Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Hub Upgrade Offer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Mrnew wrote: »
    I was thinking about getting this new hub as a new customer, is there anything better out there atm tho ?

As a new customer you won't have any choice.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This was for a customer using a combined horizon box so maybe its already 3.1 capable?

Its not, they just aren't ready to go live with 3.1 for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Wow. That superhub is not good. Its fundamentally flawed. I can't understand why a company like VM persist with its rollout.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/quick-update-virgin-media-hub-3-router-latency-fix.html

Also Tech Radar did a review of it and listed it as Docsis 3.0 but not sure if thats accurate

Theres no way I'm giving up the 3925 unless I really have to.

Sounds like I'd have terrible trouble even in model mode.

Long running history of shipping equipment thats worse than even Eircoms, a very low bar.

ED E wrote: »
    Long running history of shipping equipment thats worse than even Eircoms, a very low bar.

Yes, I really should have said why am i not surprised now that I think about it. Ive been a BB customer of theirs since about 2006/7 and Ive pretty much always added my own wifi routers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So having read this thread and others, I decided to refuse using the new hub (it was offered, rather than forced upon us - my dad said yes when they cold-called him about it). It arrived on Thursday evening. Shortly after, our broadband went down. It hadn't come back on by Friday (yesterday) morning, so I called VM to find out if there was another outage that I hadn't heard about. Instead they tell me they had actually disconnected us in preparation for our installing the new Hub. I told them I didn't want to use it having read about all the problems, at which point the CC rep said that was understandable, and they had been receiving a lot of complaints about it. Anyway, he said we'd be reconnected later in the day.

Nothing. Called them again this morning to find out that the engineers who were needed to reconnect us were "unable to get it working" yesterday before knocking off time, so now we wouldn't be reconnected until Monday. I explained why I thought this wasn't acceptable, so the CC rep helpfully suggested that I could still connect up the new modem if I was "desperate" for BB over the weekend.

Really not happy about this. I've had to scramble around trying to get online to get business done (bills paid, university registration completed etc), and had a PlayStation arrive yesterday that's now unusable until we're back online. Don't want to hook up the new modem either, in case they say they can't reconnect us using the old one (I don't have the technical knowledge to question what they're telling us). Pain in the hole. But hey, they offered €10 off the next bill.

Typical, they are receiving lots of complaints but yet continue to roll it out. You'd have to feel sorry for the CS staff knowing they have to support that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

does apply to the FTTH model as well, anyway around the issue?

how do i check if i am on ds lite?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

irishgeo wrote: »
    how do i check if i am on ds lite?

http://ip6.me/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

irishgeo wrote: »
    does apply to the FTTH model as well, anyway around the issue?

What are they shipping for FTTH? The arris/intel board wouldnt make sense for non cable service so no reason for the same vendors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

ED E wrote: »
    What are they shipping for FTTH? The arris/intel board wouldnt make sense for non cable service so no reason for the same vendors.

AFAIK their FTTH is not like SIRO and Openeir in that they bring fibre to the home but convert it to coaxial outside the premises and use the existing CPEs. They are also using RFoG I believe. The only indication that you have FTTH is the psu that powers the media converter. This is it on the right

https://i.imgur.com/LtJHsXU_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

This is the optical to coaxial converter

DF1xy1BXsAAHq3x?format=jpg&name=medium

Advertisement