Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite city in Ireland and why?

Options
  • 03-08-2018 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Mine has to be Derry.

Me and my gf from Belfast both love it.

The peace bridge, all the shopping, little-to-no chavs, the walls, the guildhalll, the boats, the lack of smokers, insane amount of good restaurants, cityside and waterside, lots of history, the walls, really friendly people. I could go on.

Coming from Belfast to Derry every 3 months it's insane the difference. It's just so peaceful and quiet there. Stressfree.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

All your praise for Derry is valid certainly. I'm quite fond of it.

How many people (possibly including yourself OP) will post here with opinions despite not knowing all the cities?

How many people in the county thread had actually visited all 32?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Favourite city? Isn’t that like asking which was your favourite dentist visit? Are we supposed to like them? They’re really just a necessary inconvenience

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Besides Galway? I'd say Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Londonderry, UK

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

biko wrote: »
    Besides Galway? I'd say Belfast.

No reasons?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Londonderry, UK

So edgy. Not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,076 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Mine has to be Derry.

The peace bridge, all the shopping, little-to-no chavs, the walls, the guildhalll, the boats, the lack of smokers, insane amount of good restaurants, cityside and waterside, lots of history, the walls, really friendly people. I could go on.

Coming from Belfast to Derry every 3 months it's insane the difference. It's just so peaceful and quiet there. Stressfree.

What?, derry has loads. Although they are 'nicer' than your average chav, unless you're one of themmuns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Dubliner here.

I like going to Belfast. The city centre is nice, modern shopping area, fascinating history, titanic built there. Going up on Sunday for the night. We're gonna do the Ulster museum, botanical gardens, liberty hall etc. (Already did bus tour and titanic before)

I cannot really mention anywhere else as aside from Dublin and Belfast, all we have is large towns and it's kind of pathetic to think of Galway etc as a city.

Regards..Belfast wins for me (between places I've been to. Yet to visit Derry but it sounds amazing from the OP post)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Limerick surprised me

Going by press reports down through the years I had my knife ready as the train pulled into the station ready for battle

But no great city very friendly people and not too touristy

Belfast is great craic, lots to do for whatever your bag is.

Tons of time for Cork, picturesque in lots of places and people are lovely, very welcoming.

Someone asked about how many of the 32 counties you'd been to - interesting question! After a bit of thought, I've covered 21 I think

Derry
    Antrim
    Armargh
    Down
    Sligo
    Mayo
    Donegal
    Dublin
    Kildare
    Laois
    Tipperary
    Galway
    Louth
    Meath
    Westmeath
    Limerick
    Kerry
    Cork
    Waterford
    Wicklow
    Offaly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Has to be Galway, great place for arts and culture. Love heading into the city for food and drink. Classed as a city but to me still has the feel of a small town. Close second Derry, as others have said. Leaving aside the obvious, Derry is steeped in history and the people are by and large incredibly nice. Plus my grandfather is from Derry. My Gran is from Kilkenny another beautiful place, Bulter castle and the Black Abbey.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

TBH, all of them are nice in different ways. I'd take a weekend in any of them.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Dubliner here.

I like going to Belfast. The city centre is nice, modern shopping area, fascinating history, titanic built there. Going up on Sunday for the night. We're gonna do the Ulster museum, botanical gardens, liberty hall etc. (Already did bus tour and titanic before)

I cannot really mention anywhere else as aside from Dublin and Belfast, all we have is large towns and it's kind of pathetic to think of Galway etc as a city.

Regards..Belfast wins for me (between places I've been to. Yet to visit Derry but it sounds amazing from the OP post)

The only modern shopping area we have is Victoria square and it's really nothing special. Plenty of people from Belfast travel from there to Derry or Ballybofey to do their shopping.

The places you are visiting are all in the better parts of South Belfast (literally the only good residential areas in the whole city), I live there (plenty of robberies), but I'm surprised you haven't seen all the smicks in the city centre yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Kilkenny,great buzz about the place,I like Galway as a city,the locals are a bit arseholey though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Belfast is class. Easy to get around, fantastic restaurants, and plenty to do. They’ve come on a long way in the last 10 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Killarney. It should count! My favourite place ever and I was gutted to leave the area.

Hated Galway. Traffic lights and traffic jams

Graces7 wrote: »
    Killarney. It should count! My favourite place ever and I was gutted to leave the area.

Hated Galway. Traffic lights and traffic jams

Killarney is beautiful, I was there for the Irish Open a few years ago. Just lovely.

Mine has to be Derry.

Was going to say Derry, too. I've only visited it twice and it's gorgeous, very quaint walking on the walls in the autumn with the trees and the old church off it. The Guildhall was a hive of markets and music last time I was there. Really chilled-out atmosphere, as you say.

It's a pity, however, that the Bogside looks so deprived, still. It might as well be [insert less salubrious area of Dublin]. They've already built over many of the most infamous sites of Bloody Sunday (such as where the priest is waving the handkerchief) with dark depressing dour council brick everywhere. It does nothing for the city. Leave the Free Derry Corner landmark, but gut the rest (it's not like those houses are "historic").

Graces7 wrote:

Killarney is not a city.

Was going to say Derry, too. I've only visited it twice and it's gorgeous, very quaint and a walk on the walls in the autumn with the trees and the old church off it. The Guildhall was a hive of markets and music last time I was there.

It's a pity, however, that the Bogside looks so deprived, still. It might as well be [insert less salubrious area of Dublin]. They've already built over many of the most infamous sites of Bloody Sunday (such as where the priest is waving the handkerchief) with dark depressing dour council brick everywhere. It does nothing for the city. Leave the Free Derry Corner landmark, but gut the rest (it's not like those houses are "historic").

Agreed, it needs investment but there's a peace about the place generally that you thought you'd never feel - I stood on the Peace Bridge and felt a city that had had enough of the past and just wanted to move on. And were doing so largely.

Few quid more wouldn't hurt things.

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Has to be Galway, great place for arts and culture. Love heading into the city for food and drink. Classed as a city but to me still has the feel of a small town.

I started this hoping to hear more about Galway. Plans to visit it were cancelled this summer due to unforeseen circumstances. A lot of people up here seem to like it and put it as the #1 spot in Ireland but it's such a long travel from Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So edgy. Not.

1482082131974.png

I started this hoping to hear more about Galway. Plans to visit it were cancelled this summer due to unforeseen circumstances. A lot of people up here seem to like it and put it as the #1 spot in Ireland but it's such a long travel from Belfast.

If going there, it's better to go when a specific event is on. Last week the arts festival was on and at present the races. The city can be a bit messy at night this week due to celebrations or drowning ones sorrows. It's nice to spend a couple of days in the city but after 2/3 days you would need to explore further.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Dublin, because its the only city that feels the size of international cities

Belfast I wasnt a fan of at all, it had some nice places like titanic quarter and the cathedral quarter but overall I thought it was a very messy city with loads of dereliction and vacant plots and a lot of car parks and too may busy roads and it just have me bad vibes

Galway and Cork just feel like towns but they are both quite lovely places to visit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Limerick

I really like Kilkenny, too. The people there are sound. I always noticed that with the Kilkenny hurlers. Always come across as really decent lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Limerick surprised me

Going by press reports down through the years I had my knife ready as the train pulled into the station ready for battle

But no great city very friendly people and not too touristy

Given that the vast majority of inhabitants are sound and not scummy, how exactly did Limerick earn such a rough reputation? How did the scum manage to characterise the city in the minds of other Irish people?

I think myself perhaps that Limerick has big problems marketing itself. They have put all their external image eggs in the rugby basket. Which is limited in size.

I'm fond of all the cities. They all have their pros and cons. However, I couldn't choose a favourite anymore than I could choose a favourite child.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Dublin > Cork > Belfast > Galway > Derry > Limerick > Kilkenny > Waterford

All great spots but that'd be the order of my favourites.

topper75 wrote: »
    Given that the vast majority of inhabitants are sound and not scummy, how exactly did Limerick earn such a rough reputation? How did the scum manage to characterise the city in the minds of other Irish people?

I think myself perhaps that Limerick has big problems marketing itself. They have put all their external image eggs in the rugby basket. Which is limited in size.

I'm fond of all the cities. They all have their pros and cons. However, I couldn't choose a favourite anymore than I could choose a favourite child.

Basically hysterical media coverage over a family feud where a few people were killed. Gave it a bad reputation. That said, Limerick probably has some of the worst housing estates in the country regarding deprivation, anti social behaviour etc. For example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3SYExmOk4A&t=225s

I love Limerick, though. My grandparents live in the city and I always find the locals very down to earth and friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

theteal wrote: »
    Favourite city? Isn’t that like asking which was your favourite dentist visit? Are we supposed to like them? They’re really just a necessary inconvenience
    Nothing like the buzz of a big city, just walking around Hong Kong Island or Manhattan is an experience in itself, then you have the food, the nightlife, the sights, the attractions.

Advertisement