Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US preclearance Dublin airport terminal 2

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

Cbp won't lift the shutters until 7am.
    Only 1 location in preclearence for hot food.
    Would recommend relaxing in the oak bar or o briens before, or chocolate bar after you go through Irish security.
    But once your go through cbp security it's very limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Cbp won't lift the shutters until 7am.
    Only 1 location in preclearence for hot food.
    Would recommend relaxing in the oak bar or o briens before, or chocolate bar after you go through Irish security.
    But once your go through cbp security it's very limited.

cool thanks for that as mentioned above i take it after the irish security i can grab a bit here i take it the irish and us security are not directly after each other? thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

revoke12 wrote: »
    cool thanks for that as mentioned above i take it after the irish security i can grab a bit here i take it the irish and us security are not directly after each other? thank you

After airport ('Irish') security you have a raft of eating and shopping options, you will be in the same departure area as everyone else flying out of T2. Check out the food options there and get yourself some grub, then follow the signs to downstairs for US pre-clearance, they are not immediately one after the other.

You talk about 'us security', it's really just a stand-up conversation with a Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) agent, nothing like the rigmarole upstairs with body scanners and conveyors for bags.

coylemj wrote: »
    After airport ('Irish') security you have a raft of eating and shopping options, you will be in the same departure area as everyone else flying out of T2. Check out the food options there and get yourself some grub, then follow the signs to downstairs for US pre-clearance, they are not immediately one after the other.

You talk about 'us security', it's really just a stand-up conversation with a Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) agent, nothing like the rigmarole upstairs with body scanners and conveyors for bags.

cool thanks as i say havnt gone through us border control so not sure what to expect. do ques be long for the us border control also is it only about 10-15 mins and your through again or is it just a series of questions and through in a few mins

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

revoke12 wrote: »
    cool thanks as i say havnt gone through us border control so not sure what to expect. do ques be long for the us border control also is it only about 10-15 mins and your through again or is it just a series of questions and through in a few mins

You go through normal airport security (conveyor belt, bags, metal detector, etc). Then you're in the general eating/drinking/shopping area.

Then you head downstairs to the US clearance area. At that point you'll go through another security scan (conveyor belt, bags, metal detector). They're inclined to ask you to take your shoes off. After that you're straight into another queue (like a check-in desk queue).

You will be asked to stop at a certain point, then someone will direct you to a numbered box to stand in (just a painted box on the floor). You'll be called to a desk from there, the agent will take your passport, scan it, then take your finger prints and photo (digital, no ink involved). You'll be shown a photo of any bags you checked in and asked to confirm if it's yours. They may ask a few questions (purpose of travel, general chit chat or more pointed questions).
    Then they'll stamp your passport and you're on your way. The bit at the desk only takes a few minutes.

After you go through, there's a few small shops - a tiny duty free, a coffee/sandwich kiosk type thing and one or two others. No major "sit down and have a full fry" style places.

The Dublin Airport App theoretically shows the estimated queue time at Irish airport security and US CBP. When it's working it's great, but sometimes there are just no numbers showing there at all.

• Advertisement

Thoie wrote: »
    You go through normal airport security (conveyor belt, bags, metal detector, etc). Then you're in the general eating/drinking/shopping area.

Then you head downstairs to the US clearance area. At that point you'll go through another security scan (conveyor belt, bags, metal detector). They're inclined to ask you to take your shoes off. After that you're straight into another queue (like a check-in desk queue).

You will be asked to stop at a certain point, then someone will direct you to a numbered box to stand in (just a painted box on the floor). You'll be called to a desk from there, the agent will take your passport, scan it, then take your finger prints and photo (digital, no ink involved). You'll be shown a photo of any bags you checked in and asked to confirm if it's yours. They may ask a few questions (purpose of travel, general chit chat or more pointed questions).
    Then they'll stamp your passport and you're on your way. The bit at the desk only takes a few minutes.

After you go through, there's a few small shops - a tiny duty free, a coffee/sandwich kiosk type thing and one or two others. No major "sit down and have a full fry" style places.

The Dublin Airport App theoretically shows the estimated queue time at Irish airport security and US CBP. When it's working it's great, but sometimes there are just no numbers showing there at all.

Great thanks a mill for all the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thoie wrote: »

When travelling as a family with 2 minors are you called as a group to the desk?

Do minors have a photo and fingerprinting done?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

vicwatson wrote: »
    When travelling as a family with 2 minors are you called as a group to the desk?

Do minors have a photo and fingerprinting done?

Cheers

Answer to the first question is yes. you're called as a group (Partner and myself were and I've seen families called at the same time).

Not sure on the minors being fingerprinted/photographed but my guess is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Answer to the first question is yes. you're called as a group (Partner and myself were and I've seen families called at the same time).

Photos, sometimes, prints for kids no.

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't know for certain, my kids travel on their US passports so I don't know for non US kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Depends on the age. I can't remember which time it was we went through but one of the kids would have been around 8 at the time and she wasn't asked for fingerprint whereas the 11-12 year old was. This would have been around 2010/11 so it might have changed since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

No photos or fingerprints for under 14s iirc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,024 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Not sure about these new facial recognition systems in airports in America. So often Homeland Security does things in the name of security without asking (e.g., PATRIOT Act). My pharmacy uses such a system. They immediately know who I am by name, driver's license, and health care plan the moment I step up to counter. Don't ask for ID. Give me my prescription. Not sure if there is a minimum age requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Do you have to use the automated machines?

Per Aer Lingus Website

US Preclearance in 3 easy steps

1. Complete TSA security screening (this is the American security screening standard)
    2. Self-process using one of our 18 self–service kiosks. These are available to US citizens and ESTA* passengers. US Citizens transaction time is 40 seconds and ESTA passengers 80 seconds at the kiosks.
      - Scan your passport
      - Have your photo taken
      - ESTA passengers: scan your fingerprints
      - Approval receipt is issued
    3. Now present your approval receipt and passport to a US Preclearance of officer for a brief inspection
    Or is it a choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

vicwatson wrote: »
    Do you have to use the automated machines?

Per Aer Lingus Website

US Preclearance in 3 easy steps

1. Complete TSA security screening (this is the American security screening standard)
    2. Self-process using one of our 18 self–service kiosks. These are available to US citizens and ESTA* passengers. US Citizens transaction time is 40 seconds and ESTA passengers 80 seconds at the kiosks.
      - Scan your passport
      - Have your photo taken
      - ESTA passengers: scan your fingerprints
      - Approval receipt is issued
    3. Now present your approval receipt and passport to a US Preclearance of officer for a brief inspection
    Or is it a choice?

A few years ago I was offered the option of using the machine in Dublin, instead of joining the long queue. At the time it was mainly for US citizens, but if you'd previously entered on your existing ESTA, to shorten the queues they were offering it. It was a lot faster than the normal queue at the time. Followed the instructions on the screen, it printed out a receipt. As an ESTA holder I brought the receipt to a man, who asked one or two more things and I was through in 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

They appear to have gotten rid of the self service machines except for US global entry passengers. The bank of them that had been installed were gone when I passed through last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Anyone been through in the last week? Have the self service kiosks been replaced downstairs? When I last went through early September it was a mess as it was the first day of the new system - no bag identification/ no fingerprints/iris scan - just facial recognition.

Nobody seemed to have a clue what was going and it took almost an hour from second screening and USBP Pre-clearance. Just wondering if the kinks have been ironed out yet.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

They appear to have gotten rid of the self service machines except for US global entry passengers. The bank of them that had been installed were gone when I passed through last week.

They were a Pain to use.

OP, there is also a Lounge Past the US pre-clearance zone, "51st and green"

it's not bad if you've a few hours to kill and you were going to get a cooked breakfast anyway it's a nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Flew to the US last week via Dublin and the self service machines at the top of the stairs were not operational. It took an hour to get from the door of the hall downstairs, through the security check and through the immigration desk.

I know it was the bank holiday weekend but the queues were ridiculous.

I'm not sure if this is the case all the time but it was a pain.

Had flown to LAX at Easter via London so immigration was in LAX and it was much smoother with a huge amount of desks open to receive passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

scout353 wrote: »
    Flew to the US last week via Dublin and the self service machines at the top of the stairs were not operational. It took an hour to get from the door of the hall downstairs, through the security check and through the immigration desk.

Had flown to LAX at Easter via London so immigration was in LAX and it was much smoother with a huge amount of desks open to receive passengers.

Was this early in the morning? We are flying next week at 8.10 am and I think pre-clearance only opens at 7am so I was worried we wouldn't have enough time. From what you are saying it sounds like we might not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Was this early in the morning? We are flying next week at 8.10 am and I think pre-clearance only opens at 7am so I was worried we wouldn't have enough time. From what you are saying it sounds like we might not!

Our flight was at 1230 but it was the bank holiday weekend so maybe that's why it was crazy.

We literally went straight from immigration to the plane.

While we were queuing, they were calling for people flying on earlier flights to come to the head of the line while our flight was delayed for 15 minutes because of delays at pre clearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What time does the US Preclearance stay open till? My next US flight doesn’t depart until 3:15pm. Does it still be open at 1pm or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Those machines haven't been operational for at least 6 months,

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Our flight was at 1230 but it was the bank holiday weekend so maybe that's why it was crazy.

We literally went straight from immigration to the plane.

While we were queuing, they were calling for people flying on earlier flights to come to the head of the line while our flight was delayed for 15 minutes because of delays at pre clearance.

Had an awful experience a few years ago-almost two hours in that line. We ran to the plane, then sat there for an hour because half the plane was still stuck in the line. Probably the most stressful travel situation of my life.

A buddy of mine went through a few days later and he was through in 20 minutes

It’s completely hit or miss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I wonder why those machines were removed. They have them in Vancouver airport too (and actually most airports in Canada with flights to the US) and they are available to US citizens and ESTA holders and they greatly speed up the process.

Advertisement