Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contraception dilema

Options
  • 23-07-2018 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I'm in my 20's and have never used any form of contraception other than condoms. I have been with my partner for almost 3 years now and so far I've never had to get any emergency contraception with him. We rarely use condoms and rely on the pull-out method.

My main reasons for not wanting to use any pill/bar/coil etc is down to not wanting the extra hormones in my body and end up with clots, depression or the various other complaints I've heard from others.

Many have suggested if I haven't used any by now to not start, but the more time goes on I'm afraid I could end up pregnant. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CopperLady

Chris252 wrote: »
    I'm in my 20's and have never used any form of contraception other than condoms. I have been with my partner for almost 3 years now and so far I've never had to get any emergency contraception with him. We rarely use condoms and rely on the pull-out method.

My main reasons for not wanting to use any pill/bar/coil etc is down to not wanting the extra hormones in my body and end up with clots, depression or the various other complaints I've heard from others.

Many have suggested if I haven't used any by now to not start, but the more time goes on I'm afraid I could end up pregnant. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Have a look into the copper coil, it has no hormones and is very effective. I too didn't want to use hormones but I wanted something long-term and reliable so I went straight for that over the pill, etc. Have mine for two years now, highly recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Chris252

CopperLady wrote: »
    Have a look into the copper coil, it has no hormones and is very effective. I too didn't want to use hormones but I wanted something long-term and reliable so I went straight for that over the pill, etc. Have mine for two years now, highly recommend it!

I'm already experiencing some heavier periods in the last few months and a lot more light headed/dizzy and cramping in abdomen and legs... so I just worry that this could be made worse by the coil from things I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CopperLady

Chris252 wrote: »
    I'm already experiencing some heavier periods in the last few months and a lot more light headed/dizzy and cramping in abdomen and legs... so I just worry that this could be made worse by the coil from things I've heard.

It can make them heavier but I've found that mine has gone back to normal now to be honest. There is a medication that your GP can prescribe for heavy bleeding, I took it for a while when I had heavy periods and found it great. If your periods are that bad you might want to talk to your GP, those symptoms sound worrying.

Maybe you could look into the mini pill? It might help your periods too.

Advertisement