Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullamore Half Marathon 25th August 2018

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Fantastic event, to echo the positive comments others have made. Amazing attention to detail too - like the supplies of dioralyte/plasters/etc in the toilets afterwards. And the cakes! Mmmm....
    It was really well run and welcoming too. Would definitely go back and would strongly recommend it to others. Thanks to all involved in organising!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

My fourth year in a row doing it and even though I am biased (I'm from Offaly, but not a member of the Tullamore Harriers) I have to say it is now definitely my favourite HM on the calendar. Yes, it's challenging but that makes it all the better. The lap on the track is a great buzz and the guy on the PA as we were coming in gave it socks!! Showering facilities are great as had no intention of rushing home and the spread in the clubhouse was terrific (as usual). Parking was plentiful and non-problematic. Lovely medal and t-shirt aswell. Can't recommend it highly enough. Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 highlandcow

Caprica wrote: »
    Was very impressed with this race, would definitely recommend it. Nice t-shirt and medal, well ran registration, plenty of parking, lots of water on course with a very nice track finish. Got home in 83.42, found the opening 10k tough to hit my splits to the extent that I was 90 seconds behind schedule. Worked hard in the second half and picked of a lot of people, passed a Rathfarnham guy in the las few meters as he was waving to the crowd. Felt strong all the way to the end. Bar the sharp drags around the 12 mile mark, it was probably an easier second half.

Tullamore Harriers have amazing facilities. The track and function room were top notch, the spread afterwards was one of the best I seen.

Sounds like you paced it perfectly. I did not. Was on pace for sub 84 up to 15k then the wheels came off. Struggled home in 1.26 ish.

I will echo what others have said that it is one of the best races on the calendar. My second time doing it and I will be back despite finding it tough going. Well done to all those who took part.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

RayCun wrote: »
    Was very impressed with this race, would definitely recommend it. Nice t-shirt and medal, well ran registration, plenty of parking, lots of water on course with a very nice track finish. Got home in 83.42,

this you, or did you get him right on the line?
    RayCun wrote: »
    Was very impressed with this race, would definitely recommend it. Nice t-shirt and medal, well ran registration, plenty of parking, lots of water on course with a very nice track finish. Got home in 83.42,

this you, or did you get him right on the line?

I just pipped him on the line. Got him in the last couple of strides

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Another +1 for the Tullamore half marathon. I've only done other half to compare it to, although I've done a few 5k's and 10k's over the years. But it was such a well organised event. No bother with parking, registration, tshirt collection, plenty of toilets, lots of space for warming up. Great communication. Short walk from HQ to the start line, everyone knew where to start from and we weren't kept long waiting to start. Everybody taking part was in great spirits. The support along the route is the best I've ever experienced. Between the locals, young and not so young out cheering on, plenty of well stocked water stations and the crew zipping up and down the course on bikes checking all were ok

I enjoyed the course, I found it to be fair. A few people had said Oh I heard it's hilly, I actually found the hills were fine, they weren't anything to write home about, I certainly don't remember much about them and I hate hills! The finish on the track was great, they've a fab surface on it.

Some spread on in the disco hall afterwards, it was great for keeping people about to chat and mingle. Many's a good night was had in there back in the day ;) Only slight compliant is that there was no hot water left by the time I got to the showers, but it didn't really bother me, cold shower didn't do me any harm!

I can certainly see why people would come back to do it year on year....

• Advertisement
Advertisement