Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner races

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭emeraldmtb

The buzz of riding with a clock ticking is totally different to regular rides. You'll enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

For the grassroots I think a good strategy is to get a clean banker run in on each stage first. Then try to improve on whichever stages you think you were slowest on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

emeraldmtb wrote: »
    The buzz of riding with a clock ticking is totally different to regular rides. You'll enjoy it!

what happens if you have little or no interest in time and clocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Is the Grassroots something that could be attempted on an XC hard-tail - or is full-sus an absolute must?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Top Dog wrote: »
    Is the Grassroots something that could be attempted on an XC hard-tail - or is full-sus an absolute must?

I would say it is technically possible but not advisable. It would be like bringing a knife to a gunfight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Top Dog wrote: »

A hardtail yes an XC hardtail (short travel) probably but you'd want to know what you're doing on either. A full suss is nice but by no means a necessity although the majority will be on full suss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I would say it is technically possible but not advisable. It would be like bringing a knife to a gunfight
    When a knife is the only tool in your arsenal, do you go to the gunfight or stay on the couch? ;)

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    A hardtail yes an XC hardtail (short travel) probably but you'd want to know what you're doing on either. A full suss is nice but by no means a necessity although the majority will be on full suss
    When I was getting my bike at the start of the summer a friend recommended I go with a hard-tail to build my ability first and avoid developing bad habits on full-sus, so while it would be nice, it'll be a long time before I upgrade (still paying for this one :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭emeraldmtb

what happens if you have little or no interest in time and clocks?

then it’s a good way to explore new trails ��

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

good craic it was :) to be honest i did stage one first and it was pretty intimidating/annoying when someone would catch you and start yelling, or yelling way back before they where anyway near you, suffered massively there from having to pull in for people. Thought the day would be useless after that experience, but stage 3 and 2 seemed to have a larger gap between start times which really helped make it more craic :)

good few drops in stage 2 and 3 but nothing too crazy. Fitness while doing the 3 stages is something i didnt realise would be such an issue, i guess from the shorter downhill trails i do i wasnt used of the more prolonged effort.

Will be doing a lot more in the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

good craic it was :) to be honest i did stage one first and it was pretty intimidating/annoying when someone would catch you and start yelling, or yelling way back before they anyway near you, suffered massively there from having to pull in for people. Thought the day would be useless after that experience, but stage 3 and 2 seemed to have a larger gap between start times which really helped make it more craic :)

good few drops in stage 2 and 3 but nothing too crazy. Fitness while doing the 3 stages is something i didnt realise would be such an issue, i guess from the shorter downhill trails i do i wasnt used of the more prolonged effort.

Will be doing a lot more in the new year

You should've jumped onto stage 3 I usually do them in the reverse order as most people do 1-3 as they're used to the gravity enduro. Also a bit late now but you can pedal up to the first stage start well before race time which will give you a chance to beat the queue. Also give the lad behind a heads up if it'll be your first run and give you 30s+ as he won't really want to catch you try as he might. Well done and roll on next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement