Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Sports Going Downhill?

Options
  • 29-07-2018 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭

For a big sports channel why arent they showing any Pre-Season Friendlies?

IMO its embarrassing that Sky Sports news show the International Champions Cup clips with Premier Sports on the top right hand corner.

Sky Sports Football is very poor value for money in the summer nobody wants to watch the MLS at 3am in the morning.

With La Liga going to Eleven Sports what other Competitions or Leagues will Sky lose in the future?

People pay over €1000 a year for the pleasure to watch Sky Sports and it offers nothing during the Summer months for the football fan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Sky still hsve the best Premier league coverage. I do love their coverage but i don't pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

They've never been big on pre season friendlies. They did have the ICC a few years back but like so many of their non PL rights, it slipped away.
    It really is a house of cards built on the premier league now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They've lost far too much now to be considered value for money. Then I don't think they've been value for money for a long time. Their treatment of so called lesser sports is awful when they put them on red button streams meaning no HD.

The channel rebrand from last year has been a disaster as they are after limiting themselves to how much can be shown live on the main channels.

Would very much agree with that. You get the case of chasing something around the red button, even when some of the themed channels have nothing live. Probably one of the worst decisions they have made and I still don't understand main event just showing what's on one of the other channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

mikeym wrote: »
    For a big sports channel why arent they showing any Pre-Season Friendlies?

IMO its embarrassing that Sky Sports news show the International Champions Cup clips with Premier Sports on the top right hand corner.

Sky Sports Football is very poor value for money in the summer nobody wants to watch the MLS at 3am in the morning.

With La Liga going to Eleven Sports what other Competitions or Leagues will Sky lose in the future?

People pay over €1000 a year for the pleasure to watch Sky Sports and it offers nothing during the Summer months for the football fan.

Because there is more to sport than soccer perhaps?? Yesterday alone there was GAA hurling, Formula 1, cricket, darts, showjumping and golf that I can remember off the top of my head.

Don't get me wrong, Sky Sports is a shadow of its former self and it is only really keeping its head above water with its PL package. Any further erosion of this and they will be in trouble. However it personally bugs me that so many people only see the value of a sports channel through the prism of soccer coverage. Watch something else!! You might enjoy it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,388 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I think the big problem that is becoming more and more apparent is that people only seem willing to subscribe to sports channels in large numbers for Soccer. So all the money they spend on other sports is a bonus for those subscribers, but won't drive subscribers directly. When their soccer coverage begins to split between all the players (currently it's a mess of Sky, Eir, Eleven & Virgin in Ireland; Sky, Eleven and BT in UK) it becomes clear that people don't care about the other sports.

I know monopolies are inherently bad, but the fragmentation of sports rights between various pay operators is a bad thing. Maybe the likes of a Eurosport could pick up more in the long run?

Maybe if we ended up with a more American model of sports channels (they are basic channels or in the higher tier, but not pay per channel - so similar to Eurosport now on Sky) that'll help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Sky's 20 quid per month sports package is very telling, losing the Spanish league has to have hurt them massively, also the emergence of these online broadcasters are sure too to dent them even further.

it's well worth 20 quid but anything over 30 is a rip off imo

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The fact is that the Premier League is *the* driver of subscriptions to Sky Sports. That’s why Sky are willing to overspend on it and give up other rights. No other property matters like the Premier League does and everything else is peripheral in comparison.

Re the American model, it’s to be remembered that both the sports rights market and the structure of pay TV is very different over there. Firstly, sports leagues value FTA coverage a lot more. The NFL hasnt signed an exclusive deal with one provider and instead has deals with three free to air networks (NBC, CBS and Fox) and two pay TV networks (ESPN and NFLN). The majority of games air free to air. All the other major leagues use a mix of free to air and pay TV. The only major league to have made its primary outlet pay TV is the NHL, but only in Canada, and even then some FTA coverage has been maintained.

The other thing to note is that while sports channels in the US tend to be “basic” or “medium” tier packages rather than premium, Americans pay premium rates for the likes of HBO, Showtime and other channels whose U.K. equivalents would be basic tier (eg Sky Atlantic).

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Patww79 wrote: »
    I've been meaning to cancel for a long time now as every time I stick it on there's nothing I want and the same thing on about three channels simultaneously.

This is my main issue with Sky Sports at the moment. I'm so sick of checking if there's anything on and being greeted by cricket on each of the first three Sports channels. I know there's probably people who only subscribe to certain sports channels and this caters for them, but if you have all the channels it only serves to remind you what a waste of money the full package is.

Even then, if they had something decent to show it might not be so bad. But aside from the PL, the Championship, the NFL in winter, and the odd hurling game in the summer, their line-up is looking very threadbare. Even things like boxing, which they used to do very well, have almost completely disappeared from their roster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Realalemadrid

When I read the thread title I must admit I saw a new channel : Sky Sports Skiing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Sky Sports have gone all in on the premier league at this stage AND netball, truly awful sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

Anyone paying for sky sports over the summer need there head examimed . Lots of **** old replays and hardly any live sport .

Dont even speak about cricket . Surely has to be one of the worst sports and sky dedicated a channl for that crap

Some of do like the Southern Hemisphere rugby and the GAA.

Look, the footballs back tomorrow (well the EFL anyway), normal service about to resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Great golf on Sky Sports - 3 tournaments in Europe covered last week. Also some great Super Rugby and Rugby Championship to come as well as start of PL. Summer hasn't ended yet.

I'd say Sky is already getting its wagons in a circle and preparing for the rights battle for the 2022-25 PL seasons. I think a massive challenge is coming from Facebook or some similar entity whose primary means of delivery will be online. The Spring of 2021 could be very interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I'd say Sky is already getting its wagons in a circle and preparing for the rights battle for the 2022-25 PL seasons. I think a massive challenge is coming from Facebook or some similar entity whose primary means of delivery will be online. The Spring of 2021 could be very interesting!

In 3 years time, Britain will be long gone from the EU and the Premier League should be allowed to sell exclusive broadcasting rights to just one broadcaster, but since Ireland still falls under the EU monopoly rules it should be interesting to see what happens here.

The Premier League’s 2006 commitments to the Commission ended in 2013. They still maintain the no single buyer rule, on voluntary basis, and an Ofcom investigation in 2016 found no basis to intervene.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2016/premier-league-football-rights

In general the no single buyer rule, far from being a heavy imposition by the Commission that the Premier League would seek to be free of, has worked out better than its wildest dreams. It has kept Sky on its toes, created a viable competitor that could potentially take rights off it, and ultimately assured the Premier League of substantial increases in revenue (which is all the Premier League cares about really. They have no particular loyalty to Sky).

I don’t want to talk too much about Brexit, because no one really knows what Brexit means, and there is a politics forum where that can be debated until the cows come home (and is being). But speaking purely from the issue you raised, if/when Brexit happens, the entire acquis communitaire will continue to apply to the UK until and if the UK legislature individually decides to repeal any individual piece of legislation. You are presupposing (a) that competition law will be among the first pieces of legislation to be repealed (b) the replacement legislation will be much more favourable to monopolists and (c) the Premier League is anxious to revert to a single supplier. Even if (a) and (b) did happen (and that is already two massive ifs) I’ve already explained why (c) will not. In fact in the recent auction the Premier League have gone, voluntarily, to three rights holders. No one told them to do that, not the Commission, not Ofcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Only 1 live football game on Sky Sports Mix over the next month - Northern Ireland v Israel.

What an absolute waste of a channel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

iseegirls wrote: »
    Only 1 live football game on Sky Sports Mix over the next month - Northern Ireland v Israel.

I`m sure there will be plenty of other sports on Sky Sports Mix. Nobody ever stated that only football would be broadcast on that channel. Anyway Sky Sports have two dedicated channels for it as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I turned it on yesterday and there was the same cricket on two channels, the same golf on two channels, and the same eSports FIFA on two channels, while the remaining one had some generic ATP tour magazine show. Final straw and one phone call later I now have 360Mb broadband for the same price I was spending on the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

iseegirls wrote: »

Sky Sports Mix by its very name is a mix of sports not just football. If I wete you I would consider subscribing to Sky Sports if you want to see more football as they ate offering deals at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

So the main complaint here is that they’re not showing glorified football training exercises during the summer?

I think they’re showing most relevant, competitive sport over the summer that they can show. They show the Rugby test matches, most of the golf, a lot of tennis, cricket, rugby league, F1, GAA. I think they’re actually significantly better during the summer than they used to be when they didn’t have F1, GAA, the Open, for example.

What summer events have they lost that they had before?

Yeah, that’s effectively the complaint.

Look there’s two live EFL games, Soccer Saturday and two live MLS games today, tomorrow you’ve live SPFL, EFL, and more MLS. What’s that I hear you say, you demand the Premier League. Look it’s not Sky’s fault they take a three month break. But you’ve not long to wait until Man United v Leicester on Friday at 8pm.

So the main complaint here is that they’re not showing glorified football training exercises during the summer?

I think they’re showing most relevant, competitive sport over the summer that they can show. They show the Rugby test matches, most of the golf, a lot of tennis, cricket, rugby league, F1, GAA. I think they’re actually significantly better during the summer than they used to be when they didn’t have F1, GAA, the Open, for example.

The only one that comes to mind is the US PGA Golf, but then they have broadcast the Open since 2016 so I guess it balances out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

1 of the problems with Sky (in my opinion) is they just have too many sports channels now, 10 channels means 240 hours of programming EVERY DAY, they cant fill all of it and it just looks diluted, 3 or 4 Sports Channels with News would be more than enough, back in the day they used to show matches on Sky One if there was too much sport on the other channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

The only one that comes to mind is the US PGA Golf, but then they have broadcast the Open since 2016 so I guess it balances out.

Yeah and even then they wanted to show that but for non-monetary reasons were refused.

Yeah and even then they wanted to show that but for non-monetary reasons were refused.

There is also the US Open tennis which is now going to be broadcast on Amazon for at least the next five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I had it primarily for the rugby coverage but they lost the pro 14 and the champions Cup this season so I'll be switching to bt/eir

• Advertisement

They didn't show the us open tennis last year either. Not sure if they had it the year before or not, can't remember.

Advertisement