Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT due for car declared off road

Options
  • 19-08-2018 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some advice please. I have a car declared off the road that has its NCT due next month (the month when its off the road declaration expires). I intend declaring it off the road again before month end. Can I cancel the NCT in September and then apply for an NCT whenever I intend putting the car back on the road?

Thanks in advance.
    Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bring it before it expires.

One can drive an untaxed vehicle to and from a booked NCT.

If you let it lapse there is no concession even if booked one is driving without test and can get a big fine and quite a few points if stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Bring it before it expires.

If you let it lapse there is no concession even if booked one is driving without test and can get a big fine and quite a few points if stopped.

This is quite correct, you cannot legally drive a car on the road with no NCT, so should really get it done even if on a SORD before the current NCT expires.

To make it clear, you can drive an untaxed car on a SORD to and from the NCT. It's the only exception, has to be on a SORD to do it legally. You're right that you cannot legally drive on the road with no NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I have never heard of this no NCT = Can't drive to the NCT chicken-and-egg situation before. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense and renders the whole off-road declaration thing a bit worthless.

Would be interesting to know if anyone ever got persecuted for driving to the NCT with no NCT

I have never heard of this no NCT = Can't drive to the NCT chicken-and-egg situation before. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense and renders the whole off-road declaration thing a bit worthless.

Would be interesting to know if anyone ever got persecuted for driving to the NCT with no NCT

Just so you are aware if it has no test then it should not be on a road....

It's that simple I'm afraid.

Only people are allowed are the likes of garages with trade plates as they may be testing the car etc.

The tax doesn't need to be up to date and if signed of the road it is exempt once test is booked so there is no excuse to not test it.

Obviously it's a guards discretion so they may well see you are getting it tested and let you on.

• Advertisement

Just so you are aware if it has no test then it should not be on a road....

It's that simple I'm afraid.

Only people are allowed are the likes of garages with trade plates as they may be testing the car etc.

The tax doesn't need to be up to date and if signed of the road it is exempt once test is booked so there is no excuse to not test it.

Obviously it's a guards discretion so they may well see you are getting it tested and let you on.

The fearmongering is strong in this one. It wouldn't make sense that cars declared off the road for a few years would be permanently locked into the place they are now or that people who buy a car with no NCT wouldn't be allowed to bring it to the test centre. Nor have I ever heard of an exception for garages

The fearmongering is strong in this one. It wouldn't make sense that cars declared off the road for a few years would be permanently locked into the place they are now or that people who buy a car with no NCT wouldn't be allowed to bring it to the test centre. Nor have I ever heard of an exception for garages

If they have garage plates then they are insured also obviously once policy in place.

You can't drive on a public road without a test why is this so difficult for you to understand.

The law is there.

I am in no way scaremongering.
    Of course I believe one once car is maintained and in good order should be able to drive to a booked test but I didn't make the rules.

Points and a fine is what is there I'm afraid.

Oh and insurance would be a major issue also as many if not all now require a car to be tested if on a public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yep most people would have to pay someone with a flatbed etc.. to bring the car to the test centre for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Isambard wrote: »
    This is quite correct, you cannot legally drive a car on the road with no NCT, so should really get it done even if on a SORD before the current NCT expires.

To make it clear, you can drive an untaxed car on a SORD to and from the NCT. It's the only exception, has to be on a SORD to do it legally. You're right that you cannot legally drive on the road with no NCT

Has anyone a link to this information or is this just talk like a lot on here used to say that you can drive a car to the NCT test centre even if you have no NCT. I never believed that but it was thrown around here quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭jmreire

Has anyone a link to this information or is this just talk like a lot on here used to say that you can drive a car to the NCT test centre even if you have no NCT. I never believed that but it was thrown around here quite a bit.

I have a car that failed it's last NCT back in January. ( was not much wrong with it TBH) But I had it declared off the road, as I had bought another car, and to this day, It's parked up at the house. As I don't plan on driving it again in the near future , so for 2019, I will again declare it off the road, and not bother with the NCT either. Am I breaking any law by doing this? If I decide to put it back on the road again, I will fix the fail faults noted in the NCT an then flat bed it to the centre, as it's neither taxed or insured at the moment.

jmreire wrote: »
    I have a car that failed it's last NCT back in January. ( was not much wrong with it TBH) But I had it declared off the road, as I had bought another car, and to this day, It's parked up at the house. As I don't plan on driving it again in the near future , so for 2019, I will again declare it off the road, and not bother with the NCT either. Am I breaking any law by doing this? If I decide to put it back on the road again, I will fix the fail faults noted in the NCT an then flat bed it to the centre, as it's neither taxed or insured at the moment.

No issue at all as not on a public road.

If they have garage plates then they are insured also obviously once policy in place.

You can't drive on a public road without a test why is this so difficult for you to understand.

The law is there.

I am in no way scaremongering.
    Of course I believe one once car is maintained and in good order should be able to drive to a booked test but I didn't make the rules.

Points and a fine is what is there I'm afraid.

Because I have never heard of it happening. Nor can I find any mention of anyone ever being done for it in court. I don't think I ever remember seeing a flatbed at an NCT centre either and I used to work beside one.

Because I have never heard of it happening. Nor can I find any mention of anyone ever being done for it in court. I don't think I ever remember seeing a flatbed at an NCT centre either and I used to work beside one.

And how does any of that what you say mean it isn't true.

Typical attitude to road safety.....

I'm just telling you the law relax there a little....

And how does any of that what you say mean it isn't true.

Typical attitude to road safety.....

I'm just telling you the law relax there a little....

I would hate to put someone through the trouble of renting a trailer when there is no need. If people were being convicted for going to the NCT with no NCT then we would have heard about them by now

Doesn't mention anyone being done on the way to the NCT centre.

Go ahead and do it so....

It is breaking the law.

I already mentioned it's Garda discretion so many may well let one do so.

Go and search or do a freedom of information search on it and get back to us.

You really don't like to admit you are the wrong one.

Go ahead and do it so....

It is breaking the law.

I already mentioned it's Garda discretion so many may well let one do so.

Go and search or do a freedom of information search on it and get back to us.

You really don't like to admit you are the wrong one.

I am not worried. No need for me to admit anything. There is nobody even claiming they heard of someone being convicted for this. No shortage of fellas like you on here fearmongering. There is a bit more than Garda discretion preventing the chicken and egg situation from occuring

Hope your flatbed trailer business is going well for you ;)

I am not worried. No need for me to admit anything. There is nobody even claiming they heard of someone being convicted for this. No shortage of fellas like you on here fearmongering. There is a bit more than Garda discretion preventing the chicken and egg situation from occuring

Hope your flatbed trailer business is going well for you ;)

What the actual fook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

There is a bit more than Garda discretion preventing the chicken and egg situation from occuring

Care to enlighten us?

Just because no one here has said they have seen such or because you never seen a flatbed at an NCT or because you never read about is NOT proof that something is legal.

There are many illegal things that people are not aware of simply because they don't read of or hear about them, for example it's illegal to leave your car bonnet open or your doors unlocked or not to apply your handbrake when your car is unattended, but hey nobody has heard of or seen someone prosecuted for it so it's actually legal and that's that.

What others have said is correct, it IS illegal to drive to an NCT without a valid NCT, it was one of the reasons why the 90 day early test was put in place to combat the issue.

We have discussed this a few times, there was a specific exemption in law which allowed you to drive to the NCT without a valid NCT, but that was specifically repealed years ago.

The reality is that you very rarely see such because Gardaí apply their discretion, but it has happened on rare occasions and there was a Tweet last year about it where the Gardaí confirmed you can't legally drive to the NCT without a valid NCT (bar one or two other exemptions).

GM228 wrote: »
    Care to enlighten us?

Just because no one here has said they have seen such or because you never seen a flatbed at an NCT or because you never read about is NOT proof that something is legal.

There are many illegal things that people are not aware of simply because they don't read of or hear about them, for example it's illegal to leave your car bonnet open or your doors unlocked or not to apply your handbrake when your car is unattended, but hey nobody has heard of or seen someone prosecuted for it so it's actually legal and that's that.

What others have said is correct, it IS illegal to drive to an NCT without a valid NCT, it was one of the reasons why the 90 day early test was put in place to combat the issue.

We have discussed this a few times, there was a specific exemption in law which allowed you to drive to the NCT without a valid NCT, but that was specifically repealed years ago.

The reality is that you very rarely see such because Gardaí apply their discretion, but it has happened on rare occasions and there was a Tweet last year about it where the Gardaí confirmed you can't legally drive to the NCT without a valid NCT (bar one or two other exemptions).

There is still an exemption for the day you fail your test. The whole day you fail not just the part of the day after the test is completed.

If you pass you'll be given a valid NCT cert that's valid on the day that you pass the NCT - again the whole day not part of. If you're stopped I believe there is still a provision in the law that gives you 10 days to produce the valid cert.

The guard could very well issue a fine and points but you should be able to shake these off using your new NCT cert or failure report

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I have never heard of this no NCT = Can't drive to the NCT chicken-and-egg situation before.

Have you ever heart about tow trucks?

The offshore island exception is an interesting one. Probably because most of the islands don't have a regular car ferry service it can be a bit of a nuisance to remove a car from the island and NCT it the same day. If you have the 24h before the test you can remove the car from the island and go to the NCT the following day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭standardg60

I'm lost.
    The info on the motor tax website specifically states that an off-road declared car may be 'used' to bring a car to/from an nct and to/from repairs to a car in preparation for a re-test. Nowhere does it state that it has to have a current nct at that time.
    Also it was never a requirement that the 30 day timeframe for returning a car for re-test had to be done within the expiry date of the previous nct.
    To suggest that anyone is going to be done on the way to/from an nct or to/from repairs for a retest is just ridiculous.

The website simply suggests that you should bring evidence of the booked test or booked re-test with you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

jmreire wrote: »
    I will fix the fail faults noted in the NCT an then flat bed it to the centre.

How much would that set you back?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭jmreire

How much would that set you back?
    As I am presently driving another car, not really in a hurry to get it NCT'd just yet. First I will rectify the defects listed on the NCT sheet ( 2 track control arms on the front suspension, replace 1 flexible brake pipe and one rear tyre, which is an advisory, but I will replace it in any case ) Everything else passed, Engine Emissions, Brakes Lights etc. No problem. It has been off the road since last Jan, and now tax has expired, and I have transferred the insurance to the present car I'm driving. So definitely a candidate for a flat bed. ( I could of course, re-insure and tax it, and according to the posts on here, then drive it to the NCT centre. But then again, maybe the insurance will look for an valid NCT before they will re-insure it.....so its a bit like a dog chasing it's tail... :mad: so maybe the flatbed is the best idea. as to the cost..I don't know as I have not done this before, but I do know a lot of people in the motor trade and transport business, so I think that when the time comes, it won't cost mega bucks.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I'm lost.
    The info on the motor tax website specifically states that an off-road declared car may be 'used' to bring a car to/from an nct and to/from repairs to a car in preparation for a re-test. Nowhere does it state that it has to have a current nct at that time.

And how about S.I. No. 322/2014 - Road Traffic (National Car Test) Regulations 2014? It says you need NCT...
    Also it was never a requirement that the 30 day timeframe for returning a car for re-test had to be done within the expiry date of the previous nct.

Again, that is incorrect. There is plenty time to do the test before expiration of the certificate. Why bllody wait - book the car 12 weeks before expiration, that leaves plenty of time fix it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

I dunno Jmreire. It sounds like a lot of energy to get a motor to the NCT centre when it seems like nobody's ever been in trouble for driving a car there under its own power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

There is still an exemption for the day you fail your test. The whole day you fail not just the part of the day after the test is completed.

Indeed, the copy and paste regulation as I call it, it went hand in hand with the exemption for going to the NCT but mysteriously was never removed aswell, Gardaí look at this as a loophole or technicality which can get you off the hook in certain circumstances.

If you pass you'll be given a valid NCT cert that's valid on the day that you pass the NCT - again the whole day not part of. If you're stopped I believe there is still a provision in the law that gives you 10 days to produce the valid cert.

Yes there is a provision for 10 days, but it is a Garda discretion to offer you the 10 days, not mandatory. Also the offence is for not having a valid NCT at the time you were stopped which is the case until you actually pass, my brother made a good point to me before about a car with no NCT which was actually on the way to the NCT when it crashed, the driver was done for having no NCT amongst other things despite showings proof of appointment etc.

The guard could very well issue a fine and points but you should be able to shake these off using your new NCT cert or failure report

And there is no guarantee of successfully shaking it off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement