Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to Boards.ie Ltd. company structure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

DeVore wrote: »
    We get like 400 or so threads a day... what possible impact could we have on that?

400 threads a day?

I'm not being smart but id consider that low, how many of them are regular users too or public scandal stories like the Belfast trial?

I've been a boardsie for 10 years,I don't want to see it go under nor do I want to see it taken over by a media entity that may or may not have it's own agenda, regardless of what the legalisities are and what the CEOs boards account says will or won't happen .

Media influence is never a good thing when it comes to public forums and interface

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Pity, The Journal like After Hours here is dominated by the far right.

Racism gets a free reign anyway.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

sexmag wrote: »
    400 threads a day?

I'm not being smart but id consider that low, how many of them are regular users too or public scandal stories like the Belfast trial?

I've been a boardsie for 10 years,I don't want to see it go under nor do I want to see it taken over by a media entity that may or may not have it's own agenda, regardless of what the legalisities are and what the CEOs boards account says will or won't happen .

Media influence is never a good thing when it comes to public forums and interface

The same people who have owned boards for a decade, started and own The Journal. If they were going to do anything they would have done it already.

Besides, the mods and admins wouldnt put up with it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I can kinda understand the cynicism, I have to admit that I read the first couple of posts and went "Oh hell, what is this gonna mean?!"

Especially as in an era when someone like Trump can be elected as POTUS, I think we're all a little more cynical and a little less convinced that we can rely on common sense and good judgement to prevail in any walk of life; tbh sometimes I look at the news headlines and wonder if I've woken up in a Tom Sharpe novel!

However, if this isn't setting Tom's bump of trouble throbbing, I'm inclined to relax and assume that this isn't going to make a whole heap of difference to anything.

That's assuming that his muttering about "nothing burgers" isn't a sign that the real Tom is being held captive in Area 51, and it's actually Sarah Huckabee Sanders using his account! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

"nothing burgers"

It’s a pre-agreed code word. I’d imagine there’s a joint rescue mission to Yemen being drawn up as we speak between Delta Force and the Navy SEAL’s.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Inviere wrote: »
    It’s a pre-agreed code word. I’d imagine there’s a joint rescue mission to Yemen being drawn up as we speak between Delta Force and the Navy SEAL’s.

I'm being held captive on the A27 around Chichester at the moment... the bank holiday traffic is awful!

I built the boards social system such that you dont need my assurances (tho you do have them). If the community/mods/admins found itself at odds with what is being done, you can withdraw your participation in this system and of sufficient do that then the system completely buckles. Its just that simple.

To answer the earlier question about selling anonymised data. We have never done so and Im not aware of any plans to do so. Its certainly not something that was ever on our radar either so its not like we wanted to but just didnt.... weve never wanted to.

There are plenty of people who have signed up with emails like boardsspamcatcher@... who presumingly want to catch us for selling email lists. we never have and no one has ever come forward to claim we have (which presumably they would).

Inviere wrote: »

I'm being held captive on the A27 around Chichester at the moment... the bank holiday traffic is awful!

I built the boards social system such that you dont need my assurances (tho you do have them). If the community/mods/admins found itself at odds with what is being done, you can withdraw your participation in this system and of sufficient do that then the system completely buckles. Its just that simple.

To answer the earlier question about selling anonymised data. We have never done so and Im not aware of any plans to do so. Its certainly not something that was ever on our radar either so its not like we wanted to but just didnt.... weve never wanted to.

There are plenty of people who have signed up with emails like boardsspamcatcher@... who presumingly want to catch us for selling email lists. we never have and no one has ever come forward to claim we have (which presumably they would).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Good luck with the new structures, hope it works the way you want it to.

The Journal though, what a pile of poo that site is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

The same people who have owned boards for a decade, started and own The Journal. If they were going to do anything they would have done it already.

Besides, the mods and admins wouldnt put up with it!

What are you to the site now?

Mods come and go, Admins do what they're told and Users smelling a rat can be deleted or completely ignored like in Feedback.

My opinion of the site now^^.

Kuva wrote: »
    What are you to the site now?

Mods come and go, Admins do what they're told and Users smelling a rat can be deleted or completely ignored like in Feedback.

My opinion of the site now^^.

Admind most certainly hold our feet to the flame regularly in private. Mods are completely docile and never complain or kick our asses oh wait that, like your post, is nonsense. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

the left wing kindergarten that the journal comment section is.
    The Journal is a horrible construct, low brow and full of far right commentary.

Hmmmm

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Whats the breakdown of boards.ie ownership? Just curious who actually owns how much anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Admind most certainly hold our feet to the flame regularly in private. Mods are completely docile and never complain or kick our asses oh wait that, like your post, is nonsense. :)

That kind of hostile response isn't really helping you sell it......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

What? So you're saying volunteers of this sight who agreed to work on it for free will just call shiz out with higher ups if they feel something is not right.....because???? Why? They can be unmoded and umadminded (not words I know but couldn't think of anything else right now) with a click and there's nothing the can do about it, it wouldn't be a big fuss,wouldn't go public's as it's not a court case.

The higher ups have sweeping control of everything and everyone on this site and you expect us to believe that thos is all kept in check by the non paid admins and mods???

Pull the other one lads

Edit: I fully endorse and agree that distilled media, the journal.ie and boards.ie are separate entities with no affiliation and would in now way ever try to plan or execute a strategy that would sway interest in distilled medias favour and knowingly doop or disieve the user of boards.ie

*cough* *cough*

Wow what happened i blacked out for a second?

Weren't you told? Far from the coke and hookers propaganda which was just a diversion, every Friday night the mods and admins get together in the Boards office and get naked and sit cross-legged in a huge circle. Then they chant:

community!
    Community!
    COMMUNITY!

repeatedly until dawn. Get dressed and go home. Did you not read the T&Cs.

Life ain't always empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

whats that saying, the something something makes the most noise...
    I wouldn't say I'm happy about this announcement, more that I don't care. I have no ill-feelings towards it.

also, we need more fresh popcorn

sexmag wrote: »
    What? So you're saying volunteers of this sight who agreed to work on it for free will just call shiz out with higher ups if they feel something is not right.....because???? Why? They can be unmoded and umadminded (not words I know but couldn't think of anything else right now) with a click and there's nothing the can do about it, it wouldn't be a big fuss,wouldn't go public's as it's not a court case.
    And why would we care?

Seriously, think about it for a minute, and look back on your own words which I have highlighted.

You acknowledge that we're volunteers who give some time for free because we believe in the ethos of the site.

Then you say that if the ethos changed for the worse we wouldn't protest for fear of being de-modded / de-admined (as applicable).

How is that a threat to hold over our heads?

If it is the ethos of the site, the community spirit, that keeps us giving a little, and that is endangered or changed ... why would we care if we were de-modded / de-admined because we screamed bloody murder protested that?

And that really is all that keeps us at this, despite what some might think. Despite the old jokes about coke and hookers, I haven't had so much as a can of Coke out of Boards in 10 years of modding here, let alone the stronger stuff.

Not that I expected, wanted nor asked for it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

As long as Denis O'brien has nothing to do with boards, I'm good...
    But I have to admit, I'm afraid the whole feel of boards is going to change for the worst. I truly hope I'm wrong.

And why would we care?

Seriously, think about it for a minute, and look back on your own words which I have highlighted.

You acknowledge that we're volunteers who give some time for free because we believe in the ethos of the site.

Then you say that if the ethos changed for the worse we wouldn't protest for fear of being de-modded / de-admined (as applicable).

How is that a threat to hold over our heads?

If it is the ethos of the site, the community spirit, that keeps us giving a little, and that is endangered or changed ... why would we care if we were de-modded / de-admined because we screamed bloody murder protested that?

And that really is all that keeps us at this, despite what some might think. Despite the old jokes about coke and hookers, I haven't had so much as a can of Coke out of Boards in 10 years of modding here, let alone the stronger stuff.

Not that I expected, wanted nor asked for it either.

Tbf, with new owners. Comes changes that most fear, and and rightly so.
    Be the fear right or wrong.
    It's a legitimate concern.
    Dont you agree?

deco nate wrote: »
    Tbf, with new owners. Comes changes that most fear, and and rightly so.
    Be the fear right or wrong.
    It's a legitimate concern.
    Dont you agree?
    But it's not new owners, we've had the same owners for 8 or 9 years. It's just the owners re-arranging their holdings into a slightly different organisational structure pretty much for the purposes of selling advertising more effectively as far as I can see.

That said, as I said above in post #65 I can indeed understand a certain cynicism in these weird Through-The-Looking-Glass times; given DeV's input though, I'm feeling a fair bit reassured.

• Advertisement

But it's not new owners, we've had the same owners for 8 or 9 years. It's just the owners re-arranging their holdings into a slightly different organisational structure pretty much for the purposes of selling advertising more effectively as far as I can see.

That said, as I said above in post # xxx I can indeed understand a certain cynicism in these weird Through-The-Looking-Glass times; given DeV's input though, I'm feeling a fair bit reassured.

Good, I hope it's true.
    Given some trouble with off shore gambling sites ads not conforming as of 2 days ago.

I really hope for the best

Edit:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057901419

Tbh, I find this kind of advertise disgusting.
    To Say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

That doesn't really make much sense.
    This is a set of private enterprises where people work at the behest and instruction of the owner. Just because the legal paperwork has changed, it does not mean that suddenly x company is now magically able to work with y company by cross selling ads, etc.

They've always been able to do that.

"Now we can work together better" is a smokescreen if indeed both companies have been owned by the same people all this time.

It'd be nice if we got told the real reason for the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its kind of funny to see people on a sinking ship taking measures to stay afloat while proudly declaring that they won't be plugging any of the holes that they keep making in the hull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

CruelCoin wrote: »
    That kind of hostile response isn't really helping you sell it......
    Only have to look at Feedback to see what I say is true.

Post thanking was removed so that the admin/Mod thanks wh*ring to everything happening the community didn't want was less of a two finger salut.

Shut the whole thing done when you get sick of all the complaining.

Stupid smiley face --> :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's a children's website basically. Can't use swear words or be mean to other posters.
    If it wasn't true it would be comical.

Definitely working though. No need for changes.

So being mean is a sign of being an adult, according to you?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bradlin

Best of luck with the new structure, guys.

Not sure what all the fuss is about. No-one has ever paid for this service so I can't see why they have a right to complain!

Anyone not happy can vote with their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I like chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Bradlin wrote: »
    Best of luck with the new structure, guys.

Not sure what all the fuss is about. No-one has ever paid for this service so I can't see why they have a right to complain!

Anyone not happy can vote with their feet.

I have paid for the service for a while so your generalization is wrong, did not see the value so stopped. There is an option to pay and I am sure some people use it.

As to your vote with their feet, please name a competitor that has anywhere near the market dominance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

deco nate wrote: »
    As long as Denis O'brien has nothing to do with boards, I'm good...
    But I have to admit, I'm afraid the whole feel of boards is going to change for the worst. I truly hope I'm wrong.

The Journal has got a bad name of late for deleting valid factual comments that dont suit their narrative or break their rules along with agenda pushing articles lets hope it dont go like that here

Advertisement