Pro14 website.
    Anyway exact same size as Fainga'a, don't see the problem.
    We regret Colby, we will love Conor

Madigan ****ing chose Ulster, maybe Bill Johnson won't be happy to be 4th choice and moves west to fight with ex-teamate C.Fitzgerald to play often with us...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

connachta wrote: »
    Pro14 website.

Height/weight only tells part of the story though. For example Michael Lowry and Cheslin Kolbe are roughly the same size but they are not on the same planet athletically. Oliver is not as powerful or explosive as Fainga’a, i do rate him though and reckon he could be a handy player if he can stay fit and get a run of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Ian Madigan just signed for Ulster on a one year deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Madigan ****ing chose Ulster, maybe Bill Johnson won't be happy to be 4th choice and moves west to fight with ex-teamate C.Fitzgerald to play often with us...

Maybe the only option he had was Ulster?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Madigan ****ing chose Ulster

Did he get offered anything from elsewhere?

With Howitz clearly not making it and Luke Carty rumoured released, I was hoping for Maddog. I'm very worrying we consider ok to have 3 OH, 2 of whom under 23 y.o. We need a signing there, and without wasting a NIQ spot on 3rd choice : Johnson, Herron, Reid, Connon, whoever.

Someone knows a decent AIL player, slightly younger than Ronaldson, at worse?

Daragh Small
    @daraghs0
    Bill Johnston to Connacht please.

Matt Cassidy
    @Cass_maitias
    at @daraghs0
    Confirmed

Is it irony or my hope coming true?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Pro14 website.

Colby has very frequently been the best player on pitch for Connacht over last two seasons, massive loss. Oliver might be good signing but doubt he will make close to same impact.

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Colby has very frequently been the best player on pitch for Connacht over last two seasons, massive loss. Oliver might be good signing but doubt he will make close to same impact.

Why?
    when he and Butler came they were said, even in Australia "too small, good players but not making it to the higher level" and so on.

Oliver is younger, but with much more gametime, he could turn to a great player like Colby within 3 years, doesn't he

Mul, it's over
    Why?
    when he and Butler came they were said, even in Australia "too small, good players but not making it to the higher level" and so on.

Oliver is younger, but with much more gametime, he could turn to a great player like Colby within 3 years, doesn't he

If Oliver was close to Fainga’a’s ability he would get far more game time in Munster. Fainga’a had far more game time when he moved, he was players player of the year with Melbourne in super rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Daragh Small
    @daraghs0
    Bill Johnston to Connacht please.

Matt Cassidy
    @Cass_maitias
    at @daraghs0
    Confirmed

Is it irony or my hope coming true?:eek:

Would be shocked if Johnston left ulster so soon, also he hasn’t exactly shone for either Munster or ulster

If Oliver was close to Fainga’a’s ability he would get far more game time in Munster. Fainga’a had far more game time when he moved, he was players player of the year with Melbourne in super rugby.

let's compare at the same age, please. Before 2013 he had only started 9 games. At 22 (Oliver age is 24 and he was hindered by injuries last season)

And you also have to take into account if the same competition for openside spot was there or not. I've no idea how weak Melbourne was for 7 covers fighting with Colby

The Friend Zone
    Don’t think it’s fair to either player to be comparing Oliver to Colby. Colby in my opinion has been the best signing since bundee. Oliver looks a talented player but he’s only ever shown small glimpses of that. I’d be happy if Oliver signs and can stay fit but don’t put pressure of replacing Colby on him because 90% of players won’t be able to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Mul, it's over
    Realistically, Oliver should have been close to first choice openside for Munster these last number of years. It's just that in O'Mahony, they have a blindside who isn't physically dominant, which leaves them having to select for physicality at 7, rather than picking the best openside who reads the game really well so he can support play. You probably couldn't pair POM and Fainga'a either as flankers, because of the the lack of physicality. If you've got a proper physical six, like Sean O'Brien, then Oliver's size/physicality shouldn't be much of an issue.

Realistically, Oliver should have been close to first choice openside for Munster these last number of years. It's just that in O'Mahony, they have a blindside who isn't physically dominant, which leaves them having to select for physicality at 7, rather than picking the best openside who reads the game really well so he can support play. You probably couldn't pair POM and Fainga'a either as flankers, because of the the lack of physicality. If you've got a proper physical six, like Sean O'Brien, then Oliver's size/physicality shouldn't be much of an issue.

Question : is SOB as you think or Paul Boyle are dominant...
    the 1st hasn't really played for ages, the 2nd is too young to say...

Mul, it's over
    let's compare at the same age, please. Before 2013 he had only started 9 games. At 22 (Oliver age is 24 and he was hindered by injuries last season)

And you also have to take into account if the same competition for openside spot was there or not. I've no idea how weak Melbourne was for 7 covers fighting with Colby

I don’t know where you’re getting those figures. Fainga’a played every game in 2011 season for Brumbies when he was twenty, made his debut for them at nineteen.

It doesn’t matter who his competition at seven was at Melbourne, you don’t get players player of the year because you’re in the team, you get it because your teammates think you’ve been their best player all season.

He’s arguably been Connacht’s best player for two years. Regardless of who was joining, it would be a struggle for them to have same impact. He’s been absolutely superb and you’re seriously under estimating him. Oliver is 25 in September and hasn’t shown close to ability of Fainga’a. Obviously I hope it works out but he has huge challenge to replace Fainga’a.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Mul, it's over
    Question : is SOB as you think or Paul Boyle are dominant...
    the 1st hasn't really played for ages, the 2nd is too young to say...

Boyle strikes me as more of a footballing 8 than an ultra-physical 6. But I'll have to make an effort to watch him more closely. I got a bit of stick for suggesting he might not be big and physical enough to be dominant in contact like a Jerome Kaino.

I don’t know where you’re getting those figures. Fainga’a played every game in 2011 season for Brumbies when he was twenty, made his debut for them at nineteen.

Wiki, games/starts

2010 Brumbies 6 2

2011 Brumbies 12 7

2012 Brumbies 1 0

• Advertisement

It doesn’t matter who his competition at seven was at Melbourne, you don’t get players player of the year because you’re in the team,

Of course it matters. Doris was unknown 1 year ago and moved in the Irish team in less than a year. Do you think it would have had happened in the same period without injuries/RWC absences within his competitors?

Mul, it's over
    Of course it matters. Doris was unknown 1 year ago and moved in the Irish team in less than a year. Do you think it would have had happened in the same period without injuries/RWC absences within his competitors?

If Doris was voted player of the year this season by his international team mates your comparison might have meaning. The other sevens had no impact on his teammates thinking he was their best player.

You said he had nine starts before 2013, he played in every game as a twenty year old in 2011 with twelve starts, the Brumbies team was poor but still need to be talented to do so. It’s also a level of experience and exposure far beyond what Oliver has had.

I have no interest in dragging this out any further but suggesting a player who turns twenty five in September and has shown flashes of ability but no more with very limited game time will be able to replace Fainga’a’s absolute class is wildly optimistic at best.

The under appreciation of the ability Fainga’a has consistently shown is bizarre.

The Friend Zone
    Don’t think you can say Doris was unknown a year ago, he’s been a player who’s been touted with a huge future in rugby from a very early age. Doris would 100% have broke through to international level. James Ryan had similar levels of potential and was probably delayed being introduced to senior rugby due to injury

No under-appreciation about Fainga'a, really, you can find post from me 2 years ago, I've always been a big fan. I've even said I would have loved to see him on the Irish jersey, just qualified in August 2023.

What I meant is Colby wasn't considered THAT impressive before proving he is, and maybe, i hope, Oliver will follow this trend.
    It won't be easy, you're right, but he can if he's given a proper chance in a new context.
    It worked so well for Matt Healy, and others to a lesser extent

The Friend Zone
    The real issue here is that the a 8 needs to be signed who can have a similar impact as bundee and faingaa have had. If this player is signed, butler can slot in at 7, with Oliver covering. That would be a scenario where faingaa might not be missed but I would find it hard to imagine funds will be available to sign a player of that level

Wegians89 wrote: »
    The real issue here is that the a 8 needs to be signed who can have a similar impart as bundee and faingaa have had. If this player is signed, butler can slot in at 7, with Oliver covering. That would be a scenario where faingaa might not be missed but I would find it hard to imagine funds will be available to sign a player of that level

100% agree but more optimistic on two points :
    proper competion offered by Oliver to Butler for 7 spot (who, then, could sometimes cover 8)
    And money

Fainga'a money-released will be superior to Oliver contract, and Copeland wasn't on low money.

Problem is last season we seem to "save" and I suspect the new Stadium revamp...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

Hope you all are keeping safe. Here's a few videos to help you all with quarantine

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

Botha's contract not being renewed at Munster. Would be great signing for Connacht if they could get him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Looks like McCartney is finished up per Buckley's insta. What an absolute legend he's been.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Looks like McCartney is finished up per Buckley's insta. What an absolute legend he's been.

False alarm. Looks like he's returning later in the year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement