Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

freyners wrote: »
    Apologies if I am late to the party here. Documentary talking with rodney and his mental health. Worth your 15 mins

https://youtu.be/zlMVu9CXgqk

Delighted to hear that he is working his way through it.
    Just thinking- professional sport must be a very difficult environment for people suffering with depression/self esteem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    Pure joy for jack today,,,, gentleman,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

gally74 wrote: »
    Pure joy for jack today,,,, gentleman,

Japan clubs have big money. Not the greatest match to be involved in, worried about scouts. Hopefully Jack knows he'll be only 31 in 2023 and has another RWC in sight if he stays:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Delighted to hear that he is working his way through it.
    Just thinking- professional sport must be a very difficult environment for people suffering with depression/self esteem.

Absolutely - you would hope that some of the keyboards warriors and abusive clowns in the stands would take note that there are human beings on the pitch whether that be players, officials or management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Injury report from the Advertiser

Ruled out are hooker Jonny Murphy with a head knock, David Heffernan with a calf strain, Cillian Gallagher (knee ), and Colby Fainga'a (thumb ), while Sean O'Brien, Conor Kenny and Robin Copeland only returned to training this week. Shane Delahunt also returned following a hamstring injury, and is fully fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Absolutely delighted for jack. His story is incredible and to boot he’s a very nice guy. Can’t wait to see him back at Connacht with the extra confidence and swagger.

The Friend Zone
    KBurke85 wrote: »
    Injury report from the Advertiser

Ruled out are hooker Jonny Murphy with a head knock, David Heffernan with a calf strain, Cillian Gallagher (knee ), and Colby Fainga'a (thumb ), while Sean O'Brien, Conor Kenny and Robin Copeland only returned to training this week. Shane Delahunt also returned following a hamstring injury, and is fully fit.

Great to hear sob and Copeland back training. Colby will be a big loss

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

Heard on the radio this morning this was Jack's second start. When was his first start for Ireland?

The Friend Zone
    Heard on the radio this morning this was Jack's second start. When was his first start for Ireland?

Wales in the warm ups

So 6) Masterson 7) Boyle 8) Butler 20) E.McKeon
    reserve : the fresher between Copeland and SOB

Right?

• Advertisement

What would be interesting :

4) Roux
    5) Thornbury
    6) Dillane
    7) Boyle
    8) Butler
    19) Macksymiew
    20) McKeon

Add some beef even without Copeland, SOB, Colby and Gallagher

The Friend Zone
    I’d go with:
    1 Buckley
    2 McCartney
    3 bealham
    4 thornbury
    5 roux
    6 mckeon
    7 butler
    8 Boyle
    9 blade
    10 Fitzgerald
    11 Healy
    12 Farrell
    13 Godwin
    14 Fitzgerald
    15 leader

16 delahunt / DTM
    17 McAllister
    18 McCoy
    19 Dillane
    20 masterson
    21 marmion
    22 dean/ Robb
    23 ToH

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

connachta wrote: »
    What would be interesting :

4) Roux
    5) Thornbury
    6) Dillane
    7) Boyle
    8) Butler
    19) Macksymiew
    20) McKeon

Add some beef even without Copeland, SOB, Colby and Gallagher

I wonder would Dillane be regarded as an option at 6. I feel he’s too good to be warming the bench for Connacht, but Quinn Roux adds much needed bulk to a smallish pack and afaik Thornbury is running the Lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    mogwai81 wrote: »
    I wonder would Dillane be regarded as an option at 6. I feel he’s too good to be warming the bench for Connacht, but Quinn Roux adds much needed bulk to a smallish pack and afaik Thornbury is running the Lineout.

I think Roux and Thornbury have both called the lineout for us.

The Friend Zone

There’s 3 games in a row, a week off then 13 games in a row. Dillane, roux and thornbury will all get a fair share of rugby.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    7 butler
    8 Boyle

This way round?

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    This way round?

Yeah don’t think it makes much of a difference really. Both can play both positions. I’d actually think Boyle would be a better 6/8 than 7.

Yeah don’t think it makes much of a difference really. Both can play both positions. I’d actually think Boyle would be a better 6/8 than 7.

Could agree but based on friendlies, Friend should pick Boyle 7 Butler 8

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

There’s 3 games in a row, a week off then 13 games in a row. Dillane, roux and thornbury will all get a fair share of rugby.

Fair point. I know the other Irish teams rotate and have quality players on the bench every week, but Connacht‘s pack can sometimes lack ball carriers and I feel Dillane can be explosive when he’s on song.

The Friend Zone
    Fair point. I know the other Irish teams rotate and have quality players on the bench every week, but Connacht‘s pack can sometimes lack ball carriers and I feel Dillane can be explosive when he’s on song.

Yeah I do agree that ball carriers are lacking. Wouldn’t shift dillane to six though. I’d say dillane vs thornbury will be a big one all year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Good interviews with Friend, Blade and Thornbury on craggy rugby patreon page.

https://www.patreon.com/craggyrugby

Friend and Blade sounding confident. Plenty of praise for Conor Fitzgerald from Friend, seems to have really impressed everyone in pre season. Friend acknowledged they f**ked up against weakened Ospreys last season but is adamant mistake won’t be repeated.

The Friend Zone
    Team named

Connacht Matchday Squad:
    (15-9) Tiernan O’Halloran, Stephen Fitzgerald, Kyle Godwin, Tom Daly, Matt Healy, Conor Fitzgerald, Caolin Blade, (1-8) Paddy McAllister, Tom McCartney, Finlay Bealham, Gavin Thornbury, Quinn Roux, Eoghan Masterson, Colby Fainga’a, Jarrad Butler (Capt).
    Replacements (16-23): Shane Delahunt, Denis Buckley, Dominic Robertson-McCoy, Ultan Dillane, Eoin McKeon, Kieran Marmion, Peter Robb, Darragh Leader.

The Friend Zone
    Scarlets v Connacht (Parc y Scarlets, 17:15)

15 Johnny McNicholl; 14 Ryan Conbeer, 13 Steff Hughes (capt), 12 Paul Asquith, 11 Steff Evans; 10 Dan Jones, 9 Kieran Hardy; 1 Rob Evans, 2 Marc Jones, 3 Samson Lee, 4 Steve Cummins, 5 Lewis Rawlins, 6 Tom Phillips, 7 Josh Macleod 8 Uzair Cassiem.

Reps: 16 Taylor Davies, 17 Phil Price, 18 Werner Kruger, 19 Josh Helps, 20 Dan Davis, 21 Dane Blacker, 22 Angus O'Brien, 23 Corey Baldwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Fainga'a is a nice surprise.. Buckley on the bench already, wonder if there's a niggle or if management are really impressed with McAllister

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Mul, it's over
    Team named

Connacht Matchday Squad:
    (15-9) Tiernan O’Halloran, Stephen Fitzgerald, Kyle Godwin, Tom Daly, Matt Healy, Conor Fitzgerald, Caolin Blade, (1-8) Paddy McAllister, Tom McCartney, Finlay Bealham, Gavin Thornbury, Quinn Roux, Eoghan Masterson, Colby Fainga’a, Jarrad Butler (Capt).
    Replacements (16-23): Shane Delahunt, Denis Buckley, Dominic Robertson-McCoy, Ultan Dillane, Eoin McKeon, Kieran Marmion, Peter Robb, Darragh Leader.

That's a very strong bench.

Wow Buckley on the bench (and not dropped, so fit), that's a huge surprise. McAllister should well be on fire!

Wegians you were right no Farrell, should carry a knock, but TBF I'm happy with Daly and Robb bringing power in the ruck

And I was right about Godwin covering 10 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Evil_g wrote: »

Godwin to cover 10? Horowitz must be injured although I don't remember hearing it? Farrell also ruled out?

Evil_g wrote: »

Hell yeah and no Kruger neither Lamb on theirs.
    There's a coup to accomplish in Llanelli, guys!!!

Have we ever won here? Even in our glory year, we lost on a harsh last pen against Loughney if I remember well

The Friend Zone
    testtech05 wrote: »
    Godwin to cover 10? Horowitz must be injured although I don't remember hearing it? Farrell also ruled out?

Mightn't be injured just not picked this week. Friend did say he expected some players to be disappointed as with the squad depth some good players would miss out

• Advertisement

Mightn't be injured just not picked this week. Friend did say he expected some players to be disappointed as with the squad depth some good players would miss out

Too many good players :p. But Ireland will be interested in some in February if they go well.
    Blade, Thornbury, Dillane, Farrell have already done training sessions...
    + Bealham and Marms of course
    (Roux's time has gone for Ireland IMO, Kleyn will do this king of job)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement