Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter dynamo setup

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Apologies for hijacking this thread but I'm in the process of ordering a dynamo and light and it all very confusing.

Will this dynamo suit a standard 32 spoke road wheel with rim brakes:

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=24648;menu=1000,2,98;backlink=108%7C3%7C240%2C245%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C

...and will this light be compatible:

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=67824;menu=1400,1410,1411;backlink=108%7C3%7C240%2C245%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C

Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Will this dynamo suit a standard 32 spoke road wheel with rim brakes:

Hub has 32 holes, rim has 32 holes so yes it's compatible (let your wheelbuilder worry about spoke length)
    ...and will this light be compatible:

In almost all cases, everything is compatible since these have always been 6volt systems (so dynamo generates at 6 volts, and lights draw 6 volts - here's a very useful reference. )

Just so you're aware, those SON parts are the very top-of-the-range, so super nice/expensive. There are cheaper options that are still quite good - here's what I did with the next quality level down

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    Hub has 32 holes, rim has 32 holes so yes it's compatible (let your wheelbuilder worry about spoke length)

In almost all cases, everything is compatible since these have always been 6volt systems (so dynamo generates at 6 volts, and lights draw 6 volts - here's a very useful reference. )

Just so you're aware, those SON parts are the very top-of-the-range, so super nice/expensive. There are cheaper options that are still quite good - here's what I did with the next quality level down
    Thanks for that Mec-a-nic.

Do I need to worry about 'bolt circle' and 'flange distance' measurements whatever they mean? :o

My wheel/bike builder and cycling colleagues recommended SON for reliability and I'm happy to pay over the odds rather than replacing after a year or two. I tend to get my moneys worth from components. :)

Appreciate your input and please excuse my ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,289 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks for that Mec-a-nic.

Do I need to worry about 'bolt circle' and 'flange distance' measurements whatever they mean? :o

My wheel/bike builder and cycling colleagues recommended SON for reliability and I'm happy to pay over the odds rather than replacing after a year or two. I tend to get my moneys worth from components. :)

Appreciate your input and please excuse my ignorance.

Your rim will wear long before a shimnao or SON dynamo will go.

ted1 wrote: »
    Damn! That's a good point.

Presumably it's transferable?

...or is it back to the drawing board?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭JOHN_70

ted1 wrote: »

This is very true! I Have a Shimano DH-3N80 that is on its 3rd rim, approx 35,000km done and still going strong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

JOHN_70 wrote: »
    This is very true! I Have a Shimano DH-3N80 that is on its 3rd rim, approx 35,000km done and still going strong.

That's about a year of cycling for Wishbone Ash.

That said my DH-3N80 has been going solid for 2 years now. Have a Shutter Precision one now too that's been flawless, though I think will be expensive to service should the time come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

A hub is transferable, usually along with its spokes. I built a Mavic A719 rim onto a SON 28 dynamo in 2014 and replaced the rim in 2018 (commuter/audax wheel).

I'd suggest you get the disc brake version of the dynamo. It'll work fine with rim brakes but will be ready to move to your new disc-brake steed when that arrives...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    ....I'd suggest you get the disc brake version of the dynamo. It'll work fine with rim brakes but will be ready to move to your new disc-brake steed when that arrives...
    mmmmmm.......my wheel builder specifically asked me to ensure it's not a disc brake version! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,289 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It is but I guess it all depends on the price it costs to take off the price of rim and build a new wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

mmmmmm.......my wheel builder specifically asked me to ensure it's not a disc brake version! :confused:

If (s)he has already calculated spoke sizes it might have to be done again. You do end up with the flanges a bit closer together on the disc hub but I think it's worthwhile from a future-proofing perspective.

Advertisement