Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of home charger

Options
  • 07-08-2018 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,755 ✭✭✭✭

cant see a sticky for this so apologies im sure it answered somewhere, but whats the cost of an external home fast charger for an EV roughly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Cyrus wrote: »
    cant see a sticky for this so apologies im sure it answered somewhere, but whats the cost of an external home fast charger for an EV roughly?

When you say “fast” I assume you mean 32amp?

In that case you’re looking at roughly a grand, including installation. But like anything, you can buy cheap chargers and more sophisticated ones, so it’s really up to you what you want to spend. Allow a grand and you should be there or thereabouts for a good one. Plus, you can claim €600 back after it’s been installed from the SEAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,755 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

When you say “fast” I assume you mean 32amp?

In that case your looking at roughly a grand, including installation. But like anything, you can buy cheap chargers and more sophisticated ones, so it’s really up to you what you want to spend. Allow a grand and you should be there or thereabouts for a good one. Plus, you can claim €600 back after it’s been installed from the SEAI.

super thanks

so its pretty cheap then, net 400 give or take

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

super thanks

so its pretty cheap then, net 400 give or take

Give or take, yeah. I was lucky, the car I bought had a (used) 32a charger thrown into the deal, so all I had to pay for was the install. Got my local electrician to do it, cost just over €300. The install is variable, though, and it depends on the length of cable required and whether you need a priority switch (useful if you have an electric shower). So although someone might say €300 is expensive, there was about 25m of 10mm cable involved in my installation. You could easily pay less if it was more straightforward.

I think they idea of the grant is that it should cover the cost of a standard charger, and if you want to pay more for a faster one, then you make up the difference.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just for clarification, in EV terms, a Fast Charger is generally located in dealers, garages and shopping centres. They can usually charge the car to 80% in 20-30 mins, but getting longer now with the larger batteries in the cars.

The home charger is faster than the 3 pin plug in, but it still takes about 4 hours to charge the typical EV.

SEAI grant of €600 available.
    I bough my charger from the EV facebook page for €200 and had it installed while renovating the house by my mate (sparks) prior to any grant, but the whole set up including charger and install cost me less than €300.

They pop up now and again on here, adverts, ebay and EV forums so keep an eye out.

To get the grant, you don't have to buy brand new, just a cert from a registered electrician to confirm its been installed correctly and to RECI regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

+1

There's no need to spend any more than €600 for a basic home charger setup, so after the €600 subsidy it is completely free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

unkel wrote: »
    +1

There's no need to spend any more than €600 for a basic home charger setup, so after the €600 subsidy it is completely free

Folks, two questions:
    1. Any worth getting the 16A one over 32A?
    2. I actually see companies quoting more than the €600/700 grant, about €1000, so the net payment would be €300 or so. Could post a link of a company who do it at about the value of the grant?
    3. Do the companies who install it also check the electrical wiring in the house? Or does it need to be done separately? What would be the cost? I've got 70s house, refurbished in 2009. Wiring wasn't checked for a long time.

McGiver wrote: »
    Folks, two questions:
    1. Any worth getting the 16A one over 32A?

I take it you meant the other way around? You have to get a 32A. Pretty much all EVs for sale now can charge at 32A

And yes the electrician installing the charging pump will have a look at your existing setup to see if everything will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

unkel wrote: »
    I take it you meant the other way around? You have to get a 32A. Pretty much all EVs for sale now can charge at 32A

And yes the electrician installing the charging pump will have a look at your existing setup to see if everything will be ok
    Cheers for that, so they check the wiring and all that.
    Can't find a cheap vendors though. Would you have an example?
    http://carcharger.ie/ev-owner/

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

McGiver wrote: »
    Cheers for that, so they check the wiring and all that.
    Can't find a cheap vendors though. Would you have an example?
    http://carcharger.ie/ev-owner/

You’re probably paying a bit of a premium there for a no hassle all-in-one service. You could buy the charger yourself (either secondhand or here is a new one - https://evonestop.co.uk/products/wallpod-ev-grey-grey-iec62196-type-2-socket for <€400) and get an electrician to fit and certify it for you (tradesmen.ie or whatever) and save a few quid that way.

Exactly. The electrician would have to run the cable (€25) from a new RCBO (€35) connection in your consumer unit (fuse box) through ducting (€20) and install the charger on the outside of your wall. About an hours work. He really shouldn't charge much more than €100 for his call out / time. So with a €400 brand new charger that's still under €600

If I was installing a charger now, I would pay a little bit more and get a smart one like a Zappi, which brings the total net install cost (after subsidy) from zero up to about €200. This charger can send excess electricity from your solar panels to your car amongst other things. If you are unlikely to install solar in the next 10 years, go with a basic free install.

• Advertisement
Advertisement