Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Can someone answer a question that's bugging me.

In the first trailer, we hear a voice over of Rey saying "Everyone thinks they know me, but no one does"....

....and a voice replies "I do"

I presumed it was Ben, but the actual scene was with Finn, but it doesn't sound like Finn's voice saying "I do."

Was it really Ben that said it & was the scene cut....or did I imagine it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

ProudDUB wrote: »

In the first trailer, we hear a voice over of Rey saying "Everyone thinks they know me, but no one does"....

I presumed it was Ben, but the actual scene was with Finn, but it doesn't sound like Finn's voice saying "I do."

I'm not sure exactly on this specific question but Disney over the last few years have started putting in scenes in the trailers that don't appear in the movie itself or tweaking scenes to hide key plot points. It is likely the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Gwanoman

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'm not sure exactly on this specific question but Disney over the last few years have started putting in scenes in the trailers that don't appear in the movie itself or tweaking scenes to hide key plot points. It is likely the case here.

They also did some reshoots. Maybe it was replaced...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Riddle101

What was the secret Finn was about to tell Rey before they almost got killed? Rey asked Finn the secret again when they got out alive but Poe interrupted and that was kind've the end of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Riddle101 wrote: »
    What was the secret Finn was about to tell Rey before they almost got killed? Rey asked Finn the secret again when they got out alive but Poe interrupted and that was kind've the end of it.

One of JJ’s mystery boxes but apparently it was supposed to be that he’s force sensitive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

ProudDUB wrote: »

Most likely it was just edited together for the trailer. They probably took Rey's line and found a line of Ben saying "I do" and made it seem they he was saying it to her.

Happens all the time with trailers. For example, Luke's line in the TLJ trailer: "it's time for the Jedi to end" isn't what he actually said the early cuts of the film. The trailer guys edited that together as it was simpler and Johnson liked it so much he used it in the final film.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Finally saw it last night. While entertaining in it's own way, it was another example of just taking the easiest (and sometimes most baffling) path. If it's the last JJ Abrams film I ever see I don't mind.

Despite the criticism George Lucas gets for the prequels I really do wish he had been a the helm of these movies. Neither JJ nor Johnson had the vision of Lucas and that's where I think the sequel movies fail. They rely heavily on nostalgia which I'm sure a lot of Star Wars fans appreciated, but outside of the nostalgia they were kind've weak.

Who knows, maybe Lucas wouldn't have been any better with those movies but I think it would have been in safer hands under Lucas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd want Neill Blomkamp, Denis Villeneuve or Alfonso Cuaron onboard. People with storytelling ability and sci-fi chops. Disney owning it would never see that happen though.

Lucas although giving us Star Wars in the first place, also is responible for the Prequels, JarJar Binks and the pretty terrible casting of Anakin, which then seemed to have serious repercussions for the actor who played him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

The Force Awakens had prepared me for Abrams not delivering a great or even remotely satisfying story or movie so I was not upset at how disappointing it is.

I was surprised at the energy of it and that it had moments of fun and that he had actually attempted to make it a spectacle. It was the kind of fun, energy and spectacle that Episode VII should have had instead of because dull and empty.

I didn’t think things could get worse than having the bad guys be just copies of Vader and the Empire but then he goes and actually brings back the dead Big Bad which if you view the Saga as one story undies the mythology. What was the point of everything in the previous trilogies if the Emperor and Sith are not destroyed and Anakin’s redemption and sacrifice didn’t mean anything? To say nothing of the fact that that whole plot is ripped off from Dark Empire. Even down to the “dyad”.

And the trilogy is chock full of pointless new characters. Finn and Poe are meaningless. Poe is so worthless that that the only backstory they could give him was he was the smuggler like Han and Chewie?

The Luke/Rey storyline in Last Jedi is great as is the throne room scene. The rest could have been interesting but Johnson was lumbered with a bunch of pointless heroes. Hamill of of course is just fantasic.

Apart from that the Sequel Trilogy is a disappointing mess and a shameful wasted opportunity. This blame is on Abrams and Kasdan for regurgitating things already done and having no imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    I am not entirely convinced a fabled 'plan' would have had the creative* and storytelling dividends many seem to think it would.

Creating a film trilogy without a proper plan is always utter madness and its very clear that the plan was all over the place, they don't feel like 3 connected films and this shouldnt of happened like this.

Seen this film yesterday, didnt have high expectations due to the average TLJ but overall an excellent film. Yes a few flaws in the story but overall it ticked all the important star wars boxes.

A little off topic but does anyone else think Richard E Grant would have made a perfect Admiral Thrawn? I think he could have pulled it off. Also kind've sad that there have been no Chiss in any of the Star Wars movies yet. I think they're the only race not to be featured in the movies.

2e18ce2e2ba306ea886966769f22b37b.jpg

150px-Richard_E_Grant_2014.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,116 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So, thoughts on this thing in no particular bullet point order, many of which have already been gone over in the thread I'm sure. Spoilers in here, and if you're of a nervous disposition, look away now. :pac:

• The Emperor's return is just awful. Not only is there no build up whatsoever, there's no real explanation provided just how this has happened. In fact, one of Dominic Monaghan's awful lines is "Somehow, the Emperor has returned...". We know he's had to return, of course, so I'll not rehash those criticisms here. But, even so it's handling is chronic. The audience is blown off with "It was me all along...(evil laugh)" and the fact that he has ten thousand (now planet killing) Star Destroyers (presumably crewed) is just laughable. We're also told that he's broadcast his return and that there's just 16 hours before kick off. Why?
    • The Emperor offers Kylo Ren this magic fleet. But why? He already has a massive fleet and the First Order "reigns" over the galaxy, according to 'The Last Jedi'.
    • Hux as a spy in the First Order, who's only motivation is to get one up on Kylo, is like a 6 year old's reasoning. But Domhnall Gleeson doesn't get much else to do here, except say his silly lines and cash his cheque.
    • Much of the film's first half is a series of insipid computer game fetch quests, first with Kylo in a confusing opening sequence and then with Rey and Co. flying hither and thither to get something that will either lead to another bit of plot stuff or another piece of expository dialogue to try and explain to the bedazzled audience what the hell is going on.
    • There are not one, but two fake out deaths. One involving Chewie and another (not quite physical death) involving C3PO. Chewie gets blown up in a transporter due to Rey and Kylo in a Force fight...ah no, he doesn't. Fooled ya! C3PO gets his memory wiped and a set of red eyes...ah no, he doesn't. Fooled ya! Just terrible. Actually, there's three, if we count Kylo's first death. :pac:
    • The Death Star somehow didn't get completely obliterated, as we saw in 'Return of the Jedi', but instead had enough pieces remain intact to land on Not-Endor. These pieces include a semi intact Imperial Throne Room and is the location of another macguffin that has to be found. All of this was completely unnecessary. The Death Star never needed to be a location in this movie and to have it so looks ridiculous.
    • Rey and Kylo's fight on the Death Star's remains ends with Leia, another Skywalker, dying from too much Force, doubling down on that stupid idea from 'The Last Jedi'. Not only that, it exercises an new absurd Force ability that can see Rey heal people of mortal wounds, adding yet another get-out-of-jail card to the stack.
    • In a wretched attempt to pull at the heart strings, Harrison Ford's contract obligations are invoked and he has to return one last time to the franchise he's hated since 1977 as, I don't know, a figment of Kylo Ren's imagination? This is to tell him that it's never too late to change. Even after you were complicit in the murder of trillions. Kylo, of course, thinks this is a good idea now and reverts to Ben Solo and sure it's all grand.
    • The Knights of Ren show up and are promptly dispatched.
    • He, somehow, makes it back over to Rey to help her kill Palpatine in a situation that puts the final nail in Luke Skywalker's coffin.
    • Reylo kiss, to appease the absolute worst section of any type of fandom...shippers. This is just ugh on so many levels. She likes a patricidal, psychopathic, mass murderer. I guess girls just love a bad boy. But she is too late, poor old Benny dies and we're all supposed to feel bad...somehow <- this is the word of the film.
    • Lando's return feels like a real dud, when it should have been great. But like all of the returns of the old crew, it just lands with a damp splat.
    • The final battle of the film, which is also the final battle of the, so called, "Skywalker Saga" is an immensely insignificant event that finalises the whole thing on a impotent whimper. Not only that, but Lando somehow manages to amass his own incredible fleet and in just a couple of hours too!
    • Rey's lineage is resolved in the worst way possible. She's Rey Palpatine. Someone thought that sleeping with a middle aged Palpatine somewhere between 'Revenge of the Sith' and 'Star Wars' was a good idea and eventually it produced Rey. Thanks for that Disney. :(

I can only echo the over all conclusions that most people have and repeat that 'The Rise of Skywalker' is an absolute mess of a film. But, not only that, it's a mess that does nothing at all to benefit the Star Wars story in any way, because it just negates much of 'The Last Jedi', which did enough already to negate much of 'The Force Awakens'. This has been the central tragedy of these sequel films, because there is zero throughput throughout the three movies. Nothing makes a lick of sense, because the film makers are at odds with one another and trying to "fix" what came before, which has proven to be completely detrimental to the whole trilogy and the entire series.

'The Rise of Skywalker' is really just a series of flashy plot points that are interspersed with silly exposition. Visually, it races along at a thousand miles and hour, never letting the audience stop and realise how nonsensical it all is. It must do that, because the facade falls apart like a house of cards if you do stop and think on it for even a moment. So in that respect, it remains faithful the trilogy in many ways, which were not so much films with a sensible narrative, but a series of products to sell an IP.

The film also has so many unearned moments that are supposed to have impact, but they never land with any weight at all. Maz Kanata saying "Goodbye Princess" feels sickly, it doesn't sound right. C3PO saying he wants to look at his friends one last time sounds just off as these people either don't care about him all that much, or just outright dislike him. Kylo's turn back the "light side" is thoroughly unconvincing and Rey's familial connections are a joke.

So, at the end, we're left with a truly disappointing trio of movies that are entirely worthless to the over all story that they are now part of and we're back where we left off in 'Return of the Jedi', which ultimately means that the sequel trilogy was all just a poor retread of the original trilogy. But in doing that retread, it wiped out everything that the original characters achieved.

If there is anything good to take from these sequels, though, is that it provides a series of "what not to do's" for Disney to review in future Star Wars projects. Whether they pay attention to them or not remains to be seen.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    A little off topic but does anyone else think Richard E Grant would have made a perfect Admiral Thrawn? I think he could have pulled it off. Also kind've sad that there have been no Chiss in any of the Star Wars movies yet. I think they're the only race not to be featured in the movies.

No. He always comes off as a bit campy and mincey to me.

However, I think Benedict Cumberbatch would be decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,888 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Tony EH wrote: »
    So, thoughts on this thing in no particular bullet point order, many of which have already been gone over in the thread I'm sure. Spoilers in here, and if you're of a nervous disposition, look away now. :pac:

• The Emperor's return is just awful. Not only is there no build up whatsoever, there's no real explanation provided just how this has happened. In fact, one of Dominic Monaghan's awful lines is "Somehow, the Emperor has returned...". We know he's had to return, of course, so I'll not rehash those criticisms here. But, even so it's handling is chronic. The audience is blown off with "It was me all along...(evil laugh)" and the fact that he has ten thousand (now planet killing) Star Destroyers (presumably crewed) is just laughable. We're also told that he's broadcast his return and that there's just 16 hours before kick off. Why?
    • The Emperor offers Kylo Ren this magic fleet. But why? He already has a massive fleet and the First Order "reigns" over the galaxy, according to 'The Last Jedi'.
    • Hux as a spy in the First Order, who's only motivation is to get one up on Kylo, is like a 6 year old's reasoning. But Domhnall Gleeson doesn't get much else to do here, except say his silly lines and cash his cheque.
    • Much of the film's first half is a series of insipid computer game fetch quests, first with Kylo in a confusing opening sequence and then with Rey and Co. flying hither and thither to get something that will either lead to another bit of plot stuff or another piece of expository dialogue to try and explain to the bedazzled audience what the hell is going on.
    • There are not one, but two fake out deaths. One involving Chewie and another (not quite physical death) involving C3PO. Chewie gets blown up in a transporter due to Rey and Kylo in a Force fight...ah no, he doesn't. Fooled ya! C3PO gets his memory wiped and a set of red eyes...ah no, he doesn't. Fooled ya! Just terrible. Actually, there's three, if we count Kylo's first death. :pac:
    • The Death Star somehow didn't get completely obliterated, as we saw in 'Return of the Jedi', but instead had enough pieces remain intact to land on Not-Endor. These pieces include a semi intact Imperial Throne Room and is the location of another macguffin that has to be found. All of this was completely unnecessary. The Death Star never needed to be a location in this movie and to have it so looks ridiculous.
    • Rey and Kylo's fight on the Death Star's remains ends with Leia, another Skywalker, dying from too much Force, doubling down on that stupid idea from 'The Last Jedi'. Not only that, it exercises an new absurd Force ability that can see Rey heal people of mortal wounds, adding yet another get-out-of-jail card to the stack.
    • In a wretched attempt to pull at the heart strings, Harrison Ford's contract obligations are invoked and he has to return one last time to the franchise he's hated since 1977 as, I don't know, a figment of Kylo Ren's imagination? This is to tell him that it's never too late to change. Even after you were complicit in the murder of trillions. Kylo, of course, thinks this is a good idea now and reverts to Ben Solo and sure it's all grand.
    • The Knights of Ren show up and are promptly dispatched.
    • He, somehow, makes it back over to Rey to help her kill Palpatine in a situation that puts the final nail in Luke Skywalker's coffin.
    • Reylo kiss, to appease the absolute worst section of any type of fandom...shippers. This is just ugh on so many levels. She likes a patricidal, psychopathic, mass murderer. I guess girls just love a bad boy. But she is too late, poor old Benny dies and we're all supposed to feel bad...somehow <- this is the word of the film.
    • Lando's return feels like a real dud, when it should have been great. But like all of the returns of the old crew, it just lands with a damp splat.
    • The final battle of the film, which is also the final battle of the, so called, "Skywalker Saga" is an immensely insignificant event that finalises the whole thing on a impotent whimper. Not only that, but Lando somehow manages to amass his own incredible fleet and in just a couple of hours too!
    • Rey's lineage is resolved in the worst way possible. She's Rey Palpatine. Someone thought that sleeping with a middle aged Palpatine somewhere between 'Revenge of the Sith' and 'Star Wars' was a good idea and eventually it produced Rey. Thanks for that Disney. :(

I can only echo the over all conclusions that most people have and repeat that 'The Rise of Skywalker' is an absolute mess of a film. But, not only that, it's a mess that does nothing at all to benefit the Star Wars story in any way, because it just negates much of 'The Last Jedi', which did enough already to negate much of 'The Force Awakens'. This has been the central tragedy of these sequel films, because there is zero throughput throughout the three movies. Nothing makes a lick of sense, because the film makers are at odds with one another and trying to "fix" what came before, which has proven to be completely detrimental to the whole trilogy and the entire series.

'The Rise of Skywalker' is really just a series of flashy plot points that are interspersed with silly exposition. Visually, it races along at a thousand miles and hour, never letting the audience stop and realise how nonsensical it all is. It must do that, because the facade falls apart like a house of cards if you do stop and think on it for even a moment. So in that respect, it remains faithful the trilogy in many ways, which were not so much films with a sensible narrative, but a series of products to sell an IP.

The film also has so many unearned moments that are supposed to have impact, but they never land with any weight at all. Maz Kanata saying "Goodbye Princess" feels sickly, it doesn't sound right. C3PO saying he wants to look at his friends one last time sounds just off as these people either don't care about him all that much, or just outright dislike him. Kylo's turn back the "light side" is thoroughly unconvincing and Rey's familial connections are a joke.

So, at the end, we're left with a truly disappointing trio of movies that are entirely worthless to the over all story that they are now part of and we're back where we left off in 'Return of the Jedi', which ultimately means that the sequel trilogy was all just a poor retread of the original trilogy. But in doing that retread, it wiped out everything that the original characters achieved.

If there is anything good to take from these sequels, though, is that it provides a series of "what not to do's" for Disney to review in future Star Wars projects. Whether they pay attention to them or not remains to be seen.

good summary of a lot of the plot holes.

It is worth bearing in mind that the original Star Wars was heavily influenced by old movie serials like Flash Gordon. In that context constantly bringing back the same heroes and villains, and having dramatic but implausible twists is standard practise. The opening crawl dropping us immediately into the Emperor's return is straight out of that episodic serial structure.

Empire (and to a lesser extent ROTJ) moved on from that into a more mythic style of story telling, and consequently raised people's expectations for subsequent movies. This new trilogy has tried to have it both ways - pulpy melodrama, alongside mythic world-building and it hasn't really succeeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

One of JJ’s mystery boxes but apparently it was supposed to be that he’s force sensitive.

Is that like being gluten intolerant, compared to Rey who has a straight up wheat allergy?

What a stupid "big secret". Given they never circle back to it, it's just another pointless, annoying mystery box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

We all know that some events in Star Wars seem fairly improbable. Wasn't there some site that calculated exactly what would be involved in making an actual Death Star? The resources required were almost logically impossible to produce. So why can't that extend to a load of Star Destroyers? Maybe they were old ones from the remains of the Empire, and could've been skeleton crewed.
    [*]The Emperor offers Kylo Ren this magic fleet. But why? He already has a massive fleet and the First Order "reigns" over the galaxy, according to 'The Last Jedi'.

Who wouldn't want more ships?
    [*]Hux as a spy in the First Order, who's only motivation is to get one up on Kylo, is like a 6 year old's reasoning. But Domhnall Gleeson doesn't get much else to do here, except say his silly lines and cash his cheque.

But Hux was always like a petulant child, from his first appearance. He was knocked back enough times by Kylo to warrant this coming out as personal revenge. It was a shame he was dispatched so quickly though; would've been interesting if he had gone full-Rebellion, and even brought some ships with him at the final battle.
    [*]Much of the film's first half is a series of insipid computer game fetch quests, first with Kylo in a confusing opening sequence and then with Rey and Co. flying hither and thither to get something that will either lead to another bit of plot stuff or another piece of expository dialogue to try and explain to the bedazzled audience what the hell is going on.

There was nothing confusing about the opening sequence, and at no point did I not know what was going on. I was with my 10 year old and he also knew what was going on at all times.
    [*]The Death Star somehow didn't get completely obliterated, as we saw in 'Return of the Jedi', but instead had enough pieces remain intact to land on Not-Endor. These pieces include a semi intact Imperial Throne Room and is the location of another macguffin that has to be found. All of this was completely unnecessary. The Death Star never needed to be a location in this movie and to have it so looks ridiculous.

The Death Star was big. Moon sized big. So it's not unlikely that chunks of it would be floating around space and landing on planets. Think about it, the throne room would've been tiny in relation to the whole structure.
    [*]In a wretched attempt to pull at the heart strings, Harrison Ford's contract obligations are invoked and he has to return one last time to the franchise he's hated since 1977 as, I don't know, a figment of Kylo Ren's imagination? This is to tell him that it's never too late to change. Even after you were complicit in the murder of trillions. Kylo, of course, thinks this is a good idea now and reverts to Ben Solo and sure it's all grand.

No different to Darth Vader returning to the light side, and we were all ok with that.
    [*]The Knights of Ren show up and are promptly dispatched.

No issue with that. They weren't Jedi / Sith so they'd be easily beaten by someone who was.
    [*]He, somehow, makes it back over to Rey to help her kill Palpatine in a situation that puts the final nail in Luke Skywalker's coffin.

I don't understand what that has to do with Luke or his coffin.
    [*]Reylo kiss, to appease the absolute worst section of any type of fandom...shippers. This is just ugh on so many levels. She likes a patricidal, psychopathic, mass murderer. I guess girls just love a bad boy. But she is too late, poor old Benny dies and we're all supposed to feel bad...somehow <- this is the word of the film.

The kiss was fine. All along, especially in TLJ, he was conflicted. She was conflicted. They were conflicted about each other's feelings for each other and what that meant for them and their "cause". Plus they were connected by the Force. So the kiss was just an impulse from both of them when it became clear there was no more conflict. It's not like they started riding or anything... :)
    [*]Lando's return feels like a real dud, when it should have been great. But like all of the returns of the old crew, it just lands with a damp splat.

I don't necessarily disagree with this; like the others from the OT he was just too old to do anything of significance. Really, they should've made these movies in the late 90s...
    [*]The final battle of the film, which is also the final battle of the, so called, "Skywalker Saga" is an immensely insignificant event that finalises the whole thing on a impotent whimper. Not only that, but Lando somehow manages to amass his own incredible fleet and in just a couple of hours too!

They'd put the call out earlier in the film and these are the ships that responded. The same thing happened at the climax of Dunkirk!
    [*]Rey's lineage is resolved in the worst way possible. She's Rey Palpatine. Someone thought that sleeping with a middle aged Palpatine somewhere between 'Revenge of the Sith' and 'Star Wars' was a good idea and eventually it produced Rey. Thanks for that Disney. :(

You can't expect a sleazy, corrupt politician to not have some action on the side. Or a Sith master - he could've had a harem of slave women to choose from! But there's other ways to sire children beyond having sex with women - he could've used a Star Wars version of IVF!

Bacchus wrote: »
    Is that like being gluten intolerant, compared to Rey who has a straight up wheat allergy?

What a stupid "big secret". Given they never circle back to it, it's just another pointless, annoying mystery box.

If you ever get to see circled back to, it won't be in film form. I doubt Boyega will be anywhere near Star Wars ever again.

Poor John, he was bloody terrible in this too. Just another Star Wars film for him to "woohoo" his way through and go running up to the camera shouting "Wayyyy" at the top of his voice. Even his big secret ended up on the cutting room floor.

"I have something to tell you"

"What?"

"Ah, nuthin, I'll tell you later..."

Have to say, though, John Boyega has been one of the worst things about the trilogy. His contemporary American black guy impression led, unfortunately, to a number of areas where he came perilously close to "Yo bitch" cliche. And the choice to make him the goofy comic relief killed any kind of future for his character. Nearly every time he opened his gob, I was taken out of the picture. I understand the "need" for the generic black guy accent, however, as I can't imagine his Peckham accent going over too well.

"Awright Gov, I was a bleedin stormtrooper for 20 years mate..."

Although, I think that he'll go on to have a fairly decent to middling career, if he plays his cards right.

Daisy Ridley I don't see doing as well, strangely enough. She'll, probably, be on some version of 'Poirot' in about five years time, or some stuffy English period drama, like 'Downton Abbey', if the Americans are still willing to buy such material.

Either way, I'd say both of them (and Oscar Isacc too) are delighted this junk is finally over.

Have to say, though, John Boyega has been one of the worst things about the trilogy. His contemporary American black guy impression led, unfortunately, to a number of areas where he came perilously close to "Yo bitch" cliche.

That's a fairly ridiculous comment.

And Daisy has already been in Kenneth Brannagh's movie version of Poirot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭fluke

That's a fairly ridiculous comment.

And Daisy has already been in Kenneth Brannagh's movie version of Poirot.

It's not that ridiculous to be fair. His role in this trilogy has went from endearing central character to token side character.

He's essentially the Tyrese Gibson of the trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Boyega was excellent in Detroit. I completely disagree with Tony's assessment.

El Duda wrote: »
    Boyega was excellent in Detroit. I completely disagree with Tony's assessment.

I agree. He was very good in 'Detroit'

But he wasn't in Star Wars.

It's largely down to the writing and the decision to make him the buffoon of the series.

TROS is close to hitting the billion mark - current WW total is $919.6 million, according too Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

TROS is close to hitting the billion mark - current WW total is $919.6 million, according too Wikipedia.

its tracking behind the other 2 movies though, so its kind of a meh ending to it all, I doubt Disney will be thrilled.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    so its kind of a meh ending to it all, I doubt Disney will be thrilled.

Sums up how I felt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Just seen it for the 2nd time, enormously satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

If you ever get to see circled back to, it won't be in film form. I doubt Boyega will be anywhere near Star Wars ever again.

Poor John, he was bloody terrible in this too. Just another Star Wars film for him to "woohoo" his way through and go running up to the camera shouting "Wayyyy" at the top of his voice. Even his big secret ended up on the cutting room floor.

"I have something to tell you"

"What?"

"Ah, nuthin, I'll tell you later..."

Have to say, though, John Boyega has been one of the worst things about the trilogy. His contemporary American black guy impression led, unfortunately, to a number of areas where he came perilously close to "Yo bitch" cliche. And the choice to make him the goofy comic relief killed any kind of future for his character. Nearly every time he opened his gob, I was taken out of the picture. I understand the "need" for the generic black guy accent, however, as I can't imagine his Peckham accent going over too well.

"Awright Gov, I was a bleedin stormtrooper for 20 years mate..."

Although, I think that he'll go on to have a fairly decent to middling career, if he plays his cards right.

There were so many good directions they could have gone with him over the course of the trilogy. The favourite I heard mentioned was him trying to turn more stormtroopers away from the New Order. They could have gotten rid of the whole terrible casino quest in TLJ by having them getting captured and him talking a group into helping them get on board the main ship and taking down the tracker.

In TROS they briefly touched on more stormtrooper defections but it made even less sense that Finn never makes any effort to do more, instead just seems to enjoy killing his old colleagues.

There were so many good directions they could have gone with him over the course of the trilogy. The favourite I heard mentioned was him trying to turn more stormtroopers away from the New Order. They could have gotten rid of the whole terrible casino quest in TLJ by having them getting captured and him talking a group into helping them get on board the main ship and taking down the tracker.

In TROS they briefly touched on more stormtrooper defections but it made even less sense that Finn never makes any effort to do more, instead just seems to enjoy killing his old colleagues.

That is exactly what I thought they were going to do with Finn.

He was on the inside and knew that most, if not all of his fellow soldiers had been stolen as babies. And no matter the atrocities committed by them he knew it was not their true will.

At the very least he should be conflicted about doing them harm but he actually takes pleasure in killing them.

He was not alone though. Poe is just worthless. So pointless that they didn’t even bother to give him an original backstory, just gave him the exact same criminal Carrie as Han Solo and he was already a very poor imitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I felt that was tacked on, to avoid sympathy for all that were killed. Since 'the good ones' had all defected just like they did... and the ones willing to kill people were now fair game.

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    its tracking behind the other 2 movies though, so its kind of a meh ending to it all, I doubt Disney will be thrilled.

I don’t pay much heed to box office beyond the a general interest what breaks a what record for trivia purposes because the money is not mine ;)

However I had assumed it was going to make more than Endgame or at least match it. When I read it was trailing the others I also thought Disney and the shareholders would be freaking out but apparently the fact that any of them got to a billion was a surprise to Disney and they had been telling the shareholders since the beginning that to rein in any crazy billion expectations.

Advertisement