Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best android phone for €250

Options
  • 28-07-2018 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all
    I’m looking for some advice. I am looking at the ZTE Axon 7 64gb on aliexpress or there’s the ulefone t1 for €176 on the same site.
    I didn’t realize there were so many smart phone manufacturers out there.
    Can anyone recommend a phone with good performance, 64gb rom (extendable preferably) a good processor etc for €250 or near that.
    To put in context I currently have a horrendous Nokia 2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

I just got the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Global 4 gig ram/64 gig storage and absolutely love it. It came to about 215 euro all in from honorbuy.com European warehouse. Ordered Monday and had it in my hands Tuesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Yeah I have to admit I’m wary of Nokia now. Why would they release such a terrible phone? Anyway just comparing specs:
    https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Nokia-6-2018,ZTE-Axon-7/phones/10067,10068
    The zte seems to beat the Nokia 6 in hardware terms. Would the Octa processor make much of a difference over the zte’s quad? As in would I notice performance differences for browsing the internet etc.

morgana wrote: »
    I just got the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Global 4 gig ram/64 gig storage and absolutely love it. It came to about 215 euro all in from honorbuy.com European warehouse. Ordered Monday and had it in my hands Tuesday!

That seems like a really good price. You are happy with the performance and battery life? Is there any drawbacks or negatives you could point out to me?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Very happy with battery life. Got more than 2 days with light to moderate use. Very elegant phone imo. Runs miui the Xiaomi flavour of android - but is actually quite nice. The only drawback for some is no app drawer. I don't really mind and is easily fixed buy using a different launcher like Nova.
    Some of my usual apps needed some extra settings but that's due to android 8.1 (I came from 5.1 lol).
    The camera seems quite good and is very quick.
    I got the blue one and it looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

The killer (at least for me) with most Xaomi's is the lack of NFC. I have no idea why they don't include it. No big deal if you don't use Google Pay, I guess. Would just drive me mad that such a basic feature is missing.

morgana wrote: »
    Very happy with battery life. Got more than 2 days with light to moderate use. Very elegant phone imo. Runs miui the Xiaomi flavour of android - but is actually quite nice. The only drawback for some is no app drawer. I don't really mind and is easily fixed buy using a different launcher like Nova.
    Some of my usual apps needed some extra settings but that's due to android 8.1 (I came from 5.1 lol).
    The camera seems quite good and is very quick.
    I got the blue one and it looks great.

Excuse my ignorance but what is an app drawer?
    Also is android 8.1 the latest?
    Just for context what is the better model from xiaomi compared to this model, just so I know what I’m missing out on by buying this model.
    Sorry for all the questions!

Basil3 wrote: »
    The killer (at least for me) with most Xaomi's is the lack of NFC. I have no idea why they don't include it. No big deal if you don't use Google Pay, I guess. Would just drive me mad that such a basic feature is missing.

Ive never-used nfc before, what would you use it for? Is it for paying for things instead of your visa debit, and could you use it instead of a leap card for example?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Same here; no NFC rules it out for me.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Ive never-used nfc before, what would you use it for? Is it for paying for things instead of your visa debit, and could you use it instead of a leap card for example?

Yes, you pay for things instead of using your card. It's like contactless payment on your bank card, but it's not limited to €30.

You can't use it instead of your leap card, but you use NFC to top up your leap card or check your balance with the leap card app.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I have a Wileyfox Swift 2. Is dual sim, cost about 150 on amazon. It has some fancy type of android. This is my second Wileyfox and I think they're an absolutely amazing phone. However, the battery is rubbish. It barely makes the end of the day and it's only about a year old.

Great info here guys thanks very much! I honestly though I’d have to pay 600 yo yos to get a decent sim free phone. That doesn’t appear to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Good article on The Verge about just this.

Motorola Moto G6 is the winner apparently.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,074 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Good article on The Verge about just this.

Motorola Moto G6 is the winner apparently.

The G6 has an old chip in the snapdragon 450.

The new xiaomi A2 has the 660, and the mi8 SE has a 710 chip.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The G6 has an old chip in the snapdragon 450.

The new xiaomi A2 has the 660, and the mi8 SE has a 710 chip.

That mi8 looks like a beast. The mi 6 has a snapdragon 835 and costs approx €290 on aliexpress. Think I might be swaying towards that. I know it’s a bit dearer than I hoped to pay but it looks like a very good phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

Nokia 6.1 plus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Same here; no NFC rules it out for me.

The new Xiaomi Mi A2 has nfc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Recently picked up the heuwei p smart for €210 prepaid on Three. Have to say its a great phone.
    Good camera, 3gb memory, 32gb storage, extendable storage, big screen, has nfc too.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,074 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Witchie wrote: »
    The new Xiaomi Mi A2 has nfc.

You sure? I don't think so, and none of the review sites I've checked say that it does.

Are you sure your not mixing it up with the 2A from 2013?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You sure? I don't think so, and none of the review sites I've checked say that it does.

Are you sure your not mixing it up with the 2A from 2013?

A couple of sites are stating that it does have NFC (probably assumption more than anything), but any reputable site says it doesn't. I have a €90 phone that has it....it's a necessity for me these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

A couple of sites are stating that it does have NFC (probably assumption more than anything), but any reputable site says it doesn't. I have a €90 phone that has it....it's a necessity for me these days.

https://www.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-a2-xiaomi-mi-a2-lite-specifications-pricing-availability-pictures/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I read it here today when was comparing with my A1.....https://gadgets.ndtv.com/xiaomi-mi-a2-4731-vs-mi-a1-4382

corwill wrote: »

That's one of the reputable ones that I was talking about
    Witchie wrote: »
    I read it here today when was comparing with my A1.....https://gadgets.ndtv.com/xiaomi-mi-a2-4731-vs-mi-a1-4382

And that's the site I came across that said it does have it.

Apparently there's no market for NFC in places like India. Can't imagine it's expensive to include.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Apparently there's no market for NFC in places like India. Can't imagine it's expensive to include.

I've always wondered about that. I'd say it's non-trivial all the same. I'd say it's as much the licencing for the tech as much as the physical components. I expect that margins are relatively tight for budget/midranger models. The other corner you often see being cut is Gorilla Glass, a bigger deal-breaker for me than NFC, due to my butter-fingeredness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Hotknot is used in NFC's place in certain Asian markets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement