Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save leitrim/forestry is ruining rural ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

fergus1001 wrote: »
    I am personally from a farm myself, I think where land is genuinely non productive they should be allocated to an alternative land use ( I'm not just talking about forestry wind and solar farms spring to mind too), where land is actually productive or has the potential to be land should be put into larger blocks in a land commission style system to ensure that farms are large enough to sustain themselves and provide employment to the surrounding areas

I know there is an emotional attachment to the land in this country but we need to look at things differently if places like leitrim is to succeed going forward

To be fair, I asked if you thought there were any negative impacts from the current scale of planting- that doesn't really answer that question (and if you don't think there are any negatives just say so!).
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

baaba maal wrote:
    To be fair, I asked if you thought there were any negative impacts from the current scale of planting- that doesn't really answer that question (and if you don't think there are any negatives just say so!). Thanks

The answer was in there, I think it should be limited to non productive ground

the scale of planting is fine but could be diversified a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

Just a question guys hope you can help.in leitrim over 5000 meters of my farm mearns coniferous forestry planted 30years right to the boundaries,resulting in circa 15meters width of some good productive land which once was tillage ground turned into sunless,lifeless swamp.will forestry owner/company compensate me for loss of land?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Just a question guys hope you can help.in leitrim over 5000 meters of my farm mearns coniferous forestry planted 30years right to the boundaries,resulting in circa 15meters width of some good productive land which once was tillage ground turned into sunless,lifeless swamp.will forestry owner/company compensate me for loss of land?

if it's planted 30 years it should be cut down soon, you must have some block of land if you have 5km of a boundary ditch ?! can you honestly say that the area receives 0 sunlight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I've seen similar issues around Mayo where plantations were shoe horned onto local raised bogs and messed up the drainage on adjacent farmland. Plus the quality of alot of this forestry is basically rubbish with large areas fallen over due to wind-throw and subsidence as the bog dried out when the natural vegetation died off under the spruce

• Advertisement
Advertisement