Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enterprise runthrough

• 24-08-2018 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

So Enterprise just started again on the Horror Channel. Kind of ironic that the horror channel show Star Trek and sci fi shows but they do.

So who is going to watch it or has been. The first two episodes are repeated on Sunday from 12pm

Me I would much prefer to watch Enterprise again anyday over Discovery. Watching Discovery once is enough for me. Even the titles of the episodes are terrible and boring. There might be a couple of episodes from the first season I might watch again someday but I am in no hurry to. Discovery to me is not canon. Enterprise is.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Canon or not, I'd watch Discovery over Enterprise any day. First 2 seasons of Enterprise were full of cringe. I did enjoy the third and fourth seasons though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Enterprise was the only one of first five Star Trek series that I had never really seen. I had missed it when it had initially aired for a couple of reasons, and by the time I could've sat down and watched it, I had heard from so many people that it was awful, that I just didn't bother and opted to re-watch one of the other series instead, but recently I decided to give it a fair shot - figured it couldn't be any more tedious than Discovery after all.

I've now watched the first 16 episodes of Season 1, and I gotta say I don't know why people hate Enterprise so much. Season 1 and 2 are supposedly awful, but more than halfway through Season 1 and there's only 2 episodes I really didn't care for (Civilization, and Fortunate Son), everything else has ranged from very watchable to top quality Star Trek (Dear Doctor, and The Andorian Incident being exceptionally great) and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Character wise, the only character I don't like is Mayweather because he's so bland and irrelevant, and is up there with Wesley Crusher and Kes as one of my least favourite Star Trek characters (not including the Discovery crew because I kinda hate them all at this stage, Michael Burnham especially), but the rest of the Enterprise characters are solid. Tripp and T'Pol are brilliant, as is Phlox, and while not as fleshed out as those three, I personally love Hoshi. Reed needs to lighten up a bit, but overall he's good and has some nice moments. While Archer may not be the most charismatic Captain to have ever graced Star Fleet (and to be fair Kirk, Picard, Sisko, and Janeway are hard acts to follow), he bounces well off the more engaging characters on his crew and ties the ensemble together nicely, so I still do like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,190 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Think it's aged pretty well and seems to gather more support each passing year.

Would have loved to have seen the Retrofit NX Enterprise on screen if the later seasons had gone ahead :(

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Enterprise has some great episodes and arcs. It has some poor characters and actors but what trek show didn't.

It took way too much flak and it certainly deserved better than the ending it got.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Kirby wrote: »
    It took way too much flak and it certainly deserved better than the ending it got.
    Yep, it got better and better as it went on. Such a shame that it got canned just as it was getting really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Season five could have been brilliant but maybe CBS will make an Enterprise TV movie like what Stargate had sometimes. I think it could work if they sold it to Sky, Netflix and maybe Amazon. The hardest Part would be getting the actors back especially Jolene Blalock as she has said she is not interested in any more Star Trek. They could just say she went home to Vulcan foe Pon Far or some other reason.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Is it only me that thinks that Scott Bakula looks just like Saru in Discovery?

Edit> Thinking about it should be the other way around. When I first saw discovery I had to look up who played Saru because I thought the character looked too much like Scott Bakula.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I am nearly finished the whole Enterprise series. I have to say I've been very pleasantly surprised.

I watched season 1 when it first aired but I missed the first episode of season 2. Not having TV on demand back then I just never went back to it for some reason. I hadn't really enjoyed season 1 too much anyway. Skip forward about 19 years and its all changed. I've really enjoyed it. Season 1 had some rough moments but it has gotten stronger as it has gone on.

In season 4 there have been a few multi-episode arcs that have been good. I think I prefer that to the season long arc of season 3. A little sad now it is coming towards the end.

Last year I re-watched TNG then moved onto Enterprise. I watch them while using the exercise bike and I'm contemplating a re-watch of Voyager now. I wonder how that holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,777 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I am nearly finished the whole Enterprise series. I have to say I've been very pleasantly surprised.
    In season 4 there have been a few multi-episode arcs that have been good. I think I prefer that to the season long arc of season 3. A little sad now it is coming towards the end.

During the original run, I was considering giving up on Enterprise after season 3... but by the end of season 4 I was disappointed it was ending.

The followon novels that cover the Romulan war are superior entries in the Trek tie in novels series - they are nominally Enterprise novels but cover the wider conflict.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Coming up on the end?! Nice! Apparently they crammed a lot of ideas for the more seasons they'd hoped to get into the end there. Plus Manny Coto came back on board as writer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,190 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Seasons 3 and 4 were brilliant. Its a pity we never got the Romulan war.

Also, im pretending the last episode never happened.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Season 3 was OK; a nice idea but the constraints of stretching a simple plot over 22 episodes killed momentum at times. Fixed then in Season 4 that had its little pods of mini-arcs - it's actually kind of remarkable this smart play remains elusive among so many 20+ episode seasons to this day. Agents of SHIELD was recent exception to this rule; while the CW superhero shows are crippled by the "1 plot, 22 episodes" format.

It's a shame the budget was slashed in Season 4, the dip in the quality of aesthetics was noticeable. Shoddier FX with flimsy, over-lit sets. Looked awful at times. Those early days of digital production haven't aged too well really, the cleaner picture showing up those budget flaws, but without the directorial prowess to hide them.

So I finished season 4 this morning and it is definitely the series of Enterprise.

I feel that the two-part episode arc that makes up the penultimate episode would have been a very fitting end of the series. As for the finale itself, I can see why it upset so many people. It really does feel more like an episode of TNG than Enterprise. I must see if I can read up on any behind the scenes stories. Surely the cast must have been upset as it feels somewhat disrepectful.

Also the death of
    Trip
    just comes across as mean. Particularly, in the way they do it. Also, with it being the end of the show the characters have no time to grieve or live with the consequences. The episode itself would have worked nicely as a standalone during the season, minus the death of course.

Ms

So I finished season 4 this morning and it is definitely the series of Enterprise.

I feel that the two-part episode arc that makes up the penultimate episode would have been a very fitting end of the series. As for the finale itself, I can see why it upset so many people. It really does feel more like an episode of TNG than Enterprise. I must see if I can read up on any behind the scenes stories. Surely the cast must have been upset as it feels somewhat disrepectful.

Also the death of
    Trip
    just comes across as mean. Particularly, in the way they do it. Also, with it being the end of the show the characters have no time to grieve or live with the consequences. The episode itself would have worked nicely as a standalone during the season, minus the death of course.

I agree that the two-part episode is how they should have ended Enterprise. As for the finale I remember been so excited about it at the tie as there had been loads of hype about it and then when it aired been so so disappointed not only the fact that it seemed more like a TNG episode than an Enterprise one but also by the fact that it was only 1 hour or 45 mins if you take out the adds long. There was some parts of it that were good but its biggest flaw was the fact that what 7 years or whatever it was later they all still looked the exact same. That there was a big flaw as even TOS and TNG managed to do episodes where the crew had aged and changed really well and TOS had a really tight budget so a bit of innovation was all that was needed.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Also the death of
    Trip

There were early drafts of a Season 5 opener if I recall (they weren't sure what the status of the cancellation was for a long time), and that death turned out to be a staged plan, & the character actually alive.

I still maintain the show, once it finds its feet, is nowhere near as bad as the moaning makes it out to be. It's actually quite mostly enjoyable.

Inviere wrote: »
    I still maintain the show, once it finds its feet, is nowhere near as bad as the moaning makes it out to be. It's actually quite mostly enjoyable.

You are right. I really enjoyed the series.

I'm going to start a re-watch of Voyager now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

Inviere wrote: »
    There were early drafts of a Season 5 opener if I recall (they weren't sure what the status of the cancellation was for a long time), and that death turned out to be a staged plan, & the character actually alive.
    Season five would have taken place after the rest of season four, not the flash forward, so that character wouldn't have died yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I could never warm to Scott balkua or whatever his name is. Just too much of a ham.
    I think by the time it came out I was growing sick of Trek.
    Needed a break. I must watch it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Can't find it on horror channel?

Ms

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Can't find it on horror channel?

Its not currently on the horror channel. Its not going to be on the Horror channel anytime soon as when Voyager finishes up next week they are going to start showing TNG again. Your best bet is to find it online on Netfliks or Amazon maybe.

Have you ever watched Quantum Leap? Its Scott Bukala in his element and at his finest. Well worth watching if you have never seen it and its a great show.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement