Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The rural wilds of North Dublin- why not build?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jesus don't tell the boggers that! They think Dublin would starve without them!

Fingal is part of Dublin.

North Co. Dublin

And you would starve without it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

I'd hazard a guess the land is a lot cheaper.

It was cheaper because the council did swap deals with builders to give them preferential land for land banks builders had in less desirable places. Idea was the builders would build affordable houses because of this. Funnily enough builders sold at market rates (and above) when the houses came to market.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Jim 77

Mike Hoch wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of that! I obviously knew about the berrys potatos etc but I never imagined a small corner of one of the states smallest counties fed half the market.

Even at that though, I doubt the majority of green space is being used for crops. Developments could surely be built around these fields. If there are only 600 active farmers in Fingal I'm sure that leaves plenty of growing space left over if building commenced up there.
    I think that's 55% of the fresh fruit and vegetables produced in Ireland not 55% of what's consumed in Ireland. As for frozen fruit and vegetables, it's nearly all imported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Loads of farmers were I live have sold their land or some of it in the last few years,hard labour and trying to sustain a living these days from growing vegetables I'd say is the biggest factor or else sons and daughters that inherited the land said fcuk that,I'm not doing that for the rest of my days.

I've seen Rush change considerably over the last few years, at one stage a good portion of the town was under glass houses,now its being marketed as a seaside commuter belt town

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The problem with accommodation policy is that a large majority of the politicos who craft it, and those they answer to, already have homes... often many homes.

The aforementioned realities combined with NIMBYism results in not only a lack of impetus, but actual push-back against the development of rational housing policy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I'm sure the traffic would be great fun after all this building, Ireland needs to find a way to be less Dublin-centric.
    Not a knock against Dublin but isn't there close to 30% of Irelands population there, increasing this is going to create a lot of problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Because some tree hugging nimby crank will lodge objection after objection rather than let people find a solution to the housing crisis.

The apple project in Galway stands as a shining example.

Leave Leo alone he has selfies to take ffs.
    Varadkar among objectors to plans for 41 new apartments
    Leo Varadkar is one of a number of objectors against a new €10m apartment block plan in an area of Dublin he admits is being hit by the housing shortage.
    Mr Varadkar said he was certain that the plan "will impact on the residential amenity and property values of neighbouring homes". He argued that "the application must be rejected in favour of a more appropriate residential or mixed-use development for this site".
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/varadkar-among-objectors-to-plans-for-41-new-apartments-35478127.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

detones wrote: »
    "Fingal county provides around 55% of the country’s fresh produce, which includes soft fruits and berries, apples, lettuces, peppers, asparagus, potatoes, onions, and carrots."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/agribusiness/the-flourishing-flavours-of-fingal-242443.html

So there would be places for people to live, but nothing left to eat.

Don't we eat our young out here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If Metrolink is done correctly , it will open up huge swathes of land for development in NCD.
    Water and severage infasture and amenties will need to be upgraded as well.
    When all that is done then it would be perfect to start development. NCD wouldnt be able to handle large scale
    Increase in population now as OP suggests
    For now there needs to be high density building between the 2 canals. 15+ storey buildings.

Advertisement