Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 Junction 9 Southbound stopping for no reason.

Options
  • 18-08-2018 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭

I have noticed lately that approaching Junction 9 M50 southbound towards the so-called freeflow junction that replaced the "Mad Cow" roundabout is always coming to a complete stop about 1-2 Km from the junction. I always keep to the middle lane until I am 200m from the junction and then I can get into the junction and proceed towards the Longmile road with absolutely little or no problem or stoppage.The inner 2 lanes are clogged with stopped traffic.

What is causing people to stop completely and jam up the approaching 1 -2 Km towards the exit for the junction 9?????

Are they confused by there being two exit lanes from this junction and they do not know which one to take?

Right at the junction is usually empty and freeflow takes place. I am not talking about rush hour or congested times here. This happens at 11am or 2pm so is not caused by rush hour traffic. The stopping happens 1 to 2 Km before the junction with muppets completely stopping on the the two inner lanes of the M50 southbound for no obvious reason. Is there an obscure design fault on this stretch of road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Almost all of the traffic leaving the M50 at J9 clusters into a single exit lane which then opens into three lanes, one to city and 2 to N7. The single lane section is a bottleneck and the relief just before end of the exit lane comes from the opening up from 1 exit lane to 3 lanes.

There's nothing odd or unusual, it's just operating beyond its capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I reckon it's people keeping to the middle lane until they are 200m from the junction causing it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

doolox wrote: »
    I have noticed lately that approaching Junction 9 M50 southbound towards the so-called freeflow junction that replaced the "Mad Cow" roundabout is always coming to a complete stop about 1-2 Km from the junction. I always keep to the middle lane until I am 200m from the junction and then I can get into the junction and proceed towards the Longmile road with absolutely little or no problem or stoppage.The inner 2 lanes are clogged with stopped traffic.

What is causing people to stop completely and jam up the approaching 1 -2 Km towards the exit for the junction 9?????

Are they confused by there being two exit lanes from this junction and they do not know which one to take?

Right at the junction is usually empty and freeflow takes place. I am not talking about rush hour or congested times here. This happens at 11am or 2pm so is not caused by rush hour traffic. The stopping happens 1 to 2 Km before the junction with muppets completely stopping on the the two inner lanes of the M50 southbound for no obvious reason. Is there an obscure design fault on this stretch of road.

Exactly what you're doing is what's causing the delays.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Most people drive into the auxiliary lanes as soon as possible when they plan to exit. Junction 9 is just horribly designed all over. You found a spot that there's gaps in the queue due to people unfamiliar with it, not sure which lane to take. Or those familiar with it, watching for someone to swoop in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... with muppets completely stopping on the the two inner lanes of the M50 southbound for no obvious reason....
    No obvious reason?? WTF?? If the vehicle in front has stopped, one doesn't really have much choice.

If muppets didn't swoop in from the center lane 200m from the junction, it would alleviate much of the stopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

And why? Because muppets are shooting in 200 mts from the exit causing those who have respect for other traffic and are queuing patiently but have to break because of the muppets. You have no idea what breaking is going on behind you all because of your insensitive and blatant disregard for those in the auxiliary lane.

And why? Because muppets are shooting in 200 mts from the exit causing those who have respect for other traffic and are queuing patiently but have to break because of the muppets. You have no idea what breaking is going on behind you all because of your insensitive and blatant disregard for those in the auxiliary lane.

my previous post was tongue in cheek but thinking about it and getting my head around the road layout, you are right. Not only are people jumping in at the last minute, causing all those already in the exit lane to pause but some of them (mentioning no names) want the extreme left lane for the Longmile Rd.

Whilst I don't doubt there is nothing in Law to stop this behaviour, it does take the biscuit to come on here and complain about the hold ups, claiming there is no reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭raxy

The op said he is going the long mile direction so in this case he is not causing the bottleneck there. The que is headed out of the city so he is correct to join the lane after the when it you ask me. It's those who join at the end & force their way into the N7 lane.
    The biggest problem for that junction is people using the belgard road exit to skip traffic queuing for the n7 exit & rejoining at the end. Traffic not merging correctly at the other side of the belgard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

raxy wrote: »
    The op said he is going the long mile direction so in this case he is not causing the bottleneck there. The que is headed out of the city so he is correct to join the lane after the when it you ask me. It's those who join at the end & force their way into the N7 lane.
    The biggest problem for that junction is people using the belgard road exit to skip traffic queuing for the n7 exit & rejoining at the end. Traffic not merging correctly at the other side of the belgard.

I use the ballymount exit to loop back up, because if I'm going to clondalkin. I don't use junction 9 because I'd need to cross too many lanes to make the monastery road exit right after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭denismc

Its all the people heading for Cork getting their passports stamped.:D

• Advertisement

They're causing it worse by going for the long mile as they're going across 3 lanes from the middle lane last minute to get to the one they want.

he's going to the Longmile Rd form the M50, that's how I read it anyway.

Isambard wrote: »
    he's going to the Longmile Rd form the M50, that's how I read it anyway.

Thats how I read it too but since he's not going in the direction of the backed up traffic theres no need to sit in it to get to the exit. The traffic is getting backed up because of the belgard exit/entry to the M50 is my point.
    he shouldn't be going from the outside lane on the M50 to get there but I don't see a problem from the middle lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Thats how I read it too but since he's not going in the direction of the backed up traffic theres no need to sit in it to get to the exit. The traffic is getting backed up because of the belgard exit/entry to the M50 is my point.
    he shouldn't be going from the outside lane on the M50 to get there but I don't see a problem from the middle lane.

Traffic is backed up queuing for the long mile road.

The OP is the part of cause of the very thing he’s questioning.

Are You for real? At that section it is a 6 lane highway. The person claims he/she is in the 2nd most outside lane, therefore has to cross THREE lanes of a motorway in TWO hundred metres to head for the LMR. And You say he/she is correct?

And the crazy part of this is that this problem isn't just confined to J9 heading south...J7/6 spring to mind too...also where the M50 is joining the M1/old N32 also.

Any wonder we have so many accidents in this country!

Are You saying it's okay to be in the middle lane of a Mway until 200 mts and then zip into the inner most lane and it's no problem? HE/SHE is the problem.

And if he/she doesn't 'need to sit in a queue, where do You propose that he/she can be legally before making a dive 200 mts onto the inner lane?

Alos what exit on the M50is the Belgard exit that You are referring to?

Are You saying it's okay to be in the middle lane of a Mway until 200 mts and then zip into the inner most lane and it's no problem? HE/SHE is the problem.

And if he/she doesn't 'need to sit in a queue, where do You propose that he/she can be legally before making a dive 200 mts onto the inner lane?

I think they must be thinking of somewhere else and not the M50 at all, both for the Belgard references and justifying it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

My point is that the hold ups happen on the stretch of the auxiliary lane and the lane immediately to its right at a point 1 to 2 Km away from junction 9 southbound. This happens at 10.45 am and 12.50pm on weekdays. These are not rush hour times. There is little or no traffic at the actual junction, on the auxiliary lane or the point where it divides into three streams for traffic heading eastbound for the City and for traffic heading westbound for Kildare.

Any car could change lanes at that point on an almost empty road without alarming or panicking any driver of any other car. You have about 500m to 1Km in which to change from the middle lane of the M50 southbound to the auxiliary lane which is clear and take the left split when you reach it for the Naas road.

I avoid the inner lane of the M50 because you have 1 or 2 individual cars STOPPED on that lane trying to get into the auxiliary lane which at that point 1 or 2 KM away from the junction is completely stopped.

All a knowledgeable and locally aware driver has to do is stay in the middle lane as I do and then make the turn off about 500m from the junction where there is little or no traffic present.to stop or impede my progress. I do not cut in on any traffic in doing so as it is not there at that point in the junction entrance. For some reason the hold ups happen at the point in the M50 where it crosses over the Grand Canal by an overpass with no hard shoulders. I suspect some drivers are intimidated by the brief absence of a hard shoulder at that point in the road and come to complete stop. This stop then transmits down the line of traffic in that auxiliary lane and is compounded by the need for some cars to get into the rightmost lane of the M50 southbound if they are intending to continue southbound and do not want to be in the auxiliary lane when they reach junction 9. These cars should have got out into the Main three lanes of the M50 well before reaching junction 9 but many are too slow and hesitant to do so even with 4Km of 4-lane highway in which to do so between Lucan, Junction 7 and Junction 9.

As a comparison I do have occasion to go from Liffey Valley entrance onto the N4 Eastbound and need to get onto the M50 southbound. It is a distance of about 400 meters and it is just about possible to make four lane changes at the posted 80kph in order to be in the southbound lane heading towards the tight turn onto the M50 southbound.

I do 2 lane changes in 500 meters on the M50 southbound at 100kph in light traffic and get classed as being a queue jumper or disturbing other traffic.

These I would class as normal manoeuvres.

Rules of the road stipulate that each lane change be treated separately with an individual Mirror/Signal/manoeuvre for each lane change and this is what I do.
    The driving standards literature does not recommend multiple lane changes in one go without mirror checks because a following driver can suddenly speed up in a lane to block you off. You have to check your mirrors each time you change lanes and treat each lane change separately. Some drivers do not do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

raxy wrote:
    Thats how I read it too but since he's not going in the direction of the backed up traffic theres no need to sit in it to get to the exit.

He has to cross the backed up traffic to get to where he wants to go. Doing this 200m before his exit at probably 80kmh or so is incredibly fcuking dangerous and just adding to the delays he's too important to sit in by causing a brake-light backlog.

My point is that the hold ups happen on the stretch of the auxiliary lane and the lane immediately to its right at a point 1 to 2 Km away from junction 9 southbound. This happens at 10.45 am and 12.50pm on weekdays. These are not rush hour times. There is little or no traffic at the actual junction, on the auxiliary lane or the point where it divides into three streams for traffic heading eastbound for the City and for traffic heading westbound for Kildare.

Any car could change lanes at that point on an almost empty road without alarming or panicking any driver of any other car. You have about 500m to 1Km in which to change from the middle lane of the M50 southbound to the auxiliary lane which is clear and take the left split when you reach it for the Naas road.

I avoid the inner lane of the M50 because you have 1 or 2 individual cars STOPPED on that lane trying to get into the auxiliary lane which at that point 1 or 2 KM away from the junction is completely stopped.

All a knowledgeable and locally aware driver has to do is stay in the middle lane as I do and then make the turn off about 500m from the junction where there is little or no traffic present.to stop or impede my progress. I do not cut in on any traffic in doing so as it is not there at that point in the junction entrance. For some reason the hold ups happen at the point in the M50 where it crosses over the Grand Canal by an overpass with no hard shoulders. I suspect some drivers are intimidated by the brief absence of a hard shoulder at that point in the road and come to complete stop. This stop then transmits down the line of traffic in that auxiliary lane and is compounded by the need for some cars to get into the rightmost lane of the M50 southbound if they are intending to continue southbound and do not want to be in the auxiliary lane when they reach junction 9. These cars should have got out into the Main three lanes of the M50 well before reaching junction 9 but many are too slow and hesitant to do so even with 4Km of 4-lane highway in which to do so between Lucan, Junction 7 and Junction 9.

As a comparison I do have occasion to go from Liffey Valley entrance onto the N4 Eastbound and need to get onto the M50 southbound. It is a distance of about 400 meters and it is just about possible to make four lane changes at the posted 80kph in order to be in the southbound lane heading towards the tight turn onto the M50 southbound.

I do 2 lane changes in 500 meters on the M50 southbound at 100kph in light traffic and get classed as being a queue jumper or disturbing other traffic.

These I would class as normal manoeuvres.

Rules of the road stipulate that each lane change be treated separately with an individual Mirror/Signal/manoeuvre for each lane change and this is what I do.
    The driving standards literature does not recommend multiple lane changes in one go without mirror checks because a following driver can suddenly speed up in a lane to block you off. You have to check your mirrors each time you change lanes and treat each lane change separately. Some drivers do not do this.

And You can move from middle lane of M50 in 4 lanes ( including the lane You want to be on ) in 200 metres? And this can be done legally????

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    He has to cross the backed up traffic to get to where he wants to go. Doing this 200m before his exit at probably 80kmh or so is incredibly fcuking dangerous and just adding to the delays he's too important to sit in by causing a brake-light backlog.

Totally agree DH. I would also contend that the impatient 'drivers' who drive up the inside lane of the M50 and at the last moment tries to get onto the auxiliary lane ( I am particularly thinking of J7 Southbound heading for Palmerstown/Lucan ) but cannot get in thus coming to a standstill and causing a build up and possible boot up the arse is also a big hazard to driving here.

Totally agree DH. I would also contend that the impatient 'drivers' who drive up the inside lane of the M50 and at the last moment tries to get onto the auxiliary lane ( I am particularly thinking of J7 Southbound heading for Palmerstown/Lucan ) but cannot get in thus coming to a standstill and causing a build up and possible boot up the arse is also a big hazard to driving here.
    that's what the OP is complaining about without realising he is part of the cause of it. What he's doing isn't illegal but it isn't cricket either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

That is the distance I specified not 200m.

Of course the wishful thinking got in the way of facts.

I move from the middle lane not the outer lane.

I move in when the traffic is non existent or very sparse.

I move in over at least 500m to 1 Km not 200m as wishfully expressed in your retort.

This occurs in non-rush hour traffic.

I check mirrors as per the rules before each manoeuvre as per rules of the road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I always keep to the middle lane until I am 200m from the junction and then I can get into the junction
    you need to explain yourself better so.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Any time I've used it, I'm usually on a coach. With three lanes to use in the junction, often car drivers are only using the lane that becomes the right hand lane on the N7.

There is no law about the amount of lanes a car can cross so there is nothing illegal about it.
    There are max 5 lanes on that part of the road. The Op would need to cross 2 lanes to get into the city bound lane on that exit. It can be safely done so it is not a problem for me. There is obviously a risk that when he gets to the exit he may not have the space to safely move over but I've rarely seen anyone doing what he's said that I would consider unsafe & I take that exit everyday (Im just in the backed up lane going the N7 route). It is the cars that attempt to also cross into the N7 lane that cause issues.
    There are cars stopping dead on the inside lane of the M50 waiting for gaps to open, that is the unsafe driving being done there & cars joining into the M50 who are not going an appropriate speed for
    The other junction I am referring to is the ballymount exit, it leads onto the belgard road.

Just noticed the op is talking about southbound traffic, I'm thought it was coming from the south.

There is no law about the amount of lanes a car can cross so there is nothing illegal about it.
    There are max 5 lanes on that part of the road. The Op would need to cross 2 lanes to get into the city bound lane on that exit. It can be safely done so it is not a problem for me. There is obviously a risk that when he gets to the exit he may not have the space to safely move over but I've rarely seen anyone doing what he's said that I would consider unsafe & I take that exit everyday (Im just in the backed up lane going the N7 route). It is the cars that attempt to also cross into the N7 lane that cause issues.
    There are cars stopping dead on the inside lane of the M50 waiting for gaps to open, that is the unsafe driving being done there & cars joining into the M50 who are not going an appropriate speed for
    The other junction I am referring to is the ballymount exit, it leads onto the belgard road.

I'm not going to get into an argument with You, suffice to say there are SIX lanes on that part of the Mway...3 heading southbound, 2 heading to the N7 Southbound, and 1 heading towards Dublin City.

The person mentioned the 'Rules of The Road' and how he/she uses them to get from the 2nd most outside lane and moves across 3 lanes before getting into his/her lane, the inner lane for Dublin City. ALL within 200 mts??

As for Belgard, one can also go out the N7 and come off at Newlands X for The Belgard Road. Sorry if am pedantic, but I couldn't interpret that Belgard meant the J10 Exit.

I'm not going to get into an argument with You, suffice to say there are SIX lanes on that part of the Mway...3 heading southbound, 2 heading to the N7 Southbound, and 1 heading towards Dublin City.

The person mentioned the 'Rules of The Road' and how he/she uses them to get from the 2nd most outside lane and moves across 3 lanes before getting into his/her lane, the inner lane for Dublin City. ALL within 200 mts??

As for Belgard, one can also go out the N7 and come off at Newlands X for The Belgard Road. Sorry if am pedantic, but I couldn't interpret that Belgard meant the J10 Exit.

If you look at my last post I said I missread the ops post & thought he was going north not south.
    Since the discussion is about the M50 I don't see how mentioning the belgard road exit is not clear, it is sign posted on the M50 at j10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Google phantom traffic jams and then think how someone cutting across multiple lanes of traffic near a junction could have that effect.

Advertisement