Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PGA Championship Thread

Options
  • 09-08-2018 9:26am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We already have a long thread about how to watch but let's keep this to discussing the tournament and scores, thanks.

On that note who do people fancy? Jason Day has started to play well, though could be a tough week after the passing of Jarrod Lyle for him.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

With the lack of available tv coverage, I unfortunately have zero interest in it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

I like one of this lot to win it!

Brooks Koepka
    Dustin Johnson
    Ryan Fox
    Tommy Fleetwood
    Justin Harding
    Zach J. Johnson

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I hate to say it, but I think Rory is getting close to a win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭benny79

charlieIRL wrote: »
    With the lack of available tv coverage, I unfortunately have zero interest in it now.

Have to agree and its shocking for the sport which is already struggling to attract young players..

I fancied Keegan bradley to go well untill I heard a podcast this morning that they have the rough cut back since earlier in the week, so you have the fancy the bombers this week. The greens are going to be kept slow all tournament so it'll still be easy for them to stop the ball on the greens from the rough with wedges.

Out of all the bombers I think I'd like to see Finau win one he is a talented guy and has performed well this season he had 15 more putts then Molinairi at the open so if he cant putt this weekend he has a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

I fancy Tony Finau to win it. Suits the big hitters and he tends to perform well in majors. Only a matter of time before he wins one I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Seve OB wrote: »
    I hate to say it, but I think Rory is getting close to a win

You're right, close:(

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,283 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Fowler blitzing the course. I sense a collapse of sorts by Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ah sure Tiger has it in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

It looks like it could be another one of those majors from Rory where he starts off slow and ends up coming in the top 5, having left himself too much to do after a slow start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,879 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

OEP wrote: »
    It looks like it could be another one of those majors from Rory where he starts off slow and ends up coming in the top 5, having left himself too much to do after a slow start.

Still something not right with his putting.

The two putts I seen were 6 inches from short to 1 foot plus wide of the mark on a longer one.

For a top pro ("world class") that is very strange stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

12 posts says it all. A farce. I gave up trying to mirror it onto my tv. Laughable.

OEP wrote: »

Still something not right with his putting.

The two putts I seen were 6 inches from short to 1 foot plus wide of the mark on a longer one.

For a top pro ("world class") that is very strange stuff.
    I've only been able to watch it on the shot tracker, but he missed some relatively short ones that you need to be making if you want to win. He's just not a consistently good putter, that's just the way it seems to be with him. If it manages to click for him, he could go very low because he was hitting some monster drives. He has said he's been working on his wedge game a lot so maybe it's still not bedded in yet, he might not be comfortable with whatever he has been trying.

12 posts says it all. A farce. I gave up trying to mirror it onto my tv. Laughable.
    Can't you just stream it on a laptop, if you have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

I’d prefer to watch it on my tv...easier for us all to see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Is it me or do the greens seem very poor. Really bumpy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

kiers47 wrote: »
    Is it me or do the greens seem very poor. Really bumpy.

Reading an article the other day it did say they would as the day goes on. All the rain on Tuesday wouldn’t help.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,136 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

AGC wrote: »
    Reading an article the other day it did say they would as the day goes on. All the rain on Tuesday wouldn’t help.

The weather has been bad for growing all year in that part of the world.

Greens dont have much grass and what they do have is very broad-leafed so its going to be pretty cut up by the end of the day until the weekend.

It would be much worse but the rain at the start of the week meant they got to roll them before practice so they guys didnt get a major shock today.

Mother nature though, what can you do. (Other than move the event in time and place)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sector wrote: »
    I like one of this lot to win it!

Brooks Koepka
    Dustin Johnson
    Ryan Fox
    Tommy Fleetwood
    Justin Harding
    Zach J. Johnson

Assuming you mean Justin Thomas all of the above are within five shots of the lead after the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,490 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Assuming you mean Justin Thomas all of the above are within five shots of the lead after the first round.

Justin Harding is in 83rd

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    Justin Harding is in 83rd

Ya and Zach J Johnson (pga proffesional) is +6

And T.Fleetwood got 170,000 he shouldnt he got

Dont think I'm using the most up to date leaderboard anyone help me out please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Rory and Shane need to go low today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Another clueless rules official there with Jon Rahm. Jon stood on his ball, causing it to move and hence you replace the ball and incur a 1 stroke penalty. The rules official had him dropping the ball which is incorrect.

HighLine wrote: »
    Another clueless rules official there with Jon Rahm. Jon stood on his ball, causing it to move and hence you replace the ball and incur a 1 stroke penalty. The rules official had him dropping the ball which is incorrect.

In fairness I think you are wrong there. He said he didn't know where it was so how can he replace it? I believe the drop was the correct ruling but I'm open to correction if anyone knows for sure.
    Will try to find the rule.

In fairness I think you are wrong there. He said he didn't know where it was so how can he replace it? I believe the drop was the correct ruling but I'm open to correction if anyone knows for sure.
    Will try to find the rule.

If you cause the ball to move, you replace it. The only situation under the decisions for rule 18-1 where a player would drop a ball, if it was stolen by a spectator and you can't know for sure where it was.

HighLine wrote: »
    If you cause the ball to move, you replace it. The only situation under the decisions for rule 18-1 where a player would drop a ball, if it was stolen by a spectator and you can't know for sure where it was.

Found it Rule 20-3c Spot Not Determinable.

It also references that section under Note 3 in 18-2 Ball moved by Player, Caddie....

• Advertisement

Found it Rule 20-3c Spot Not Determinable.

It also references that section under Note 3 in 18-2 Ball moved by Player, Caddie....

If you cause a ball to move by standing on it, it is determinable and you replace it and hence 20-3c doesn't apply.

Advertisement