Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish Government discussion thread [See Post 1805]

Options

Comments

I would agree that putting public transport in every town and village is nonsensical. I feel spending 1.8 billion in 5 years on cycling infrastructure is also nonsensical.

That's public money.

1.8 billion over 5 years pales in comparison to the money pumped into the hse every year. How much is there to saved in health related costs by encouraging healthy ,active transport? A fitter, healthier population leading a more active lifestyle would be a lesser burden on hse resources and be a saving in the long run???

Though this is Ireland and if current cycling infrastructure is anything to go by then it will be good money poured into bad implementation just like the hse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

1.8 billion over 5 years pales in comparison to the money pumped into the hse every year. How much is there to saved in health related costs by encouraging healthy ,active transport? A fitter, healthier population leading a more active lifestyle would be a lesser burden on hse resources and be a saving in the long run???

Everyday I see people cycling as I drive. They are using the road network. If people want to cycle they can. I also people driving on the motorway to work. They will always need that motorway. They will still sit at their desks and drive home again .
    At present if they have a spare hour in the evening they can go for a cycle on the existing road network .
    You seem to believe that spending 1.8 billion euro on cycling infrastructure will change something overnight where the population will take to the saddle . If they wanted to there is nothing stopping them as it is. It's a non realistic story

This plan is designed to bring the greens on board and distract them with a pointless, expensive project while leo varadkar and Michael Martin take turns running the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

At present if they have a spare hour in the evening they can go for a cycle on the existing road network .

Only a maniac cycles on most of our road network. Theres too much traffic, too may trucks and drivers are too impatient.

And theres no way Id let my kids today cycle about the roads the way I did 30 years ago when I was young.

I lived in the Netherlands for a few years, you would be surprised what is possible.

Only a maniac cycles on most of our road network. Theres too much traffic, too may trucks and drivers are too impatient.

And theres no way Id let my kids today cycle about the roads the way I did 30 years ago when I was young.

I lived in the Netherlands for a few years, you would be surprised what is possible.

Vast majority of people I see on roads outside of towns are people in branded cycling clothes on racing bikes. Will they be sharing the green way with your kids?

Inside towns I see plenty of children on bicycles.

What is the road surface of the proposed green ways?

Ireland isn't the Netherlands. This plan will not get off the ground. Smaller changes at best will be made by some city councils. Rural Ireland will see no benefit. The 1.8 billion will have to be found somewhere else . A ridiculous project to appease some odd ball politician who used to own a bicycle shop

Everyday I see people cycling as I drive. They are using the road network. If people want to cycle they can. I also people driving on the motorway to work. They will always need that motorway. They will still sit at their desks and drive home again .
    You seem to believe that spending 1.8 billion euro on cycling infrastructure will change something overnight where the population will take to the saddle . If they wanted to there is nothing stopping them as it is. It's a non realistic story

This plan is designed to bring the greens on board and distract them with a pointless, expensive project while leo varadkar and Michael Martin take turns running the country.

Jesus, where did I infer that or mention anything about the greens or the need for motorways for people to get to work or anything changing over night? Try reading.

• Advertisement

Jesus, where did I infer that or mention anything about the greens or the need for motorways for people to get to work or anything changing over night? Try reading.

Reading between the gaping lines. The hse part set the stage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭blackwhite

efanton wrote: »
    Sadly not,

There are many many towns that no longer have public transport that once had it. Many more that have never had any form of public transport.
    For instance a good example would be many of the towns that are on the N7. Since the bus companies now choose to use the motorways towns such as Mountrath have lost their bus service.

And I 100% agree with you, not every route would be viable.
    Lets spend the money where it is needed and gives best bang for buck, even subsidise routes if that persuades people to avoid bringing cars into cities, but public transport covering every town in the country simply is not viable

Why the need to lie? Mountrath still has public transport https://locallinklaoisoffaly.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Local-Link-Laois-A5-Booklet-May19-FOR-WEB.pdf

Now instead of being a stop on the Dublin-Limerick intercity buses they have to commute into Portlaoise (a whole 14km - the hardship!!) - it’s hasn’t been left with no services; despite you being so keen to pretend otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

blackwhite wrote: »
    Why the need to lie? Mountrath still has public transport https://locallinklaoisoffaly.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Local-Link-Laois-A5-Booklet-May19-FOR-WEB.pdf

Now instead of being a stop on the Dublin-Limerick intercity buses they have to commute into Portlaoise (a whole 14km - the hardship!!) - it’s hasn’t been left with no services; despite you being so keen to pretend otherwise

That was not my intention.

I have a relative in that town. THe last time I was there without a car and wanted to go to Portlaoise I was told that service no longer existed as the bus eireann buses now used the M7 to bypass Mountrath.

that local link service was not there 2 years ago, or at least thats what I was told. Had to thumb a lift to Port Laoise

I stand corrected, but was not intentional misleading any one.

this might have something to do with it.
    https://laois-nationalist.ie/2019/04/11/bus-route-reprieve/#.XvKgxkVKhhE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

blackwhite wrote: »

I think you will find that is a common occurance around here.....

Why let the truth get in the way of a good story

Reading between the gaping lines. The hse part set the stage

What lines and stage are you talking about? I mentioned the HSE in relation to a fitter population being a lesser burden on the health system. It's not rocket science, a more active population means a healthier population and as a result are less of a burden on the system, be that trough walking or cycling etc. So there are long term gains to be realized but maybe in your mind we should be paying the tax for walking or cycling roads is that it.... just ''reading between the gaping lines'' and setting the stage here :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It gets no better for FF, not that anyone expected it would after such a cockeyed opening few weeks.

Ireland Thinks / Mail on Sunday

FG: 38% (+4)
    SF: 26% (-1)
    FF: 12% (-1)
    GP 5% (-3)
    LAB: 4%
    SD: 3%
    S-PBP: 2%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

Most confusion and incompetence this morning with the delaying of this travel list.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

doc_17 wrote: »
    Most confusion and incompetence this morning with the delaying of this travel list.

MM is in Brussels at a long continuing summit meeting (re Covid funding) so no cabinet meeting till he gets back.

Where is the confusion and incompetence in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I imagine this travel list is a lot more complicated than they realised at first.

We can stick Czechia on our list, but that doesn't mean Czechia will drop the quarantine requirement for inbound Irish travellers. Which means you can book two weeks in Czechia, sit in quarantine and then get a flight home.

And Czechia aren't going to want a sudden flood of Irish tourists, especially when they're seeing a second wave.

My gut feeling is that any green lists are going to be negotiated two-way agreements, and it's going to be significantly smaller then we first thought. Especially given our open border with the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Amazed to see no discussion anywhere on this site on the latest EU meeting given its significance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

MM is in Brussels at a long continuing summit meeting (re Covid funding) so no cabinet meeting till he gets back.

Where is the confusion and incompetence in that?

The Green List? Ah, it’s all plain sailing then so.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Hi does anyone know why John Connors the actor had to make a grovelling apology to the new minister for children ? Did he say something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hi does anyone know why John Connors the actor had to make a grovelling apology to the new minister for children ? Did he say something wrong?

Open Google
    Search "John Connors apology"
    0.32 seconds later.

https://www.thejournal.ie/john-connors-roderic-ogorman-5154644-Jul2020/

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Jack Chambers off to a good start as chief whip. :rolleyes:

FF stumbling from one shambles to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

is_that_so wrote: »
    Open Google
    Search "John Connors apology"
    0.32 seconds later.

https://www.thejournal.ie/john-connors-roderic-ogorman-5154644-Jul2020/

No time for John since his sadly predictable anti Garda rant but this redeems him in my view. Obviously a true apology rather than the usual PR "Terry Proned" ****

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Few posts deleted. Please read the charter folks. Discussion of who has the most smug looking head on them falls well short of the standard of contribution required.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

awec wrote: »

Thats shocking. Charlie Haughey would have had him fed to the pigs for that.

Why the hell would FF members remove another jenga piece that could eventually precipitate an election when they would be the biggest losers by far as things stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭golfball37

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Thats shocking. Charlie Haughey would have had him fed to the pigs for that.

Why the hell would FF members remove another jenga piece that could eventually precipitate an election when they would be the biggest losers by far as things stand?
    It’s only gonna get worse them the longer people see there’s no difference between them and fg imo. The snipers from the sideline now are guaranteeing their own seat I’d say

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pyrrhic victory for Ryan today, 51.2%

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

L1011 wrote: »
    Pyrrhic victory for Ryan today, 51.2%

That is very tight.

Maybe a joint leadership might be a good step.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

That is very tight.

Maybe a joint leadership might be a good step.

That would require a change to the party constitution. I expect it will be proposed at convention, but who knows if it will pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I can't figure out exactly what he did today, can someone explain?

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Gintonious wrote: »
    I can't figure out exactly what he did today, can someone explain?

The government's choice for Ceann Comhairle was defeated despite having a nice majority, and Jack Chamber's job as whip is to ensure that doesn't happen. Very embarrassing for the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

The government's choice for Ceann Comhairle was defeated despite having a nice majority, and Jack Chamber's job as whip is to ensure that doesn't happen. Very embarrassing for the government.

I'm sure there are more than a few members of government who are not all that embarrased that O'Dowd did not get the job.

• Advertisement

The Ceann Comhairle job is not a Gov appointment, and is a secret vote by Dail members. There is no penalty on Gov TDs for voting how they like, so no real job for the whip.

Advertisement