Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An extended desktop/monitor issue

Options
  • 28-07-2018 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell E6400 running Win7. Had desktop extended to a 26" TV for a while vis VGA, but VGA port seems to have stopped working. Now I have it running vis DisplayPort socket and HDMI adapter. Great. However when I turn off the TV, the windows on the TV revert to the main display. This didn't happen with the VGA connection.

Is there a way to change this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Your system probably senses TV disconnect on power of - normal behavior.

You might need to research how to disable "monitor auto-detection".
    It might be different REG key for different graphics cards

Be aware - modifying registry might render your system unstable/unusable - take registry backup in case you need to restore it. Take notes what you modify. Disabling "monitor auto-detection" will prevent your system to detect any new monitors being connected.

Something to read for start:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8a9b5aa7-fe33-4e6d-b39b-8ac80a21fdc2/disable-monitor-off-detection-how?forum=w7itprogeneral

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Slightly related, same machine - how can I make the audio NOT go to the HDMI connection, so I can play stuff on the big monitor and have audio go to my amp via the headphone socket? There is a headphone socket on the TV but it don'e seem to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Right click sound/volume icon on bottom right of your screen, select "playback devices", then select device you want sound to play through on "playback" tab. Right click selected device and select "set as default device"

Or google "hdmi video only" or something in that line

Not sure , but you might need to set play back audio through TV settings to go to "headphones", it might depend on TV set you have, refer to manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Slightly related, same machine - how can I make the audio NOT go to the HDMI connection, so I can play stuff on the big monitor and have audio go to my amp via the headphone socket? There is a headphone socket on the TV but it don'e seem to work.

The way I've always done it is to find HDMI audio output in playback devices as mentioned in the last post and disable it. Right click on the hdmi playback device to bring up the context menu where you will find the disable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Thanks all, sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement