Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something nice in 500-1000€ range

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

So I'm going to go with something along the lines of a Longines Conquest and save for a Rolex / look for a good second hand one (so many fakes)

Is Montredo a reputable site to buy from?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Longines depreciate quite a bit, so I'd look secondhand. But Montredo does appear to be legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,787 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Eoin wrote: »
    Longines depreciate quite a bit

That seems to be a bit of a mantra on here about Longines watches - not always true

I bought a second hand almost new, as good as new Conquest GMT automatic for less than half of the RRP of €1600. Sold it for the same I paid for it. In that case the Longines depreciated quite a bit for the first owner(s)

But buy a Conquest automatic for €899 as linked above and it doesn't really have all that much to depreciate. It's a very good price for a watch that looks and feels a lot more expensive than it is...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yep, I am sure there are exceptions. Like you, I bought my 2 Longines in as-new condition for under 50% of the RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,787 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Some people are better than others in how much depreciation they suffer :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the helpful advice on this. In the end I went for two watches to cover all bases.

Hopefully this weekend I'm picking up a new Longines HydroConquest Automatic 39mm

I also have a Seiko Classic SRP705K1 on the way to me now (this admittedly was an impulse buy but I got it around half normal rrp at 140€)

I'm also going to get a Mondaine next time I'm in the US (much cheaper there for some reason) - and know I will end up with a Rolex. Might have been an expensive OP

(sorry images won't upload for some reason)

Instead of posting another "what watch next?" thread I decided to go back to my first one on this forum less than a year ago...

In that time I've listened to the advice on this thread (and forum more generally) and built up a bit of a collection including:
    Seiko Neo Classic Automatic
    Longines HydroConquest Chronograph Quartz
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko Presage Cocktail Time
    My original d'Alton
    Omega Genève 1969

I've gone a bit over the original budget I set here but not massively. A mix of new and second hand, shopping around and waiting for deals on sites like HotUKDeals.

Now I'm not sure where to go next. I was about to buy a Tag Heuer Carrera with blue face but it just wasn't wow in the end. Currently thinking of an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra but don't know.

I'll ship out the first Seiko (actually planning to swap this for a Longines Master Collection or similar) and probably won't keep the Longines HydroConquest either.

Any suggestions?

OmegaGene wrote: »
    which carrera was it you were looking at ?

Calibre 5 Day Date I think, blue face on bracelet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

An Omega Speedmaster would be one to buy and keep forever I generally think, now that your horizons (and budget) has expanded.

If you don't like the black face of the default dial there are white face "broad arrow" versions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Eoin wrote: »
    Longines depreciate quite a bit, so I'd look secondhand. But Montredo does appear to be legit.
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    Longines depreciate much less than other models in the same price range and are a better quality watch, the hydro conquest for example are making good money on the used market

Some conflicting information here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

For some reason if I feel if I wanted a watch in the "aqua terra" style I think I'd be looking at Ball first - something like this:

https://www.watchshop.com/mens-ball-trainmaster-roman-automatic-watch-nm1058d-s4j-gy-p99962466.html

or

https://bellmans.com/products/ball-watch-fireman-enterprise

Have no idea about residuals though - I imagine pretty much anything non-Rolex takes a hit. Another reason to buy 2nd hand :)

edit:
    or if those two dials are too plain what about this Ball moonphase - priced much cheaper than an Aqua Terra, has a beautiful dial and comes with a moonphase lit by tritium (Ball loves tritium over lume paint - it glows non-stop for 25-50 years):

Ball-Trainmaster-Moon-Phase-aBlogtoWatch-01.jpg

Ball-Trainmaster-Moon-Phase-aBlogtoWatch-16.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thirdfox wrote: »
    For some reason if I feel if I wanted a watch in the "aqua terra" style I think I'd be looking at Ball first - something like this:

https://www.watchshop.com/mens-ball-trainmaster-roman-automatic-watch-nm1058d-s4j-gy-p99962466.html

or

https://bellmans.com/products/ball-watch-fireman-enterprise

Have no idea about residuals though - I imagine pretty much anything non-Rolex takes a hit. Another reason to buy 2nd hand :)

edit:
    or if those two dials are too plain what about this Ball moonphase - priced much cheaper than an Aqua Terra, has a beautiful dial and comes with a moonphase lit by tritium (Ball loves tritium over lume paint - it glows non-stop for 25-50 years):

Ball-Trainmaster-Moon-Phase-aBlogtoWatch-01.jpg

Ball-Trainmaster-Moon-Phase-aBlogtoWatch-16.jpg
    How about a Sinn 556?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭893bet

There is a grey face aqua terra from 2013 on TZ for 1900gbp.

It may go lower. Seems like good value if the blue face is commanding 2500+.

Advertisement