Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo Core i3 8th generation laptop with 128GB SSD @449 euro

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OK, sorry to keep checking in here, but helpful posts so far!

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenovo-v330-intel-core-i5-8250u-8gb-256gb-ssd-15.6-inch-windows-10-laptop-81ax00cbuk/version.asp

I can get this for €589.
    Or €770 with a ram upgrade to 16gb.

Is the ram upgrade worth it?

Edit - plus €12 postage to Parcel Motel in NI, then €5 PM fee.

so €605 V 785 ish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

kceire wrote:
    I can get this for €589. Or €770 with a ram upgrade to 16gb.

8GB should cover all your needs. 16GB would be helpful for 4k video editing although the i5 processor probably would lag with 4k.

Upgraded my wife's machine to 16GB and did not notice any difference at all. I'd recommend staying with the 8GB, upgrading RAM is easy if required down the line.

OK, last post on this thread, promise, just that the lads have been so helpful.
    I'm buying something over the weekend.

I've narrowed it down to the following :

HP Pavilion 15 - 128GB SSD & 1TB HDD
    I'm unsure about the Ryzen 5 Processor. Is it on par with the i5 8th Generation?

Brand New Dell XPS 15

Donedeal ad and the buyer wants payment into his AIB account, all in €830 delivered to Dublin. Cracking machine but the whole donedeal thing. If he was local i'd go and buy without hesitation.

Dell Inspiron 15 5000

Could possibly get this for €619 with the trade in but my current laptop is 2010, and they say 2011 is the cut off point, but how would they know? Don't need the 2TB if im honest, so could get one direct from Dell for €599 with just the 1TB HDD.

Thanks guys

sugarman wrote: »
    I still think the Lenovo you linked to is the best machine of the lot and great value.

That HP is available for €578 delivered from HP online store. Its not a bad machine at all, processor is very similar to the 8th gen i5. Ever so slightly slower but nothing anyone would physically notice.

The Dell on Donedeal is just screaming scam. No name/number, stock image from google. vague details. Looking for bank transfer. Id avoid at all costs. With your budget theres no need to look at used. Get something with some warranty / cover from a recognized retailer.

The Dell from Currys is out of stock and IMO, over priced to begin with.

Dell have a good UK outlet that sell refurbed/returned machines with warranty, they usually only have mild cosmetic blemishes like a scratch or dint, or just a straight up unwanted return with no issue. Sometimes theres a bargain to be had.

...but as I said, I think that Lenovo from laptops direct is the best of the lot and very reasonably priced.

Cheers,

I've decided to ignore the XPS for now on donedeal. Similar photos from a user on Adverts, but a higher price and he has bad feedback, so following some investigation, I tend to agree with you there.

The Dell in curry's is actually in stock in Airside
    I've been checking dell outlet store over the last week but nothing popping up that suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Personally, I would not buy a laptop with a HDD as the main storage anymore, unless it was to have it immediately replaced with an SSD. Such a bottleneck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

That done deal ad calling XPS a top spec gaming laptop. Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

420e in Curry's UK. It would drive you mad. Is there any way of buying from their UK site?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

420e in Curry's UK. It would drive you mad. Is there any way of buying from their UK site?

Parcel motel, parcel wizard, addresspal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

That's not the issue, Currys UK require a UK bank card with matching billing address at checkout and often look for verification before processing the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Will they take an Irish debit card? Though I read somewhere before that they wouldn't, but I could be all wrong.

Is the warranty directly with Curry's UK, or with lenovo or how does that work? That would be the only possible issue.

• Advertisement

499-420 = 79
    Then you have to pay parcel motel fee plus increase the risk as it’s over 100e. Is it worth the saving of €70ish if you have problems within warranty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Miike wrote: »
    That done deal ad calling XPS a top spec gaming laptop. Jesus wept.

It has a GTX1050Ti which can run most new games at high settings pretty well....so I'd say it's a very decent gaming laptop.

Having said that, that particular add has 'SCAM' rubber stamped all over it.

Saveonlaptops.co.uk has some great deals as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Davy wrote: »
    That's not the issue, Currys UK require a UK bank card with matching billing address at checkout and often look for verification before processing the order.

They accept Paypal so shouldn't be an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

This is a solid machine(apart from small ssd) , 8th gen 6 core i7, 17.3" screen
    https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/laptops/new-dell-g3-17/spd/g-series-17-3779-laptop/cn37708

€990 after 10% discount

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Hi folks

Looking to upgrade my laptop as mines gone so painfully slow lately. Taking 10mins to start up sometimes. Also getting very laggy browsing/ using programs etc..

Have it a few years now.

Its a lenovo ideapad z500

Basic Specs
    15.6 in, 16:9, 1366 x 768 display,
    2.2GHz Intel Core i7-3632QM,
    6.00GB RAM,
    1 TB HDD
    Nvidia GeForce GT 645M
    2.4kg
    64-bit op system
    Running Windows 10 Upgrade.

Not looking to spend as much on a new laptop so this maybe ideal?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's still a pretty powerful laptop so just get a new SSD for it.

It's not your spec that is causing the slowness, it's a dying hard drive most likely. Throw in an SSD and it'll be as fast as any new laptop really.

Unless you were looking to play games I wouldn't see any other reason to upgrade.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

evosteo wrote:
    Basic Specs 15.6 in, 16:9, 1366 x 768 display, 2.2GHz Intel Core i7-3632QM, 6.00GB RAM, 1 TB HDD Nvidia GeForce GT 645M 2.4kg 64-bit op system Running Windows 10 Upgrade.

The screen is pretty poor and it's old. Upgrading to an SSD maybe a temporary solution as things like the graphics card and motherboard start to fail at this age, I'm guessing you have very little battery power too.

Up to you I suppose, no harm in buying the SSD and moving it to a new machine when you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Soarer

evosteo wrote: »
    Hi folks

Looking to upgrade my laptop as mines gone so painfully slow lately. Taking 10mins to start up sometimes. Also getting very laggy browsing/ using programs etc..

Have it a few years now.

Its a lenovo ideapad z500

Basic Specs
    15.6 in, 16:9, 1366 x 768 display,
    2.2GHz Intel Core i7-3632QM,
    6.00GB RAM,
    1 TB HDD
    Nvidia GeForce GT 645M
    2.4kg
    64-bit op system
    Running Windows 10 Upgrade.

Not looking to spend as much on a new laptop so this maybe ideal?

Thanks in advance
    That's still a pretty powerful laptop so just get a new SSD for it.

It's not your spec that is causing the slowness, it's a dying hard drive most likely. Throw in an SSD and it'll be as fast as any new laptop really.

Unless you were looking to play games I wouldn't see any other reason to upgrade.
    tedpan wrote: »
    The screen is pretty poor and it's old. Upgrading to an SSD maybe a temporary solution as things like the graphics card and motherboard start to fail at this age, I'm guessing you have very little battery power too.

Up to you I suppose, no harm in buying the SSD and moving it to a new machine when you need to.

As the lads said evosteo, throw in an SSD.

I did the same only yesterday, and my machine is now far quicker getting to the login page from off than what it used to be from sleep.

I haven't been at the inside of a computer in 10+ years, but it was a piece of urine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Cheers for the feedback folks. Any particular brand to look out for when purchasing a ssd? Iv come across a crucial 500gb ssd for around €100 for just doing a quick search.

Advertisement