Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Como Una Cabra

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nope, but I could be tempted to give it a lash in a few weeks. I'd be interested to see what I could manage. He's flying it!

Who’s faster.

My moneys on Phisto :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

Who’s faster.

My moneys on Phisto :)

TbL

Your money's safe.

Your money's safe.

Jazus, that was too easy, what’s your excuse, you got the brains in the family? :)

TbL

Jazus, that was too easy, what’s your excuse, you got the brains in the family? :)

TbL

I'll let him answer that :) I keep getting faster each year, and the ****er does the same

Friday 19th – Mostly grass run Fairview Park – Coast – St. Anne’s

Distance – 13.km
    Average pace: 5:06/km

S&C – Leg routine

Saturday 20th – Trail run in the dunes and St. Anne’s

Distance – 14.5km
    Average pace: 5:04/km

Sunday 21st– Lumpy long-run taking in Glasnevin, some of the Royal Canal, and Fairview park

I was tired from the start today as a fairly tough week of training came to an end. Two fairly hard sessions and the largest weekly distance I’ve ever covered all contributed to this. Having said that, the second half of this run was faster than the first. Four more weeks of this plan and I’ll try to lash out a TT over the half-distance so I’m looking forward to a mini-taper before that.

Distance – 26.5km
    Average pace: 4:35/km

Total Weekly Distance – 113km

Monday 22nd March – The Dunes with MacPhisto.

Distance – 13.5km
    Average pace: 5:05/km

S&C – Isometrix

Tuesday 23rd March – Easy

The intention today was 3x2 miles but after 2 terrible sleeps, I decided to push the session back a day. Felt like a zombie as I ran to Fairview, back along the coast and through St. Anne’s. About 8k in, I glanced at my watch, clipped a root and down I went. The good news is that my reactions were sharp and my hands broke the fall, leaving me with only a slightly bruised ego. This is not my first fall, so I knew to expertly bounce up and bound away without even checking to see if anyone had witnessed it. Legend!

Distance – 13km
    Average pace: 5:14/km

Wednesday 24th - Session – 3x2Miles with 800m recovery

I did this same session a few weeks back and it felt a lot, much, somewhat, a fraction easier this time. It was still bloody hard but slightly less bloody hard all the same. Headed in the right direction!

Rep 1: 12:00 @3:45/km
    Rep 2: 11:56 @3:44/km
    Rep 3: 11:57 @3:44/km

Total Distance – 19.5km

Thursday 25th – 5k recovery @ 5:10/km

S&C – The challenge (10/15) and 100 core

Friday 26th – Session – 11.2km@Tempo

This was the second of three 11.2km Tempo runs on the current plan. At around 9k in, I felt strong and decided to push it out to 12k. Good that I was able for this, but I guess I’ll feel obliged to do at least 12 again next week.

Distance – 19.5km
    Tempo: 12km @ 3:52/km average

S&C – Leg routine

Saturday 27th – Easy run into town and back

Distance – 14km
    Average pace: 4:55km

Sunday 28th – Long run 22km @ 4:41/km

A shorter effort this week on a similar route to last Sunday. Felt very handy overall.

Distance – 22km
    Average pace: 4:41/km

S&C – Yoga

Total Weekly Distance – 107km

Thoughts for next week:
    Keep the consistency going. There are only a few weeks left on the plan and then it’ll be time for a TT over the half distance. I’ll be interested to see how that goes given the higher mileage I’ve been putting in. Also, having watched a video from Luke Humphrey on strides this week, I think it’s time to re-introduce these to my training.

Monday 29th March – Easy 13km

Average pace: 5:08/km

S&C – The Challenge and core

Tuesday 30th March – Easy 13km

Average pace: 5:10/km

Wednesday 31st - Session – 4x2,400 with 600m recovery

I decided on a change of scenery for this one and started the first rep in Clontarf. After about 1km running along the coast during the first rep, I had a change of heart. I was constantly avoiding walkers, runners and dogs, and felt that it just wasn’t fair to be running past people at pace, so I cut up through St. Anne’s for the second rep. Soon, I was back on the familiar territory of my usual loop, and managed to see out the session at a steady pace.

Rep 1: 08:58 @3:44/km
    Rep 2: 08:59 @3:45/km
    Rep 3: 08:57 @3:44/km
    Rep 4: 08:58 @3:44/km

Total Distance – 19.5km

Thursday 1st April – 5.5k recovery

Average pace: 5:15/km

Friday 2nd – Session – 12km@Tempo

As predicted, I didn’t fancy jumping back down to 11.2@tempo after knocking out 12 last week. I was joined by MacPhisto for 7 and a bit laps of the usual mile route. I was definitely tiring as we got to the end, but the effort definitely felt easier with company.

Tempo: 12km @ 3:51/km average
    Distance – 20.5km

S&C – Legs and core

• Advertisement

Saturday 3rd – Easy

St. Anne’s and the dunes

Distance – 14.5km
    Average pace: 4:53km

Sunday 4th – Long (ish) run

A change of scenery today, as I headed out towards the Pigeon House before getting lost. Then headed along the coast, cutting up towards Herbert Park, where I did 2 laps, before heading for home. Sped up for the last 2 or 3 kms.

Distance – 21.5km
    Average pace: 4:48km

S&C – Isometrix and core

Saturday 3rd – Easy

St. Anne’s and the dunes

Distance – 14.5km
    Average pace: 4:53km

Sunday 4th – Long (ish) run

A change of scenery today, as I headed out towards the Pigeon House before getting lost. Then headed along the coast, cutting up towards Herbert Park, where I did 2 laps, before heading for home. Sped up for the last 2 or 3 kms.

Distance – 21.5km
    Average pace: 4:48km

S&C – Isometrix and core

What’s Isometrix??

I’ve tried dominatrix but pulled a muscle and it wasn’t for me...:)

TbL

Itziger told me you were whipped, but I thought he meant something else ;)

It's a strength routine from a fitness program called P90x3. 30 mins of various balance poses. I try to do this and another 30 minute yoga routine once a week.

Itziger told me you were whipped, but I thought he meant something else ;)

It's a strength routine from a fitness program called P90x3. 30 mins of various balance poses. I try to do this and another 30 minute yoga routine once a week.

Thanks, but don’t mind that auld tax exile :)

Have you a link to any (non X rated) videos?

TbL

Have you a link to any (non X rated) videos?

TbL

I'm not sure where you'd get it online. I have them on DVDs.

Monday 5th April – Easy 10km

Into a mini-taper period ahead of the half TT now, so 10k felt handy as opposed to the usual 13 or 14.

Tuesday 6th April – Easy 10km

S&C – Yoga

Wednesday 7th April - Session – 6x1,600 with 400m recovery

Felt strong for all of these reps, and was getting fierce confident. Then, later in the evening I developed a pain at the front of my left shin. Limping around, I was worrying that the heavy mileage was beginning to catch up on me.

Rep 1: 05:57 @3:43/km
    Rep 2: 05:57 @3:43/km
    Rep 3: 05:57 @3:43/km
    Rep 4: 05:57 @3:43/km
    Rep 5: 05:57 @3:43/km
    Rep 6: 05:54 @3:41/km

Total Distance – 17km

Thursday 8th April – 5k recovery

With the shin feeling a lot better, I decided to go out and jog these few recovery kms, and to bail out if necessary. I needn’t have worried. All good.

Average pace: 5:18/km

S&C – The Challenge

Friday 9th April – Session – 8km@Tempo

Found this about equally as tough as running 12km at the same pace a week ago. I got through it all the same, and there were no issues with the shin.

Distance – 16km
    Tempo: 8km @ 3:51/km average

S&C – Legs

Saturday 10th April – Easy

St. Anne’s

Distance – 11.2km
    Average pace: 5:08/km

Sunday 11th April – Easy

St. Anne’s – Dunes – St. Anne’s

Distance – 17km
    Average pace: 5:07/km

S&C – Yoga and core

Total Weekly Distance – 87km

Thoughts for next week:
    I’m into the final week of this training plan now so the mileage is coming down. The sore leg during the week feels like a bit of a warning, so I think I’ll probably adjust my plans slightly. I had initially planned to run a half TT next weekend. It might still happen, but I’m not against delaying it by two weeks, with one eye on the boards 5k TT the previous weekend. I guess that it’s one advantage of not having fixed race dates that you can adjust your plans if necessary.

• Advertisement

Monday 12th April – Easy 11km

Tuesday 13th April – Easy 10km

Wednesday 14th April - Session – 6x1,600 with 400m recovery

I finally decided on a repeat of last week’s sessions, hoping that they’ll leave me reasonably rested heading into the 5k TT next week. It was quite breezy on parts of the loop so I was happy to keep a fairly steady pace. My goal time for the TT requires me to knock about 16 seconds/km off the pace of these reps. This makes me want to cry! At least I’ll only have to do 3 (and a bit) laps.

Rep 1: 05:59 @3:44/km
    Rep 2: 05:57 @3:43/km
    Rep 3: 05:54 @3:41/km
    Rep 4: 05:56 @3:43/km
    Rep 5: 05:57 @3:43/km
    Rep 6: 05:55 @3:42/km

Total Distance – 17km

S&C – Isometrix and Core

Thursday 15th April – 5k recovery

S&C – Yoga

Friday 16th April – Session – 8km@Tempo

This was definitely easier than last week. Just got out there and got it done. I’m feeling fit.

Distance – 16km

Tempo: 8km @ 3:50/km average

S&C – Legs

Saturday 17th April – Easy

Dunes and St. Anne’s

Distance – 14km
    Average pace: 5:00/km

S&C – The Challenge

Sunday 18th April – Long Run

Poolbeg lighthouse and back.

Distance – 21km
    Average pace: 4:51/km

S&C – Yoga

Total Weekly Distance – 94.8km

Monday 19th April – Easy 10.5km

Average pace: 5:02/km

Tuesday 20th April – 3x1,200@10k, 3x600@5k, 400m recovery between all

It had been too long so I took this session out to Malahide. I also wanted to use the “cheat boots” for it, as I’ll be wearing them for the TT this weekend, and I wanted to get a feel for the pace in them again. The session went well enough but, again, I can’t imagine maintaining that 5k pace for any length of time. The 10k pace reps were too fast, and the 5k ones were slightly too slow. I’m sure there’s something to learn there.

Rep 1: 04:18 @3:35/km
    Rep 2: 04:18 @3:35/km
    Rep 3: 04:18 @3:35/km

Rep 4: 02:06 @3:30/km
    Rep 5: 02:06 @3:30/km
    Rep 6: 02:03 @3:25/km

S&C – Legs & core

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Just a quick one on todays session, I'm reading the first set at as 3 one mile reps (1600m) in 4:18, is that correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Just a quick on on todays session, I'm reading the first set at as 3 one mile reps (1600m) in 4:18, is that correct?

1,200s I'd guess.

1,200s I'd guess.

That makes more sense!

• Advertisement

Just a quick one on todays session, I'm reading the first set at as 3 one mile reps (1600m) in 4:18, is that correct?

Good spot. Definitely only 1,200 :D

Wednesday 21st April - Easy

Distance – 5km
    Average Pace – 05:09/km

S&C – The Challenge

Thursday 22nd April – Easy

Distance – 10.5km

Friday 23rd April – Easy

Distance – 9km
    Average Pace – 05:03/km

S&C – Isometrix

I'm actually a little bit on edge ahead of this TT tomorrow. I've been missing the auld races, and while these efforts are seriously diminished by not having people around you, they feel like the next best thing. I haven't been training specifically for 5kms, aiming instead for a half effort next week. The question is whether almost 4 months of solid training will buy me a few extra seconds. My last TT was 17:17 on the first of January.

Race strategy is to run around 3:30/km for the first 3, convince myself to keep going for the next k, and see what's left for the last. As per usual, I'll try to get as close to puking as humanly possible, without actually puking. I will then spend at least 5 minutes cursing the 5k distance and convincing myself that the half will be easier next week. I will have forgotten all the pain 5 minutes after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭healy1835

If the HM is the main aim then tomorrow is bit of a free roll. You're flying in training and there's enough speed in some of those sessions for you to go well tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing your HM time (and tomorrow as well ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

[
    Race strategy is to run around 3:30/km for the first 3, convince myself to keep going for the next k, and see what's left for the last. As per usual, I'll try to get as close to puking as humanly possible, without actually puking. I will then spend at least 5 minutes cursing the 5k distance and convincing myself that the half will be easier next week. I will have forgotten all the pain 5 minutes after that.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about 5k....:D

Saturday 24th April – 5k TT

An unusual experience here as I never really felt like giving up or slowing down. I was still praying for it to be over, but I never considered (intentionally) dropping the pace. I must say, though, that I really didn’t feel like I could have sped up any more than I did for the last km so I’m not overly disappointed to be 1 second behind my fastest time with this 17:18 effort. As well as that, My last official 5k was a 17:57, and I spent 2 years trying to burst through the 18 mins mark, so I'm really not in a position to complain.

Km 1: 3:26
    Km 2: 3:29
    Km 3: 3:30
    Km 4: 3:31
    Km 5: 3:22

Total distance – 16km

S&C – Legs

Sunday 25th April – Long Run (1,000 miles for the year)

Griffith Avenue-Griffith Park-Glasnevin-Canal-East Wall-Clontarf

Nice easy effort with MacPhisto to try and get the legs going again. The canal between Phibsborough to Drumcondra was an absolute disgrace, with cans, bottles, and general ****e strewn all over the place. Fair play to the people who were there cleaning it up, but they really shouldn’t have to. What’s wrong with people?

Distance – 18km

Average pace: 4:52/km

S&C – Yoga and core

Total Weekly Distance – 83.5

Thoughts for next week:

Time to start considering a strategy for the half TT next week. I went out slowly in Seville and motored home. That felt good, but can I do that when I don’t have people around me to overtake? I suppose I'll find out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3044084861

Just looking at your half marathon in Seville, is the heart rate stats for that correct?

I don't think I've ever seen such a low heart rate for such a fast pace.

Just looking at your half marathon in Seville, is the heart rate stats for that correct?

He’s a heartless bastid is auld Diablo :)

TbL

Definitely not right. I'd say the readings were off the wrist sensor on my garmin which is always all over the place. I'd expect my HR to be in the low 180s for that kind of effort. I'm close to 200 at max.

He’s a heartless bastid is auld Diablo :)

TbL

I wish you were the first to say it :D Fair play on that TT. The roads aren't flat around those parts.

I wish you were the first to say it :D Fair play on that TT. The roads aren't flat around those parts.

Thanks.

Well done yourself, great time, maybe a bit slower than Phisto but at least you got the looks in the family :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Definitely not right. I'd say the readings were off the wrist sensor on my garmin which is always all over the place. I'd expect my HR to be in the low 180s for that kind of effort. I'm close to 200 at max.

Thanks, doesn't make me feel so bad.

Monday 26th April Easy

Distance – 10km
    Average pace: 4:58/km

S&C – The Challenge

Tuesday 27th April – 2x2k@MP with 1km recovery

I headed down to St. Anne’s to do these on the parkrun course. They felt physically fine, but I have to admit that psychologically I was beginning to doubt my capacity to (a) keep this kind of pace up for 42.2kms at any stage, and (b) run 10 seconds/km quicker for the half at the weekend. This definitely feels like a real taper.

Rep 1: 08:00 @4:00/km
    Rep 2: 08:04 @4:02/km

Wednesday 28th April Easy

Distance – 5.5km
    Average Pace – 5:09/km

Thursday 29th April Easy

Distance – 11km
    Average Pace – 5:17/km

S&C – Yoga

Friday 30th April Easy

Distance – 8.5km
    Average Pace – 5:12/km

Saturday 1st May – Half TT in the Phoenix Park

PB – 1:20:05

https://www.strava.com/activities/5221626004

I really didn’t know what to expect from this. I’ve had a good 16 months training since my last half, but I wondered how much of the fitness gains would translate to in terms of time. I was wearing the same magic shoes on both days so I was looking forward to being able to compare like with like. In Seville, I had gone out at a fairly casual pace and sped up in the second half, especially in the final 5kms. I wanted to try to run a more steady effort here.

With that in mind, I set out to run the first three laps of this 3.5 lap course at around my PB pace, and then to allow myself to speed up. And that’s how it happened. This was a controlled effort until 16km, with my body trying to speed up, but my head keeping a lid on things. I was determined to make sure that I had something to show for all of my training and, as such, the brakes were slightly on until I felt confident that I was going to make it. I didn’t let rip for the last 5k but I just let my body do what it had wanted to do earlier, and that was to speed up to 03:45/km pace.

I was tired when I pressed the button on the watch but not exhausted. I think that on an actual raceday, I’d have more in the tank and finish faster. I also think that now that I’ve banked my reward for this block of training, I’ll be less conservative when I next race, and not as concerned about blowing up.

All in all, perfect conditions, solid training, and a cautious approach resulted in success. More than that, The Bitter Lemon has inspired me to start work on a Country & Western album, so I’ll have to get cracking on that.

Kms 1-5: 19:12 @3:50/km
    Kms 6-10: 19:06 @3:49/km
    Kms 11-15: 19:00 @3:48/km
    Kms 16-20: 18:45 @3:45/km
    Last 1.1km: 03:58 @3:36/km

Total distance – 21.1km

Sunday 2nd May – Recovery

Distance – 5.5km

Total Weekly Distance – 79.4

Thoughts for next week:

Run slowly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Saw this up on Strava. Some run and superbly executed with a fast last 5k! Great result for all the training, well done!

Great running.

You’ll just need a Stetson to complete the look...:)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Great running.

You’ll just need a Stetson to complete the look...:)

TbL

Screen_Shot_2020_04_09_at_1.19.21_PM.png

Monday 3rd May Easy

Distance – 11km

Tuesday 4th May – Easy

Distance – 11km

Wednesday 5th May Recovery

Distance – 5.5km
    Average Pace – 5:13/km

S&C – Yoga

Thursday 6th May Easy

Distance – 14km
    Average Pace – 5:05/km

Friday 7th May Easy

Distance – 11km
    Average Pace – 5:10/km

Saturday 8th May – Easy

Distance – 13km
    Average Pace – 5:15/km

Sunday 9th May – Easy

Distance – 21.5km
    Average pace: 5:02/km

Total Weekly Distance – 87.2

Thoughts for next week:
    The plan is to gently increase back to something closer to 100 km/week. The arm has been twisted into throwing 8 weeks at a 5k/10k-type training plan starting the following week, so hopefully the head and body will be in the right place for that by then. Also want to get the strength and conditioning going again over the next 7 days.

Monday 10th May Easy - Fairview and St. Anne’s parks

Distance – 13.5km

Tuesday 11th May Easy - Sand dunes and St. Anne’s

Distance – 14km
    Average pace: 5:10/km

S&C – The Challenge

Wednesday 12th May Easy

Distance – 6km
    Average Pace – 5:09/km

S&C – Yoga

Thursday 13th May Easy - Sand dunes and St. Anne’s

Distance – 14.5km
    Average Pace – 5:02/km

Friday 14th May Easy - Sand dunes and St. Anne’s

Distance – 14km
    Average Pace – 5:05/km

S&C – Legs and Core

Saturday 15th May – Long run to Hill of Howth and back

This was the first ‘non-easy’ run since the half TT, as well as the first time that I took on the Hill in a fair few months. I felt it. It probably wasn’t a good idea to do my leg routine the evening before this, but sure I’ll never learn. By the time we got back to St. Anne’s, I was really struggling and was grateful to be done. I was knackered for the rest of the day too so maybe I just wasn’t right.

Distance – 23km
    Average Pace – 4:44/km

Sunday 16th May Easy - Fairview park, eastpoint, along the Liffey and back by Alfie Byrne.

It took a while to get the legs going again after yesterday, but felt reasonably ok by the time I got home.

Distance – 10.5km
    Average pace: 4:51/km

S&C – Yoga

Total Weekly Distance – 95.9

Thoughts for next week:
    Back into a structured training plan after 2 weeks of easy running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That Saturday Howth group don’t hang about, do they? Not surprised it took a bit out of you.

Murph_D wrote: »
    That Saturday Howth group don’t hang about, do they? Not surprised it took a bit out of you.

It was actually just myself and the brother. He seemed a lot healthier by the end of it than I did :D

• Advertisement

It was actually just myself and the brother. He seemed a lot healthier by the end of it than I did :D

Jesus the amount of running ye do together ye must be closer than the Waltons :)

TbL

Monday 17th May Easy

Fairview and St. Anne’s parks recording the latest episode of the Waltons

Distance – 14km
    Average pace: 5:03/km

Tuesday 18th May – 16x400m – Clontarf to Baldoyle

This was my first session back after a few weeks of post-half relaxation. The legs were still feeling a bit battered during the warm-up after my jaunt up Howth the other day. The plan here was 5k-10k pace so I settled on anywhere between 03:28/km-03:38/km. I probably averaged at somewhere around 03:34 pace so happy enough with that. 400m felt like a fairly short distance for the reps, and the 400m recovery was plenty. Enjoyable overall, and got home just before the thunder struck!

Rep 1 – 1:25
    Rep 2 – 1:26
    Rep 3 – 1:26
    Rep 4 – 1:26
    Rep 5 – 1:26
    Rep 6 – 1:26
    Rep 7 – 1:26
    Rep 8 – 1:26
    Rep 9 – 1:27
    Rep 10 – 1:26
    Rep 11 – 1:25
    Rep 12 – 1:24
    Rep 13 – 1:24
    Rep 14 – 1:26
    Rep 15 – 1:26
    Rep 16 – 1:25

Total distance – 19km

Wednesday 19th May Recovery

The legs were completely battered at the start of this one, and slightly less battered by the end. It was a real shuffle job, and though sore at the time, I know that these stand to me when the Thursday sessions come around.

Distance – 5.5km
    Average Pace – 5:33/km

Thursday 20th May 6.4km @T

I have to admit that I thought of binning this one when I saw (heard) the weather this morning. In the end, I talked myself into doing it in the afternoon. I had been running these Tempo-type runs at around 3:52/km pace when I was training for the half TT, but I have settled on attempting these at 3:48/km for this training block. As per usual, the coast from Clontarf out to the causeway at Bull Island was a bit temperamental in terms of wind, but in the end, it wasn't too bad for the first 4, saving the worst for the last 2. Overall, a good effort, and it will be interesting to see how I go as the distance for these shifts up.

Total Distance – 19.5km
    Distance@T – 6.4km – 24:09@03:46/km

Friday 21st May Easy

Sand dunes and St. Anne’s

Distance – 14km
    Average Pace – 4:59/km

Saturday 22nd May – Easy

St. Anne’s and Sand dunes

Distance – 14km
    Average Pace – 5:02/km

Yesterday’s route, reversed, today.

Sunday 23rd May – Long Run

Docks – Sandymount – Merrion Gates – Ranelagh – Rathmines – Canal – Fairview – Alfie Byrne

I was supposed to be leaving the house to meet the brother at 7 this morning as I had limited time available. I woke up at 5 to 7. Not a great start. Then I rushed out of bed and realised I had washed ALL of my shorts last night and none were dry. Back to bed.

It would have been easy to not bother with the long run later in the evening, especially with the weather reports, so I’m pleased that I got it done. I headed out before 6, into a promise of heavy rain. I was feeling smug after 10k as I coasted towards Ballsbridge, still bone dry, but predictably enough, I got pissed on for the next 13k.

Distance – 22.5km
    Average pace: 4:52/km

Total Weekly Distance – 108

Monday 24th May Easy

Fairview and St. Anne’s parks

Distance – 13.5km
    Average pace: 5:15/km

Tuesday 25th May – 8x800m – Raheny Shamrocks Loop

Well this went surprisingly well. Last week’s 400 reps were around 3:34/km pace. Today’s 800s were closer to 3:30/km.

Rep 1 – 2:48
    Rep 2 – 2:48
    Rep 3 – 2:48
    Rep 4 – 2:48
    Rep 5 – 2:47
    Rep 6 – 2:48
    Rep 7 – 2:47
    Rep 8 – 2:49

Total distance – 20km

Wednesday 26th May Recovery

Distance – 5km
    Average Pace – 5:24/km

S&C – Yoga

Thursday 27th May 6 Mile progression

Headed out to Malahide and ran this on the first lap of the Malahide parkrun course. Hopefully it won’t be too long until we can do this for real. The run itself was tough for the last 2 miles but I got there in the end.

Mile 1: 06:48 – 4:15/km
    Mile 2: 06:39 – 4:09/km
    Mile 3: 06:30 – 4:04/km
    Mile 4: 06:19 – 3:57/km
    Mile 5: 06:08 – 3:50/km
    Mile 6: 05:55 – 3:42/km

Total Distance – 16km

Friday 28th May Easy

Fairview and St. Anne’s parks

Distance – 13.5km
    Average Pace – 5:14/km

S&C – The Challenge

Saturday 29th May – Easy
    St. Anne’s and Sand dunes
    Distance – 14km
    Average Pace – 5:11/km

S&C – Yoga

• Advertisement

Sunday 30th May – Cycle and Long Run

Cycle - I started the day off by getting back on the bike for the first time in ages. 60km spin out to Portrane and back. Cracking morning for it.

Run – I was interested to see how easy/difficult this would be after the cycle. I took a break of 5 or 6 hours, which I spent eating, and then headed out into the afternoon heat. I took it handy and felt fine until around 18km when the legs started giving out. Wouldn’t be put off by doing a “double” like this again, but I’d be inclined to keep the run pace on the easy side. Also, Herbert Park is probably best avoided on a sunny day.

Run Distance – 21.1km
    Average pace: 4:57/km

Total Weekly Distance – 103km

Monday 31st May Easy – St. Anne’s and the Dunes

Distance – 14km
    Average pace: 4:50/km

S&C – Isometrix

Tuesday 1st June – 1,600/1,200/1,000/800/400

This week’s Tuesday session called for reps as above, starting at 10k pace and moving up towards 5k pace for the last one. The first 2 were particularly hard , but I’ll forgive myself that as they were into a slight headwind, and it was fierce early in the morning. I had turned back by the time I started the 1,000 rep, and now had the advantage of the slight tailwind. Didn’t quite get up to 5k PB speed but happy enough.

Rep 1 - 1,600 @3:41/km
    Rep 2 - 1,200 @3:42/km
    Rep 3 - 1,000 @3:37/km
    Rep 4 - 800 @3:36/km
    Rep 5 - 400 @3:33/km

Total distance – 19.5km

S&C – Legs

Wednesday 2nd June Recovery

Distance – 5km
    Average Pace – 5:29/km

S&C – Yoga, The Challenge

Thursday 3rd June 8k@T

Back out to Malahide for 5 laps of the 1 mile loop at Tempo pace. The hill felt tougher each time around, and the legs (and lungs) were more or less spent by the fifth lap. Happy to get this one done, and there's nothing harder for the rest of this plan in terms of Tempo stuff.

Total Distance – 19km
    Distance @T – 8km – 30:17@03:47/km

Friday 4th June Easy

Clontarf and St. Anne’s park

Distance – 11km
    Average Pace – 5:10/km

Saturday 5th June – Long Run

Mainly trails alongside Clontarf, Bull Island and St. Anne’s.

Distance – 21.1km
    Average Pace – 5:19/km

Sunday 6th June – Recovery

Clontarf and St. Anne’s

Distance – 10.5km
    Average pace: 5:28/km

Total Weekly Distance – 101

Thoughts for next week:

Some of the easier stuff this week has felt like a bit of a slog, and the body is beginning to creak a little so I’m thinking of taking a rest day if that continues. I’ve run every day since December 31st so it’s been a decent streak. I’ll let the body dictate whether it happens or not. Back to the 2 mile race series this Tuesday so it will be great to pin on a number after so long.

Monday 7th June Rest

Recent runs had been less enjoyable so I decided to take a day off. Let’s see if it does the trick

S&C – The Challenge and Yoga

Tuesday 8th June – 2 Mile race

It felt great to be back doing a bit of racing. 2 miles isn’t exactly my favourite distance but just pinning on a number again felt right. This was a part of the club’s 2 mile series which was suspended last year. There was definitely a nervous energy on the startline that you don’t necessarily always get at these things. That excitement transferred to the race as we all flew off at a fairly hot pace. The race is run on the same 1 mile loop where I do a lot of my sessions, and I felt that stood to me. I think the cheat boots also stood to me as I ran 2 fairly solid kms before speeding up towards the end to take home an 8 seconds improvement on my best effort over the distance. I’ll take that.

2 mile time – 10:53
    Total distance – 14km

S&C – Isometrix

Wednesday 9th June Recovery

Distance – 10km
    Average Pace – 5:14/km

S&C – Yoga

Thursday 10th June Hangover pace

Total Distance – 11km
    Average Pace – 5:27/km

Friday 11th June Easy

Clontarf and St. Anne’s park

Distance – 13.5km
    Average Pace – 5:20/km

Saturday 12th June – 7 Mile Progression

Malahide Castle.

Mile 1 – 4:14/km
    Mile 2 – 4:09/km
    Mile 3 – 4:06/km
    Mile 4 – 4:00/km
    Mile 5 – 3:56/km
    Mile 6 – 3:51/km
    Mile 7 – 3:43/km

Total Distance – 17km

Sunday 13th June – Long Run

Phoenix Park and back along the canal.

Distance – 22km

Total Weekly Distance – 87

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭healy1835

'Hangover Pace' :D:D doesn't matter how slow the pace is as long as you get out the door...

Monday 14th June Rest

Tuesday 15th June – 2 Mile race

Took it a bit easier this week.

2 mile time – 11:24

Total distance – 14km

Wednesday 16th June Recovery

Distance – 10km
    Average Pace – 5:15/km

Thursday 17th June The Dunes and St. Anne’s

Total Distance – 14km
    Average Pace – 5:11/km

Friday 18th June 8k@Tempo

Malahide Park

These just don’t get any easier. 5 times around, 5 times up the hill.

8k- 30:30 @03:49/km average

Total Distance – 19.3km

Saturday 19th June – Easy

St. Anne’s and coast

Distance – 11km
    Average pace: 5:21/km

Sunday 20th June – Long Run

Malahide Road-Coolock-Bayside-St.Anne’s

Distance – 21.1km

Total Weekly Distance – 89

• Advertisement