Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rochford resigns as Mayo manager

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Bogfairy

Disappointing news, got us closer than any other manager and came across as a decent fella, but he didn't bring in enough new players over 3 years in my opinion. I mean look at Dublin, that team keeps evolving each year. Subs coming in are as good as players coming off. Our bench often left us wanting. I don't understand giving subs virtually no game time and expect them to be on the same page. Big shoes to fill but a fresh approach may be just what Mayo need.

Thanks Stephen. Up Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Be surprised if McGuinness would go for Mayo. His ego would certainly love a crack at working the oracle but logically he surely has to see an aging squad who couldn't get over the line in their prime, and will find it tough now with a few important players close to the end. Recent underage results have been poor recently also, one U20 win against Roscommon this year aside. Expectation will remain huge however and the hype will ramp up if he joined. In saying that, money may talk and they're will be plenty willing to pay it. I did hear a rumour he was interested in Cavan but it fell apart through money

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Be surprised if McGuinness would go for Mayo. His ego would certainly love a crack at working the oracle but logically he surely has to see an aging squad who couldn't get over the line in their prime, and will find it tough now with a few important players close to the end. Recent underage results have been poor recently also, one U20 win against Roscommon this year aside. Expectation will remain huge however and the hype will ramp up if he joined. In saying that, money may talk and they're will be plenty willing to pay it. I did hear a rumour he was interested in Cavan but it fell apart through money

On that last point alone he should stay well away. Is this money declared and taxed? ...Is it fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Bogfairy wrote: »
    Disappointing news, got us closer than any other manager and came across as a decent fella, but he didn't bring in enough new players over 3 years in my opinion. I mean look at Dublin, that team keeps evolving each year. Subs coming in are as good as players coming off. Our bench often left us wanting. I don't understand giving subs virtually no game time and expect them to be on the same page. Big shoes to fill but a fresh approach may be just what Mayo need.

Thanks Stephen. Up Mayo.

Easy to do when you have the calibre of player Dublin has coming through. Players like Basquel & McHugh getting cameos! The younger players in Mayo are simply nowhere near the standard of the Morans, McLoughlins, Boyles etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Hulk Hands wrote: »

That's just typical of Cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I was always meaning to tell this story about Mayo, here seems as good place as any, my mothers granny and aunt were from Mayo, she used to visit Ballina in the 1980s, her aunts mother in law who was a native Irish speaker in North Mayo would hide behind the sofa when there was cowboy films on TV as she fought the shooting was coming from outside.

I have a few more tales about Mayo such as my south Derry great uncle threatening a waitress in a diner in the late 1970s just because the food was slow at coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

Horan and JmcG being touted as favs for the job. I know people slate jim but i genuinely think hed be a good man for that job. Egos on tbat mayo panel need an equally lunatic ego to quell it.

Along comes the Cull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I have a few more tales about Mayo such as my south Derry great uncle threatening a waitress in a diner in the late 1970s just because the food was slow at coming out.

This is a story more about your great uncle being a psycho than a ‘tale about Mayo’ isn’t it? Must be a forum like After Hours or something to get people’s sides splitting with this sort of silly stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Declan Shaw done well with Mitchell's in recent years. A left field candidate but at 25/1 I'd have a small nibble.

Horan is high up with Coca Cola or some firm like that and is managing Westport, along with media gigs etc. Would he sacrifice the mileage expenses with Westport and his way of life to go back to inter county?

McGuiness I don't see happening.

He wants to be a soccer manager, but I would say he is a bit late in life starting on that path. Realistically would any football league team take him on as he has no pedigree in the sport.

One thing for certain is that the next few weeks will be entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MattressRick

No way will Jim McGuinness take it.
    Firstly whatever slim chance he has of getting a soccer managers job will be torpedoed if he goes back managing a gaa team. He needs to stick with the soccer while all that recent work experience he got is relevant.
    Secondly, the Mayo gig is too risky for him because he would be judged a failure if he doesn't deliver the all Ireland and all those articles he writes wouldn't be taken half as seriously anymore. It's easy to come up with radical ideas that Tyrone should implement this weekend if you're just putting it in a newspaper and no one will know whether you're right or wrong. I suspect he hasn't the balls to bring that into a dressing room like Mayo's. They've strong characters who would want a say in how they play, which is fair. But McGuiness wouldn't want that. Easier for him to take on a smaller county with no hope and squeeze an improvement or provincial title out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No way will Jim McGuinness take it.
    Firstly whatever slim chance he has of getting a soccer managers job will be torpedoed if he goes back managing a gaa team. He needs to stick with the soccer while all that recent work experience he got is relevant.
    Secondly, the Mayo gig is too risky for him because he would be judged a failure if he doesn't deliver the all Ireland and all those articles he writes wouldn't be taken half as seriously anymore. It's easy to come up with radical ideas that Tyrone should implement this weekend if you're just putting it in a newspaper and no one will know whether you're right or wrong. I suspect he hasn't the balls to bring that into a dressing room like Mayo's. They've strong characters who would want a say in how they play, which is fair. But McGuiness wouldn't want that. Easier for him to take on a smaller county with no hope and squeeze an improvement or provincial title out of them.

Good post.
    Its exactly why I don't see McGuinness being a fit for Mayo.

Advertisement