Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Castlebar

Options
  • 22-08-2018 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭

Hi, I’m driving from Dublin to Castlebar on Saturday. Google maps shows two routes, both taking about 3 hours, either going M4/N4 etc or turning on to the M6 at Kinnegad, driving to Athenry and taking the M17/N17 north. Obviously the second route is much further but there is a lot more motorway driving which I’d probably prefer.

I don’t know if the Pope’s visit will cause any problems with people driving the opposite direction.

So, any suggestions as to which route is better? Or are they about the same?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Richard wrote: »
    Hi, I’m driving from Dublin to Castlebar on Saturday. Google maps shows two routes, both taking about 3 hours, either going M4/N4 etc or turning on to the M6 at Kinnegad, driving to Athenry and taking the M17/N17 north. Obviously the second route is much further but there is a lot more motorway driving which I’d probably prefer.

I don’t know if the Pope’s visit will cause any problems with people driving the opposite direction.

Thanks

This has came up before.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057844959

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

If you prefer motorway driving, go Dublin->Tuam->Claremorris->Balla->Castlebar using the M4, M6, M17, N17 and N60.

Dublin->Tuam is two hours from the M50, Tuam->Castlebar is 40 minutes.

You will have two tolls to pay (one more, and €2, than the N5 route), but the road is better - at least until you get to Claremorris. Claremorris->Castlebar is not great.

Also bear in mind that there are no online services after Enfield. The next "online" facility will be Milltown in North Galway.

If you need to stop before then, you have Kilmartins in Athlone (M6, J8) or the Supermacs facility at Kiltullagh/Loughrea (M6, J16).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Thanks very much. Useful to know about the services. I used to live near Kilmartin’s so know it well, but that was before all the motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Richard wrote: »

Thanks

The only way I go is Dublin Longford Strokestown Tulsk Charlestown Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I do this road regularly. While the main N4/N5 is shorter I find it a better road, slightly faster, less towns and village and a bit more scenic to go via Athlone, Roscommon, Castlerea and then to Frenchpark. The N5 opens up just outside Frenchpark, giving you a decent road to Castlebar itself. The M6 and M17 is a grand road until you get to Tuam; from here it can get slow especially through Claremorris and Balla.

• Advertisement

Drifter50 wrote: »
    The only way I go is Dublin Longford Strokestown Tulsk Charlestown Castlebar

this is the one. never found the motorway saved me any time vs the straight route and theres decent road most of the way now even compared to ten years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

this is the one. never found the motorway saved me any time vs the straight route and theres decent road most of the way now even compared to ten years ago

Yep, and if I`m not in a mad rush I will always stop at the Western Gem in Ballinalack. Its about half way and one of the last places on the main road that you can get a gallon of diesel, a pint of beer, a loaf of bread and a lump of cheese all at the 1 counter to help you on your way

Plus there is always some westmeath hooligan sitting at the bar who you can banter with for half an hour and talk whatever shyte of the day. I know I should`nt but it breaks the monotony of the journey on your own

Advertisement