Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling to Castlebar

Options
  • 24-02-2018 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭

Have to drive from Dublin to Castlebar next week. Would normally travel via Mullingar, Longford, N5 etc. 159kms on non motorway roads.

Thinking of driving M6, new M17 to Tuam and then to Castlebar. Extra 40 kms in total, but according to Google maps takes the same time. 54kms on non motorway roads.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

BowWow wrote: »
    Have to drive from Dublin to Castlebar next week. Would normally travel via Mullingar, Longford, N5 etc. 159kms on non motorway roads.

Thinking of driving M6, new M17 to Tuam and then to Castlebar. Extra 40 kms in total, but according to Google maps takes the same time. 54kms on non motorway roads.

Thoughts?

I've tried that route. As well as the extra time, you'll pay an extra toll.

I generally stick to the N5 route, but then what I usually drive is hard on fuel at motorway speeds, so it's more economical for me to take the shorter route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Drive the motorway to Athlone and then turn off towards Sligo - you should come back out at Tulsk and turn left. I've used this the last few times I've went eastwards, it's a big improvement over the traditional route.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

I live in Ballinrobe. Go the motorway route. I used the N5 for years when living in castlebar. The only really bad segment of road you'll encounter is Tuam - Kilmaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,112 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Drive the motorway to Athlone and then turn off towards Sligo - you should come back out at Tulsk and turn left. I've used this the last few times I've went eastwards, it's a big improvement over the traditional route.

Just make sure to take the Sligo/Tulsk exit at the 3rd roundabout in Roscommon instead of the Castlebar exit. Very easy mistake to make for 1st time driving it.

It's my preferred way too but don't mind the Tuam way either.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

PARlance wrote: »
    Just make sure to take the Sligo/Tulsk exit at the 3rd roundabout in Roscommon instead of the Castlebar exit. Very easy mistake to make for 1st time driving it.

I'd also go the Tuam route. Longer and costs more but quicker and less stressful journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I think there are roadworks next week after Fourmilehouse diverting through Strokestown, just in case you're in a hurry.

I don't know if this has been talked about much but it sure would be welcome:

From Mayo.ie facebook page.

Have your say about the development of the main road linking Mayo to the east of the Country

An upgrade of the N5 National Primary route between Ballaghaderreen and Scramoge (east of Strokestown) is currently with An Bord Pleanala for consideration. This stretch of road passes through the towns of Frenchpark, Bellanagare, Tulsk and Strokestown and is the primary National Route connection into County Mayo, linking the north-west to the east coast and into the Motorway network.

Speaking of the proposed upgrade Catherine McConnell Director of Services with Mayo County Council stated: “A submission on behalf of Mayo County Council is currently being finalised. Support of this critical piece of infrastructure is vitally important. The development of our road networks is critical to the ongoing economic, social and tourism development of County Mayo”

The development of future-proof, high quality road network linking Mayo and the wider west region to the rest of the national route network serving the country, and specifically to the main international access points is of great importance for individuals and businesses alike, it will affect all people in the county and it is vital that people are aware that they can make a submission to An Bord Pleanala.

Any member of the public or other body is eligible to make a submission to An Bord Pleanala on the proposed Roads scheme. A fee of €50 is payable with each submission. The deadline for submission is 06th March 2018 at 5.30pm. Submissions should be made to bord@pleanala.ie or in writing to An Bord Pleanala, 64 Marlborough Street, Dublin 1

Would make far more financial sense to just upgrade the Kilmaine - Tuam road and you're straight on to the motorway.

Would make far more financial sense to just upgrade the Kilmaine - Tuam road and you're straight on to the motorway.

Sure, if you live in Kilmaine.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Sure, if you live in Kilmaine.

Or castlebar, Ballinrobe or anywhere in South Mayo really.

I live along that very road between Kilmaine and Tuam and traffic has increased dramatically since the motorway has opened.

• Advertisement

Or castlebar, Ballinrobe or anywhere in South Mayo really.

I live along that very road between Kilmaine and Tuam and traffic has increased dramatically since the motorway has opened.

There isn't a hope I would go from Castlebar to Tuam via Kilmaine... I would guess that 99.99% would go via Claremorris.

From a Castlebar (& most likely Wesport) perspective, shorting out the Roscommon section of the N5 is of massive importance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Catherine McConnel has long experience in Planning in Mayo before being promoted to Director of Services. I suggest we should support her.

I prefer the N5. I hope the last stretch Turlough to Westport gets done asap.

Rather disappointed that it hasn't improved its priority from 2021 in the recently announced Plan

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

I think with the arrival of the wport cbar dc the next obvious step is to develope the n60 to cmorris in a similar fashion. This would mean a dc/mway from wport to dublin with the exception being the section between cmorris/tuam.
    This would divert even more traffic from the existing n5 and while its improvements would be welcome it wont match the dc/mway alternative.
    In fact the a new route from tuam/headford crossing the corrib at its narrowest point to oughterard should be opened up which would greatly encourage developement in galway /south mayo.
    If anyone thinks such a crossing would be pie in the sky they should have a look at berties folly, mulroy bay bridge up in donegal to see what can be done.
    This would create a new route from dublin viam6/m17/tuam/headford/oughterard to clifden, and could even potentially relieve some of the congestio in galway city.
    This is the kind of forward thinking planning that is needed rather than the old cliche rehashing of upgrade the "main road" status quo.
    In case anyone thinks I'm forgetting about ballina, the above would only copperfasten the logic of developing north mayo along with carrick on shannon dc to longford.
    Two plans needed really, 1 for north mayo and 1 for south mayo/north galway/connemara.

There isn't a hope I would go from Castlebar to Tuam via Kilmaine... I would guess that 99.99% would go via Claremorris.

From a Castlebar (& most likely Wesport) perspective, shorting out the Roscommon section of the N5 is of massive importance.

Perhaps so for castlebar but I absolutely cannot see why anyone from Westport would travel north to Castlebar to get to Tuam.. theres a reason why the Partry Westport road is in an absolute mess... because it is getting such extensive use for many destinations. Westport - Castlebar - Claremorris is a carpark crawl anytime in the afternoon.

Perhaps so for castlebar but I absolutely cannot see why anyone from Westport would travel north to Castlebar to get to Tuam.. theres a reason why the Partry Westport road is in an absolute mess... because it is getting such extensive use for many destinations. Westport - Castlebar - Claremorris is a carpark crawl anytime in the afternoon.

I was only talking about going to Tuam via Claremorris from Castlebar.

I mentioned Westport in relation to improvements of the N5. Improvements will benefit Westport greatly. If the Roscommon section gets improved along with Westport to Castlebar section then I would imagine it'll be the popular choice for most going Westport - Dublin. And it'll certainly be the main choice for the big businesses' in both Castlebar / Westport because it's significantly shorter (cheaper).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I don't know if this has been talked about much but it sure would be welcome:

From Mayo.ie facebook page.

Have your say about the development of the main road linking Mayo to the east of the Country

An upgrade of the N5 National Primary route between Ballaghaderreen and Scramoge (east of Strokestown) is currently with An Bord Pleanala for consideration. This stretch of road passes through the towns of Frenchpark, Bellanagare, Tulsk and Strokestown and is the primary National Route connection into County Mayo, linking the north-west to the east coast and into the Motorway network.

Speaking of the proposed upgrade Catherine McConnell Director of Services with Mayo County Council stated: “A submission on behalf of Mayo County Council is currently being finalised. Support of this critical piece of infrastructure is vitally important. The development of our road networks is critical to the ongoing economic, social and tourism development of County Mayo”

The development of future-proof, high quality road network linking Mayo and the wider west region to the rest of the national route network serving the country, and specifically to the main international access points is of great importance for individuals and businesses alike, it will affect all people in the county and it is vital that people are aware that they can make a submission to An Bord Pleanala.

Any member of the public or other body is eligible to make a submission to An Bord Pleanala on the proposed Roads scheme. A fee of €50 is payable with each submission. The deadline for submission is 06th March 2018 at 5.30pm. Submissions should be made to bord@pleanala.ie or in writing to An Bord Pleanala, 64 Marlborough Street, Dublin 1

It was mentioned in the Mayo News re this upgrade.

TBH I've never really had an issue with the N5 route to Dublin but that section from before Frenchpark to the far side of Strokestown is in dire need of an upgrade.

Sis's family live in Partry and would tend to head up to Galway and take the motorway.Not much difference timewise from Castlebar via Claremorris/Ballinrobe.Possibly a less stressful drive but an extra toll.No big deal.

I'll be sticking with the N5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭BowWow

My trip was delayed because of the weather last week.

Did the trip on Thursday and went with the M6/M17 route. Basically because I was never on the m17 before. Would certainly do that way in future. A little bit longer, but with the quality of the road took the same amount of time. Yes there is an extra toll, but worth it.

Probably already answered elsewhere, but why is it called the M17, it's the same road as the M18?

I think the junction between the M17/M18 and the M6 is dangerous. Should be a freeflow. Yield signs on a single carriage motorway!

BowWow wrote: »
    Probably already answered elsewhere, but why is it called the M17, it's the same road as the M18?
    Because north of the M6 it's a replacement for the N17, and south of the M6 it's a replacement for the N18. You could call it all the M18, but Saw Doctors fans would riot.
    I think the junction between the M17/M18 and the M6 is dangerous. Should be a freeflow. Yield signs on a single carriage motorway!
    It's a bit pants, but would have been dramatically more expensive to do as freeflow and the traffic volume doesn't justify it.

I did swear loudly at the idiot who came to a complete stop in front of me at the roundabout part of it when there wasn't another car to be seen. I don't understand how so many Irish people seem to be in abject terror of roundabouts.

Default Irish navigation of a roundabout is as follows : stop until a minimum of 1 car uses the roundabout before you. Then proceed. It wrecks my head !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Default Irish navigation of a roundabout is as follows : stop until a minimum of 1 car uses the roundabout before you. Then proceed. It wrecks my head !
    **Dont be a muppet

• Advertisement
Advertisement