Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leonards Motors - I don't recommend this place

Options
  • 29-08-2018 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I had two experiences with Leonards Motors Limerick and I definitely don't recommend this shop:

1. In spring 2018 I book a test drive for a Mazda3 having the intention to buy a new or second-hand car from this shop. The test drive was a disappointment because I was allowed to drive for a very short distance/time on a crowded road. After the test drive, I had a discussion with the salesperson (Leonards in person) and I was so disappointed because he didn't have a computer to configure a car or give me more info regarding different options and specs. He had only the available cars printed on papers which is not something I would expect for a car dealer in 2018. Later I discovered that his prices were worse when compared with other Mazda dealers.
    The worst part was when I asked him about second-hand Mazda cars. He was so upset that I booked a test drive in a new car and now I am interested in second-hand cars. His behaviour made me feel so bad and I realised that I don't want to deal with that person anymore.

2. Later I bought a second-hand car from another dealer and I gave a second chance to this shop since it is the closest to my house. I called the service to make an appointment for a normal service (oil, filters, etc). Because they were fully booked in the next 2 months, I searched for another Mazda official dealer to service the car (the car was almost 3 years old so I wanted to service the car as soon as possible for peace of mind). A month after I serviced the car on another Mazda dealer, I discovered some warranty issues (small ones) that I wanted to address before my warranty will expire. I went to Leonards Motors (this time to the service office) and I requested them to fix the warranty issues. After they checked the car, they informed me that they will not address the issues in my car without giving me any reason. I pushed back and at the end, they informed me that I should go to the shop that serviced my car a month ago. I was so surprised and mad when I heard this and I just walked away. As far as I am aware, this is an abuse since I had a valid warranty and the car was serviced only at Mazda authorised dealers.
    These are the reasons why I don' recommend this shop/service and I will never go there (I can go to Charleville or Ennis although I need to drive a bit).

I hope this is helpful for others that are thinking to go there to buy a car or for a service.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'm a customer and I have never had any issues with them.

Any dealer would be annoyed if after test driving a brand new car you then told him your were actually more interested in a second hand car.

I'm actually astounded that you think that Leonards should honour a warranty on second hand car from another dealer. It doesn't work like that.

I think that your expectations are above what is realistic from an Irish car dealership.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I'm a customer and I have never had any issues with them.

Any dealer would be annoyed if after test driving a brand new car you then told him your were actually more interested in a second hand car.

I'm actually astounded that you think that Leonards should honour a warranty on second hand car from another dealer. It doesn't work like that.

I think that your expectations are above what is realistic from an Irish car dealership.
    I've never dealt with them so I have no idea if they're good or bad. I'd imagine the OP was referring to the manufacturer warranty and not a dealer specific warranty. I don't really see the problem testing a new car if you're looking for a new or very fresh second hand car. I'd be annoyed if it was a much older car too though. I believe there is more profit in the second hand car for dealers anyway.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Why would you expect one garage to honour the warranty on a vehicle from a another garage or have I missed something? Also test driving a new car only to buy a 3 year old car?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Not surprised - I've heard the same about this dealership tbh. Most dealerships are much the same, although I've experienced a lot better in Cavanaghs & Kerry Motor Works.

If the car is covered under a Mazda warranty, then any Mazda garage should be able to do the work, but would have brought it back to the Mazda garage that performed the original work. Did you ring HO about your treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Why would you expect one garage to honour the warranty on a vehicle from a another garage or have I missed something? Also test driving a new car only to buy a 3 year old car?

It's a manufacturers warranty

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »

That's not clear though. The OP said that that had work done in another garage and was advised to return to that garage. It may not actually be a warranty issue if work was done on it elsewhere.

Mc Love wrote:

Ok but why not bring it to the dealership where it was bought. He already messed Lenords around with the test drive they were hardly going to be thrilled to see him back with a car from a different dealership for a warranty issue.

Mc Love wrote:

Where does the OP state it's a manufacturer warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Mc Love wrote: »
    Not surprised - I've heard the same about this dealership tbh. Most dealerships are much the same, although I've experienced a lot better in Cavanaghs & Kerry Motor Works.

If the car is covered under a Mazda warranty, then any Mazda garage should be able to do the work, but would have brought it back to the Mazda garage that performed the original work. Did you ring HO about your treatment?

i have heard the same thing as well about them & thats was from a person who bought a new car/suv off them. Not very Good.

i have heard the same thing as well about them & thats was from a person who bought a new car/suv off them. Not very Good.

I bought a new car off them and have had no issues. I'd have no problem buying from them again. The thing is I've heard at least one bad story about nearly every dealership in Limerick. Sometimes people expect more than they're entitled to.

• Advertisement

I bought a new car off them and have had no issues. I'd have no problem buying from them again. The thing is I've heard at least one bad story about nearly every dealership in Limerick. Sometimes people expect more than they're entitled to.

ya i think you are right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Actually how do they get away with parking all the cars on a public road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

I don’t see what the issue is with a test drive. It’s not a commitment to buy. New cars are not cheap, surely you’re entitled to take a test drive to make a informed opinion on a car. If you decide not to buy so what. Any dealer that gets annoyed over this is not someone that is worth dealing with, not very good customer service.

If the warranty issues are manufacturers warranty then the Mazda dealer should have honoured the warranty, if just standard warranty then there’s no onus on the Mazda dealer to sort out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Where does the OP state it's a manufacturer warranty?

He states the car is a nearly 3 years old, and he also states it's a Mazda. Correlating the two together, and knowing that Mazda give a 3 year warranty with new cars, it's a given that it's a manufacturer's warranty.

He states the car is a nearly 3 years old, and he also states it's a Mazda. Correlating the two together, and knowing that Mazda give a 3 year warranty with new cars, it's a given that it's a manufacturer's warranty.

Still seems odd he didn't ask the dealer he bought it off to address the warranty issues. Usually 2 sides to a story. We have only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ok but why not bring it to the dealership where it was bought. He already messed Lenords around with the test drive they were hardly going to be thrilled to see him back with a car from a different dealership for a warranty issue.

Whoa, he hardly messed them around by taking a test drive and not buying.
    The job of the salesperson is to sell. OP was clearly in the market for something seeing as they bought elsewhere.

Ive only had one interaction with this garage, and it wasn’t positive either, nothing major, just a completely different style of service to what I’d expect. They’re in business a good while so probably have their own way of doing things.

If the OP has a Mazda under manufacturers warranty and live in Limerick city, why should they drive to Ennis or Charleville to get warranty work? Mazda Ireland pay the dealer to do the work and it’s one of the functions of a dealer network.

Reminds me of the guy in the bike shop who refused to fix punctures for kids or do any work on their Halfords supplied bikes. Sour grapes.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Whoa, he hardly messed them around by taking a test drive and not buying. The job of the salesperson is to sell. OP was clearly in the market for something seeing as they bought elsewhere.

He got his test drive then said to the salesman he was looking for a secondhand car. Seems to me the salesman thought he was messing around.

Still seems odd he didn't ask the dealer he bought it off to address the warranty issues. Usually 2 sides to a story. We have only one.

Maybe it was a lot closer. I for instance bought my car in Fermoy. My car still had a manufactures warranty on it (just ran out :() I would definitely bring it to my local dealership for warranty work rather than trying to get the car to Fermoy.

He got his test drive then said to the salesman he was looking for a secondhand car. Seems to me the salesman thought he was messing around.

He bought a two year old car. I think it’s reasonable to think he was genuinely considering a new one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Why would he, when Leonard's is the nearest to him?

• Advertisement

Why would he, when Leonard's is the nearest to him?

Maybe Leonard's were too busy to do work within the warranty timeframe or after inspection they weren't warranty issues. How knows as the OP has disappeared since his first and last post.

Maybe Leonard's were too busy to do work within the warranty timeframe or after inspection they weren't warranty issues. How knows as the OP has disappeared since his first and last post.

He has only posted 5 times since he joined & they have all being question type/looking for help posts.

He has only posted 5 times since he joined & they have all being question type/looking for help posts.

Just referring to this thread he has clarified nothing since his op.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Did a test drive on one of their cars and the lad is in the car with you the whole test-drive, where other dealers let you drive the car around for a few mins and inspect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Don't think that's breaking any rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Did a test drive on one of their cars and the lad is in the car with you the whole test-drive, where other dealers let you drive the car around for a few mins and inspect it.

Perfectly reasonable for them to stay in the car with you to be fair. You’re taking a big risk handing over €25k of a car to a stranger.

Irish_rat wrote: »

Not with a new car. They generally don't have plates so someone from the dealership goes with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Not with a new car. They generally don't have plates so someone from the dealership goes with you.

Aren't they Demos? I was given one for a weekend and the salesman didn't come home with me (not from Lenords). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

It might be a Leonard's motors thing but I've test driven two used cars with them over the years & both times a sales person came along for the ride, they didn't put me under pressure as regards the length of the drive, bought twice, got a great deal with one, the other was a bit of a lemon, never had any rudeness or anything like that in fairness to them, would buy again from them if they had the right car at the right price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Friend of mine traded in his car with them, about 2 years later he started getting phone calls and letters stating the car he gave them in the trade had been previously crashed!! All completely out of the blue and unbeknown to him!! Nothing ever came of it but it sounded like they were trying something on if I'm honest!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement