Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do non dubs want to see Tyrone win? See warning post #219

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,926 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What other Irish sporting personality would be subject to such a "skit" weeks after his daughters very public murder ?

Any one of them, if they had returned to public life and done something that deserved to be lampooned. And Harte had.

He was annoyed his canvas on behalf of Brian Carty fell on deaf ears (correctly) and became public (also correctly).

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

Patww79 wrote: »
    He's the one still using it to help win football matches, which is far worse that anything RTÉ did even on the off chance they did mean anything by it.

and the bigotry continues . . if such a pathetic dirty low life stunt was done to any other Irish sports personality there would rightly be outrage . . you just can't stand the fact it totally backfired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The skit on Mickey Harte was done a few weeks after his daughter was murdered on honeymoon, a murder that was national news for weeks, and the skit and song was done and aired very deliberately. It wouldn't have been acceptable if it was done to any other sports personality. So attempting name calling and trying to insult anyone who thinks was not ok, and that this type of disgraceful action by the national broadcaster should be stood up against, speaks volumes of the bigotry.

Do you believe John Murray was making (attempting to make) a joke about Michaela Harte being murdered?

That is what this whole "Mickey is in the right" support boils down to as that is what he is inferring and people like you are buying.

Harte is a born leader, influencer, figurehead and he knows it, for all these traits that have made him a successful manager and indeed done some good community work and campaigns in strong beliefs he has, he knows well how to manipulate others (whether it is to his advantage or people around him's advantage)

So, yeah, he has manipulated you into thinking Murray/RTE were using Michaela Harte's murder to have a dig at Harte

Good for you then. I am out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

and the bigotry continues . . if such a pathetic dirty low life stunt was done to any other Irish sports personality there would rightly be outrage

You can keep saying the word bigotry but it won't make it true. The man has a long long list of very questionable acts to his name, using this would be just another on the list.

and the bigotry continues . . if such a pathetic dirty low life stunt was done to any other Irish sports personality there would rightly be outrage . . you just can't stand the fact it totally backfired.

Three personalities were lampooned on the Up For The Match programme. Celebs and personalities are lampooned all the time, some more viciously than others.

• Advertisement

You can keep saying the word bigotry but it won't make it true. The man has a long long list of very questionable acts to his name, using this would be just another on the list.

so two wrongs make a right and that makes making skits about their daughter's murder ok ? yeah right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

I think that anyone who thinks that skitting the man weeks after his daughters brutal murder was ok needs a good look in the mirror. There should have been no piss taking out of the man in those weeks, none. I don't care what his public persona is. He'd been through enough and that was uncalled for and frankly disgusting. In the age of mental health awareness and all that goes with it, you'd think we'd have matured to be sensitive to people in turmoil or crisis, but ah no, rip the piss out of him, sure it's only a laugh.... disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It wasn't 'gratuitous'. They were doing a perfectly acceptable skit on Tyrone as a start the week item on a magazine show. As innocuous and inoffensive magazine show as John Murray is.

The idea that he suddenly decided to lampoon a tragically dead girl to get at Mickey Harte is one of the most fabulous conspiracy theories I have ever heard.

RTÉ had massive coverage of his daughter's death, they should have known better than to use a skit which would suggest a connection to it and a connection is certainly what I thought when I heard it.

It is like Barry bread on the head, if you have a public forum then you must act responsibly. At least Barry took responsibility and resigned, which nobody in RTÉ has done.

What questionable acts?

Three personalities were lampooned on the Up For The Match programme. Celebs and personalities are lampooned all the time

Just after their daughters extremely publicized savage murder on her honeymoon, and including a song about a pretty little girl for good measure ? happens all the time to Irish sporting personalities ? yeah right . ..

RTÉ had massive coverage of his daughter's death, they should have known better than to use a skit which would suggest a connection to it and a connection is certainly what I thought when I heard it.

It is like Barry bread on the head, if you have a public forum then you must act responsibly. At least Barry took responsibility and resigned, which nobody in RTÉ has done.

You want somebody to relinquish their career for using a song synonymous with Tyrone as a county, which somebody took offence to?????

That is shocking tbh.

They have more than apologised that Harte saw it as them being offensive. I used to ask, 'what more do you or he want?'

Are you saying Harte will drop his complaint if somebody's head rolls???? :eek:

• Advertisement

What questionable acts?

There's a good long list earlier in the thread. Trying to keep rapists from being convicted being about top of the list.

so two wrongs make a right and that makes making skits about their daughter's murder ok ? yeah right.

Using some furore around your daughters murder as part of another motivational tool for a football team isn't alright anyway, that's for sure. The man doesn't even believe it was the case, it just suits him to keep it running.

Just after their daughters extremely publicized savage murder on her honeymoon, and including a song about a pretty little girl for good measure ? happens all the time to Irish sporting personalities ? yeah right . ..

Was Michella from Omagh?

There's a good long list earlier in the thread. Trying to keep rapists from being convicted being about top of the list.

Are you suggesting that he did not tell the truth?

Are you suggesting that he did not tell the truth?

So you know what he did, why bother asking?

Was Michella from Omagh?

Why not just use the Mountains of Pomeroy which is the normal association with Tyrone at GAA games?

Using some furore around your daughters murder as part of another motivational tool for a football team isn't alright anyway, that's for sure. The man doesn't even believe it was the case, it just suits him to keep it running.

Somebody here, in support of Harte, made the very distasteful and ridiculous comment that the boycott was to keep her memory alive.

So you know what he did, why bother asking?

Did he not tell the truth? Is it not the business of the court to solict truthful evidence and then decide. You seem to advocating withholding evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,210 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think it's the David v Goliath thing with people. There's always a bit of a gra for the small fellow. It's human nature to want the underdog to win.

Why not just use the Mountains of Pomeroy which is the normal association with Tyrone at GAA games?

How many people would get the reference to Tyrone in that?

TV and Radio reduce things like that to the lowest common denominator all the time, hence diddly aye music as a soundtrack when the BBC do anything on Ireland.
    Murray's skits were not the height of sophistication tbh, I listened regularly as my Dad liked him. Probably because he was the most inoffensive host on the radio.

• Advertisement

Did he not tell the truth? Is it not the business of the court to solict truthful evidence and then decide. You seem to advocating withholding evidence.

If you are hiding behind a ridiculous argument like that because of inability to criticise Harte then there really is no hope at all for some of you.

Was Michella from Omagh?

Did she have to be ? If I made a skit about you and your murdered daughter just weeks after her murder, and aired it on a national broadcast, but the song said she was from somewhere else in your county, would that make it ok would it ?

Did she have to be. If I made a skit about you and your murdered daughter just weeks after her murder, but the song said she was from somewhere else in your county, would that make it ok would it ?

If it had absolutely nothing to do with it then it would definitely be ok. Unless you needed to twist it a bit to suit some motivational use.

Did she have to be ? If I made a skit about you and your murdered daughter just weeks after her murder, and aired it on national television, but the song said she was from somewhere else in your county, would that make it ok would it ?

Television??

You haven't a clue, do you!

EDIT: Nice attempt to save. You are one of these eegits that has read a few threads on the subject and some very scattered together balls.ie columns and haven't even the ability to use your own judgment on nwhat happened, methinks

I reckon you you never heard about the whole thing until recently

Did she have to be. If I made a skit about you and your murdered daughter just weeks after her murder, but the song said she was from somewhere else in your county, would that make it ok would it ?

Well I would firstly appreciate that the song was emblematic of my county and secondly I would assess is this programme in the habit of coming remotely near to lampooning dead people in an effort to annoy somebody and thirdly, I would listen to what they have to say in defence.
    Not go into a silent huff and decline any intervention and I certainly would not involve young players trying to make a name for themselves and making a huge effort and sacrifice to do so.
    I have no doubt you will hear more criticism of the dictatorship Harte runs when he has left the stage.

If you are hiding behind a ridiculous argument like that because of inability to criticise Harte then there really is no hope at all for some of you.

I am not hiding anywhere. I am perfectly able to criticise Harte, I am not from Tyrone and I think his teams have disgusting techniques at times.

But as I said, when in a court do you tell the simple truth or do you decide for yourself if the person is guilty and tailor your evidence accordingly?

Television??

You haven't a clue, do you!

EDIT: Nice attempt to save. You are one of these eegits that has read a few threads on the subject and some very scattered together balls.ie columns and haven't even the ability to use your own judgment on nwhat happened, methinks

I reckon you you never heard about the whole thing until recently

so your only defense to broadcasting a skit about someone who's daughter had just been murdered, is hurling personal abuse and name calling ? Says it all really.

so your only defense to broadcasting a skit about someone who's daughter had just been murdered, is hurling personal abuse and name calling ? Says it all really.

Personal abuse!! Give over! You are an anonymous avatar to me on an internet forum who is, in my opinion, just trying to garner some controversy and make yourself a protagonist in the thread. I have seen this all before,.

I am not defending the skit, it was pretty poor tbh and, yes, it was ill timed to be slagging off Harte in public, but the meaning behind it was what it was and was justified in that sense. I feel no guilt about calling someone (an avatar) out who is accusing a person of making a mockery of Michaela Harte's murder.

It is a pretty personal and sickening allegation to make. If you think my judgment on you for accusing someone of this is out of order, go cry a river. It seems the victim complex is infectious.

The only one who is getting unjustified personal abuse is Murray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I am sorry, but it is a sickening allegation to make that someone would be making a mockery of a young murdered woman.

Thia in another one of those rare occasions that I agree 100 percent with TTB!!

I find it difficult to believe it was intentional too. The only thing was MH was not fair game at the time.

• Advertisement

Personal abuse!! Give over! You are an anonymous avatar to me on an internet forum who is, in my opinion, just trying to garner some controversy and make yourself a protagonist in the thread. I have seen this all before,.

I am not defending the skit, it was pretty poor tbh and, yes, it was ill timed to be slagging off Harte in public, but the meaning behind it was what it was and was justified in that sense. I feel no guilt about calling someone out who is accusing a person (avatar) of making a mockery of Michaela Harte's murder.

It is a pretty personal and sickening allegation to make. If you think my judgment on you for accusing someone of this is out of order, go cry a river. It seems the victim complex is infectious.

The only one who is getting unjustified personal abuse is Murray.

so as expected absolutely no defence for the skit, and as for the rest of the personal abuse again . . thanks for proving the point again.

so as expected absolutely no defence for the skit, and as for the rest of the personal abuse again . . thanks for proving the point again.

No, my point has always been about defending Murray against kind souls like yourself alleging he was mocking a dead woman. Very different, good sir,

But, yeah, timing aside, the meaning behind the skit was damn on point.

And frankly If Harte felt it was fair game to be launching into campaigns against RTE at the time, he is also fair game for being called out on it. Sh*t skit, right message.

Hope that clears it up for you, dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭speckled_park

I hope it is a good game and that Tyrone win.

I usually support the underdogs.
    Nice to see different teams win year on year.
    Good to see Sam go up north, Liam will probably never make it.

Dont mind seeing Dublin win thou, they play great football. Im from Laois so not the biggest fan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

I would like to see Dublin do 4-in-a-row.

2 dictator managers but I am not fond of Harte.

strange comment there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I am not hiding anywhere. I am perfectly able to criticise Harte, I am not from Tyrone and I think his teams have disgusting techniques at times.

But as I said, when in a court do you tell the simple truth or do you decide for yourself if the person is guilty and tailor your evidence accordingly?

The person had already been found guilty when Harte wrote his letter.

It was done at sentencing stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I’m revising my opinion after watching Charlie Redmond on up for match last night- I now want Tyrone to hammer Dublin.

Jeez he’s some smug, unfunny, inarticulate...

Surely they could have gotten someone better than that ‘soccer am’ style humour peddling goon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

I’m revising my opinion after watching Charlie Redmond on up for match last night- I now want Tyrone to hammer Dublin.

Jeez he’s some smug, unfunny, inarticulate...

Surely they could have gotten someone better than that ‘soccer am’ style humour peddling goon

Feeling better now ?

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

I was expecting nothing but hate for Dublin on here, so I'm pleasantly surprised. Hopefully Dublin win but don't worry rest of country, our reign will end sooner or later, it always does for great teams.

dunnerc wrote: »
    Feeling better now ?

Yeah, thanks.
    I was feeling good anyway but after a bowl of coco pops and an outlining of my opinion- i feel great.

How are you feeling?

Redmond isn't involved with the team today.

Redmond isn't involved with the team today.

I'm aware of this- however I'm a very fickle person and his general goonery has tipped me over to wanting Tyrone to win.

At least there might be a spare ticket knocking about for the game today as I'd imagine Charlie got himself locked inside a broom closet or toilet cubicle in the RTE studios and still hasn't managed to get out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

I'm aware of this- however I'm a very fickle person and his general goonery has tipped me over to wanting Tyrone to win.

At least there might be a spare ticket knocking about for the game today as I'd imagine Charlie got himself locked inside a broom closet or toilet cubicle in the RTE studios and still hasn't managed to get out

Have another bowl of coco pops and chill maybe ?

dunnerc wrote: »
    Have another bowl of coco pops and chill maybe ?

Haha- that might well be good advice.

I guess in a roundabout way- its more RTE that annoys me with the constant bringing out of B quality 'characters' for cheap laughs and innuendos- like philomena begley for godsake.

As an aside coco pops have changed the flavour and theres now less sugar-pure folly if you ask me. You only eat coco pops for the sugar so they are losing their USP. Is there a coco pops thread on boards that I could be redirected to?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Shane12

Hopefully the ref will let the game flow, I wasn't really looking forward to this game for the last few weeks but this morning I am kinda looking forward to it. It would be nice to see a contest like the 2 preceding finals.

Tyrone will be better off if the ref gets the call from HQ to let the game flow, then controlled aggression could be a weapon for them.

I suppose I think I want Tyrone to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Hopefully a decent contest. It needs it. Hurling has overshadowed football this season by a long shot.

In fairness, I can get on board with that. In this new world of pants in a bunch weaklings I love to see a bit of irrational hatred in sport. Would be nothing without it.

No, my point has always been about defending Murray against kind souls like yourself alleging he was mocking a dead woman. Very different, good sir,

And frankly If Harte felt it was fair game to be launching into campaigns against RTE at the time, he is also fair game for being called out on it. Sh*t skit, right message.

It clears up what you are all right, thanks luv.

It clears up what you are all right, thanks luv.

Took you long enough.

It gives me hope you might cop yourself on and stop spreading malicious allegations that someone was deliberately mocking a murdered young woman's death to get a dig in at her father.

Ludicrous and sickening accusation

Took you long enough.

It gives me hope you might cop yourself on and stop spreading malicious allegations that someone was deliberately mocking a murdered young woman's death to get a dig in at her father.

Ludicrous and sickening accusation

Some of us don't have to sit up all night foaming at the mouth about a football manager.

It isn't an accusation, the skit put on very deliberately just after his daughters extremely publicised murder is fact, but keep displaying your ignorance and keep defending the indefensible.

It isn't an accusation, the skit put on very deliberately just after his daughters extremely publicised murder is fact, but keep displaying your ignorance and keep defending the indefensible.

It was 6 month's after his daughter's untimely death. And Harte was back in the thick of his public life, attempting to get Brian Carty promoted.

Not 'just after'.

Michaella died on the 10th January 2011, the sketch went out on the 9th June. Stop sensationalising maybe?

It was 6 month's after his daughter's untimely death. And Harte was back in the thick of his public life, attempting to get Brian Carty promoted.

Not 'just after'.

Michaella died on the 10th January 2011, the sketch went out on the 9th June. Stop sensationalising maybe?

The murder investigation was still ongoing and it was very much in the news, so if I waited six months to do a skit about you and you murdered daughter, during the investigation that would be ok would it ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement