Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi and Lidl vegan products.

Options
  • 09-08-2018 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Firstly I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

Anyway, I recently turned vegan partly because I wanted to give it a try and secondly with all the recent news about climate change I want to lower my carbon footprint. So I decided I'll give it a try for this month and see if it's something I can stick to long-term I find using eatthismuch helps take all the hassle out of planning meals and arranging a shopping list as well as making sure I get adequate nutrition.

Anyway, I've never really shopped at Lidl or Aldi I preferred Tesco due to being able to use the automated checkout. But lately maybe it's just me but some of their prices seems to have increased especially with vegan suitable options.

Sorry, I tend to go on a bit too much just curious how do you find the selection of vegan-friendly Foods at the two German supermarkets?

Finally where is the cheapest place to buy tofu?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well done on the effort! The cheapest place to buy tofu depends on if there is an Asian supermarket or shop anywhere near you. Dunnes also have a great one for €1.99 called super-tahoe, it's really firm which is much nicer in my opinion.

Lidl and aldi tend to have vegan specials that come and go. Recently there was pizza and now there is icecream. In general they are really cheap for veg and legumes but don't have too much ready made meals, there is one quinoa jambalaya with soya strips in Lidl that is really good. I think Lidl have a list of everything vegan on their site. They'd have soy milk, vegan butter, hummous, jars and tins and all that.

If you want more ready made stuff Tesco tends to be best, just depends on what you want to get. I'm not in Aldi that often to tell you much about them. They have a vegan guide here though! https://www.aldi.ie/intolerance/vegan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Well done on the effort! The cheapest place to buy tofu depends on if there is an Asian supermarket or shop anywhere near you. Dunnes also have a great one for €1.99 called super-Tahoe, it's really firm which is much nicer in my opinion.

Lidl and Aldi tend to have vegan specials that come and go. Recently there was pizza and now there is ice cream. In general, they are really cheap for veg and legumes but don't have too many ready-made meals, there is one quinoa jambalaya with soya strips in Lidl that is really good. I think Lidl have a list of everything vegan on their site. They'd have soy milk, vegan butter, hummus, jars and tins and all that.

If you want more ready made stuff Tesco tends to be best, just depends on what you want to get. I'm not in Aldi that often to tell you much about them. They have a vegan guide here though! https://www.aldi.ie/intolerance/vegan

Thank you, Tar I say it will take me a while to get used to this new Diet is it just me or is packing in 2000 calories from plant-based foods really hard I'm finding it difficult but anyway today I learnt how to not make a kale and apple smoothie. I'm sure next time I'll get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Getting the calories shouldn't be a problem - my advice is just eat when you're hungry and make sure you have as wide a variety of food as you can.

There are overweight vegans, trust me!

I see you're in Mayo - a bit thin on vegan options there but there's a huge Galway vegan crowd (on FB), if that's not too far for the occasional jaunt. Maybe get some ideas from them. I travel up there from Ennis when they have meet-ups.

Have a look on happycow.net too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭JTMan

Aldi recently started selling some nice vegan ready meals.

Getting the calories shouldn't be a problem - my advice is just to eat when you're hungry and make sure you have as wide a variety of food as you can.

There are overweight vegans, trust me!

I see you're in Mayo - a bit thin on vegan options there but there's a huge Galway vegan crowd (on FB), if that's not too far for the occasional jaunt. Maybe get some ideas from them. I travel up there from Ennis when they have meet-ups.

Have a look on happycow.net too.

It's not too bad where I am thankfully here in Castlebar we are quite lucky in that we have all 5 of the major supermarkets. And three of them are very close together. I'd imagine being a vegan would be a damn sight harder in somewhere like Belmullet.

Thank you for the link it's useful to know where are good places to eat are.

• Advertisement

RHJ wrote: »
    I'd imagine being a vegan would be a damn sight harder in somewhere like Belmullet.

It's a lot to do with attitude and support - there's a whole vegan Irish-speaking family on Inisheer, for instance. They've been vegan for yonks and have just started the pop-up vegan café there.

Also, being part of a group (Meet-Up or Facebook) can help.

Being able from scratch is useful to anyone - but especially for a vegan. And it's so cheap!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thank you, Tar I say it will take me a while to get used to this new Diet is it just me or is packing in 2000 calories from plant-based foods really hard I'm finding it difficult but anyway today I learnt how to not make a kale and apple smoothie. I'm sure next time I'll get it right.

I wish I found it hard, I am the opposite, trying to keep them down. A tub of hummous is like 600 calories and I'd eat that in one go :D 100g of muesli is nearly 400 calories, I could easily eat twice at once. Nuts, seeds etc too
    Also would eat a lot of legumes.

What kinda food would you eat during a day?

Smoothie -

2-3 leafs ( its leaves isn’t it ?) of kale

Half an apple

Small banana

1- sticks of celery

Half a lemon. I’ve bought a fantastic little fruit squeezer for this

100-120ml of coconut water, or any plant based milk

A tablespoon of cacao nibs, chia seeds, flaxseed,

Into a Nutri bullet for about 35-50 seconds

If you find it not too palatable you could add a date

I have one almost every morning.

Because I’m a forgetful fellow I’ve named it a ‘black’ so I don’t forget any ingredient

Banana
    Lemon
    Apple
    Celery
    Kale

Put in as much kale as you like.

You can obviously play with the quantities and especially with the liquid. You might like it thicker or less so

This is the tool I use for juicing small citrus fruits

http://www.victoriasbasement.com.au/Product/Details/92666/samsam-lemon-squeezer

Here is some stuff currently available in Lidl and Aldi

6QPKl9Fl.jpg

Most of my smoothies consist of a plant based protein powder (as I weight lift), a banana, peanut butter, cocoa powder and soy milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

6QPKl9Fl.jpg

Most of my smoothies consist of a plant based protein powder (as I weight lift), a banana, peanut butter, cocoa powder and soy milk.

What’s the pizza like I wonder.

Will give it a go and let you know! For science. Stick some pesto on there too.

I have a small (700 ml) cuisinart food processor that is very handy for making sauces or dips.

For those that like pesto or hummus -

A lovey creamy non greasy pesto -

2 cups of basil (or one cup of rocket & 1 basil)

1 clove of garlic

Juice of half a lemon

1/4 cup of a soft nut like - pine or raw cashew or walnut (best to soak the cashew or walnut in boiling water for 15 minutes before using)

2 heavy tablespoons of nutritional yeast

1-4 teaspoon of salt

3-5 tablespoons of water

Fire all into a food processor and blend.

Alterations - if you’re using ALL the pesto on the same day you make it you can add more garlic. If it’s going to be sitting in your fridge to use over 2-5 days then only use one clove of garlic as it’s flavour intensifies.

You can add more nutritional yeast to make it a bit more cheesey.

You can add more water if you like it less thick or you could add some soft silken tofu (about 150g) to make it extra creamy but don’t use any water.

Obviously you can alter all ratios to get your own preferred taste but the above recipe is the one I use.

The thought of shop bought pesto is now pretty off putting to me.

This homemade pesto is great with some good quality lentil or chickpea pasta and a tin of your favourite beans all mixed together. You can garnish with crushed nutritional yeast too.

Also, rather than the 1-2 tablespoons spoons of shop bought pesto you can easily add half this recipe in with some pasta and it’s not overpowering.

Hummus -

1 drained tin of chick peas

1 clove of garlic

1/3 cup of tahini

1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin

3/4 teaspoon of salt

Juice of half a lemon

All into the small food processor and blend

You can add in some nutritional yeast if you like

Again, only use 1 garlic clove if you’re going to use it over 2-5 days as the garlic flavour will really intensify but if you’re using all the hummus on the day you make it you can use 2-3 cloves

Again, you can play with ratios to get your favoured consistency.

For the minimal effort involved in these two recipes I would guess you will never buy pesto or hummus again.

The flavour is nothing like the bought version.

Hummus -

1 drained tin of chick peas

1 clove of garlic

1/3 cup of tahini

1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin

3/4 teaspoon of salt

Juice of half a lemon

All into the small food processor and blend

You can add in some nutritional yeast if you like

Again, only use 1 garlic clove if you’re going to use it over 2-5 days as the garlic flavour will really intensify but if you’re using all the hummus on the day you make it you can use 2-3 cloves

Again, you can play with ratios to get your favoured consistency.

For the minimal effort involved in these two recipes I would guess you will never buy pesto or hummus again.

The flavour is nothing like the bought version.

Nice - I like the addition of cumin.

I sprout chick peas first, so the hummus is 'raw' - extra nutritional benefits. You need a fairly good blender though.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Is that peanut and hazelnut ice cream any good? I'm tempted...

Yeah I really liked it. They are all nice. I loved the cherry one!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Thanks, I'll try them, I saw that they're back in Lidl this week...

Unfortunately the tofu they had on offer in Leadville is gone, at least here in Castlebar. I had to settle for going to Tesco and getting the soft type of tofu for €2.50 for 359 g tomorrow if I have time there is a Afro-Asian shop. Hopefully they might have a better selection and hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on a few sheets of nori.

Are there better stores in Galway or even a place in Dublin I could go to for a day next weekend and stock up?

Are there better stores in Galway or even a place in Dublin I could go to for a day next weekend and stock up?

If you're into organic, Meanwell in Ennis is the place to go. You can have a meal in Peckish, the vegan/organic café opposite, while you're there!

Obviously it's a bit further than Galway but not as far as Dublin, plus there's no motorway tolls.

• Advertisement

If going to Dublin you can buy whatever you can think of. I don't know about Galway, they have Evergreen health stores at least.

Just to clarify for those who don't know about Meanwell in Ennis - I've no connection with them, other than being a regular shopper there - they've two shops in Merchant's Square in that town.

Much on sale is organic and they've recently gone totally vegan.

One shop sells an enormous range of packaged goods, plus a frozen and chilled section, plus the usual herbal products.

The other has a wide range of organic veggies, both local and imported. Best of all, they stock loose goods - beans, grains, nuts, seeds, dried fruits, muesli, pasta, snacks, Engervita, rice etc - so you can bring your own containers, saving on packaging.

I don't mean to advertise them - if I'm breaking a rule, feel free to edit the post mods. - it's just that they're way better than anywhere else in the mid-west (including Galway) when so few options are available for local vegans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

6QPKl9Fl.jpg

I've never seen vegan pizza in aldi or lidl. Were they weekly specials?

Yeah they have them as special now and again. They sell out fairly instantly too

Hopefully, they bring them back full time. The only Vegan product I saw was the soy ice cream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Would be great to get them in full time. I was delighted to see Linda Mac vegan sausages in Lidl recently. Seem to be full time. Pity all the Quorn stuff in aldi/lidl get is not the vegan stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Quick Q.

What's nutritional yeast, why & how would you eat it and where would you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

fat bloke wrote: »
    Quick Q.

What's nutritional yeast, why & how would you eat it and where would you get it?

It's fairly easy to get in health stores, though I haven't spotted it in supermarkets near me at least. Think Holland & Barrett sell it as well.

It is not as strange a food as you might think. I think the word yeast is a bit associated with brewing and baking, and of course Marmite, to such a degree that people expect this stuff to be very strong and weird tasting, but honestly it really is quite mild in my opinion.

The type I use is a fairly common brand. It's called Marigold Engevita that costs 4 or 5 euro in my local shop. Some people say they prefer other brands, but I find it okay.
    91ZOSRY3%2ByL._SY445_.jpg

Basically it comes in the form of dry flakes, which are approximately the same size as most oatmeals. (Though not as big the "jumbo" type of oats you sometimes find in brands like Lidl's "Oatilicious".)
    They are quite soluble.

They are mostly used to give a "chessy" vibe to vegan food.

Personally, one of my favourite and most simple ways to use it is to sprinkle some onto a mashed potato, along with some chopped raw (or fried) onion and mix them all together with a blob of vegan margarine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Quick Q.

I love it sprinkled on toast and also over pasta dishes! I use it as an ingredient in lots of recipes also, also in making homemade cheese alternatives! I love the taste of it but use it mainly for the B12!

• Advertisement

Quick Q.

Engervita do three kinds: original, organic and a B12-added. It's full of other B vitamins too. It doesn't like being boiled. :D

It can slightly thicken some gravies, too, in addition to above-mentioned uses. White sauce is enhanced by stirring some in off the heat.

I also use it to make a fake parmesan, which I wrote about here.

Advertisement