Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need planning permission to split house into 3 self contained studio flats

Options
  • 11-08-2018 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have a 4 bed single story house close to Dublin city center. Am wondering if i need planning permission to split it into 3 units each with its own kitchen/lounge, bathroom, bedroom. Im thinking about 3 self contained studio apartments (each approx 33sqm) finished to a high spec ( underfloor heading, lots of natural light, wired smoke and fire system, high spec finish with good quality products throughout). I can do a lot of this work myself. I do not propose to make any changes to the existing structure or facade (just refurbish)

I know Im probably going to have to talk to an architect but expect that it maybe difficult to get proper advice on this. Am just trying to do some initial research. Any help really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Stanford

You need planning because it is a change of use from residential to commercial and represents a significant intensification of use, you also will need fire and building regs certification

• Registered Users Posts: 6 donalf

Thanks Stanford!

The house has been rented to students for the last 10-15 years ( by the previous owner ).

I didn't think change of use would apply as it would remain as residential letting ? Would register with PRTB etc.

( I would ensure all work is done inline with building & fire reg)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Stanford

Presumably its original function was to be a family dwelling so if you now derive income from it the LA could consider it a commercial residential property with an intensification of initial use, do you want to risk all that money on the changes to be possibly caught for having to apply for retention at some point in the future?

Why are you reluctant to get the opinion of a local Architect who is familiar with dealing with your local LA?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Subdivision of a residential property needs planning permission (combining them is easier). You will also need other approvals and certification.
    donalf wrote: »
    Im thinking about 3 self contained studio apartments (each approx 33sqm)
    This size is too small. You probably need to be thinking of 40-45m2.

http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/Planning/DublinCityDevelopmentPlan/Written%20Statement%20Volume%201.pdf
    16.10.1 Residential Quality Standards –
    Apartments
    The standards for apartment developments
    are set out in the Department of
    Environment, Community and Local
    Government guidelines entitled Sustainable
    Urban Housing: Design Standards for
    New Apartments – Guidelines for Planning
    Authorities (December 2015), (www.
    environ.ie), hereafter referred to as the
    2015 Department Guidelines. In addition,
    proposals for apartments shall comply with
    the standards set out below and with the
    requirements of other relevant development
    standards including public open space, play
    space, safety and security, and acoustic
    privacy standards.
    Floor Areas:
    The minimum floor areas permissible are as
    per the Sustainable Urban Housing:Design
    Standards for New Apartments – Guidelines
    for Planning Authorities, as follows:
    Minimum overall apartment floor area*
     Studio-type 40 sq.m
     1-bed 45 sq.m
     2-bed 73 sq.m
     3-bed 90 sq.m
    * All apartment floor area measurements are
    taken from internal wall-to-wall dimensions.
    There are other requirements.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,358 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thanks Stanford!

The house has been rented to students for the last 10-15 years ( by the previous owner ).

I didn't think change of use would apply as it would remain as residential letting ? Would register with PRTB etc.

You absolutely need planning permission otherwise its unauthorised

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks Stanford!

That’s not good enough to say you will do the works in line with regulations.
    To do so, you need to apply for planning. Then get a fire safety cert. then get a disabled access cert.
    then appoint an assigned certifier and carry out the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Victor wrote: »
    Subdivision of a residential property needs planning permission (combining them is easier). You will also need other approvals and certification. This size is too small. You probably need to be thinking of 40-45m2.

http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/Planning/DublinCityDevelopmentPlan/Written%20Statement%20Volume%201.pdfThere are other requirements.

its not too small, I measured out my apartment the other day, 40 sq m, the bathroom is comfortably big enough for a bath etc. The bedroom is bigger than any of the bedrooms in my four bed family home. There is a 2 sq m storage cupboard also. 33 sq m would be fine...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    33 sq m would be fine...
    But, on the face of it, not legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

Get a set of plans drawn up and get cracking.
    They'll go overboard with doing things by the book here.

Ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Useful contribution, especially when dealing with other peoples money and other peoples lives.

OP: three separate elec/water/ [and gas if applicable] meters
    You will require separate rising mains
    Cable size to house may need upgrading.

Self closing fire doors throughout

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Useful contribution, especially when dealing with other peoples money and other peoples lives.

OP: three separate elec/water/ [and gas if applicable] meters
    You will require separate rising mains
    Cable size to house may need upgrading.

Self closing fire doors throughout

What are you waffling on about?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

We obey the law.

Read the forum charter before posting again,

do not respond to this on thread

If you have any questions PM any of the mods

BryanF wrote: »
    We obey the law.

Read the forum charter before posting again,

do not respond to this on thread

If you have any questions PM any of the mods

Aye aye Capt'

• Registered Users Posts: 6 donalf

Thanks for all the feedback on this.

It seems like I would need to get planning in order to be compliant. Going down the planning road might not make sense from a financial perspective. A few quick questions:

- would i still need planning of i were to keep the 3 studios open plan ? ( in the true sense of the word studio )

- a quick look at daft website shows lots of small flats that have been refurbished and are for rent .. there are thousands of multi dwelling houses in Dublin eg., 8 Flats in one house - do they need planning or they just taking a risk ?

Going down the planning road might not make sense from a financial perspective.
    How does a few thousand euros for drawings and application fees radically alter your plan? The amount of construction work required would be exactly the same.
    - would i still need planning of i were to keep the 3 studios open plan ? ( in the true sense of the word studio )
    Yes. You need the planning permission for the subdivision, not for the room layout.
    - a quick look at daft website shows lots of small flats that have been refurbished and are for rent .. there are thousands of multi dwelling houses in Dublin eg., 8 Flats in one house - do they need planning or they just taking a risk ?
    Many of these will either (a) be 'pre-63', that is they were converted before 1963, when planning permission first became a requirement, (b) have obtained planning permission if after 1963 or (c) be non-compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,055 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I thought all the pre-63s were non compliant since a couple of years ago.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Aye aye Capt'

Have a week off

Lumen wrote: »
    I thought all the pre-63s were non compliant since a couple of years ago.

They need to be self-contained, with their own bathroom and kitchen. A pure bedsit, that is purely a bedroom-sitting room is no longer legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Not only do you need planning permission, you haven't an asses chance in hell of getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,055 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Victor wrote: »
    They need to be self-contained, with their own bathroom and kitchen. A pure bedsit, that is purely a bedroom-sitting room is no longer legal.
    I thought that the changes required to make them compliant with housing standards triggered material alteration conditions which brings in building/fire regs which they couldn't meet without crazy money being spent, and that since the landlords weren't the crazy money spending types, in practice they were taken out of use pending conversion to family homes or whatever.

Maybe rents are so high now there is an incentive to modernize them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Lumen wrote: »
    I thought that the changes required to make them compliant with housing standards triggered material alteration conditions which brings in building/fire regs which they couldn't meet without crazy money being spent, and that since the landlords weren't the crazy money spending types, in practice they were taken out of use pending conversion to family homes or whatever.

Maybe rents are so high now there is an incentive to modernize them.

In most cases that came across my desk, the work required to bring them into compliance with the minimum rented housing standards meant they had to alter the number of apartments to give each unit more space to allow for the cooking, washing facilities etc

This alteration of unit numbers meant they needed planning, fire cert and DAC exactly as you say.

We had 3 types, the landlords that paid out to comply, the landlords that sold up and then the landlords that converted back to a single dwelling as planning was not required.

Advertisement