Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being Royal Is No Joke - Or Is It?

Options
  • 22-07-2018 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

As interest focuses on the Harry / Meghan wedding, what is the likely outcome? In your opinion, how can Meghan adjust to being Royal and are there comparisons that can be made with people who preceded her, such as the Duchess of Windsor, Wallace Simpson?

Some rules that Meghan will be expected to adhere to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWJy81z1vjU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Wow, you know them on first name terms. Are you an insider?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

degsie wrote: »
    Wow, you know them on first name terms. Are you an insider?

What was she supposed to call them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

You’re a prince Harry.. and ginger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

There is an interesting series on the BBC at the moment. "Spying on the Royals". It concerns the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, who abdicated from the throne before WW2. Their every move became a source for spying. Bodyguards were spies. Meghan now has two bodyguards (spies?!) that follow her everwhere she goes. Is she already wondering "What have I done?" regrding what she has taken on?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Rule number one: wear a seat belt incase of 'accidents'

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    What was she supposed to call them ?

The Ginger and the Nut?

No doubt, their every move in their recent visit to Ireland would have been spied on and accounts sent back to the British Government. Things don't change that much, where History is concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

It will be hard, I’d imagine. She really is totally new to that world. At least Kate Middleton was born in the UK and would be much more familiar with the reality of Royal life. Meghan has basically had to ditch her old life. But she may adjust well. Who knows? I just hope that when the honeymoon period passes, it’s all been worth it. She will never be left alone by the media for the rest of her days, no matter what happens! :eek:

_Dara_ wrote: »
    It will be hard, I’d imagine. She really is totally new to that world. At least Kate Middleton was born in the UK and would be much more familiar with the reality of Royal life. Meghan has basically had to ditch her old life. But she may adjust well. Who knows? I just hope that when the honeymoon period passes, it’s all been worth it. She will never be left alone by the media for the rest of her days, no matter what happens! :eek:

Exactly as I was thinking, _Dara_! Kate M. moved in those circles before she was married, having met William in college and known him for a few years. She seems to have adjusted extremely well to her role in the Royal Family. It will be very difficult for Meghan, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

No joke indeed.
    I hope they'll be ok financially as everyone knows how difficult it can be paying for a wedding, honeymoon, finding a suitable home to raise a family etc.

from MONEY: ''While there are a lot of guesses out there about the 33-year-old prince’s wealth, global wealth insights firm Wealth-X estimates Prince Harry’s 2018 net worth is about $25 million — at the very least. Other reports speculate his net worth is as high as $40 million, but $25 million is the conservative estimate, Wealth-X told MONEY.''

Maybe they'll be fine after all.

• Advertisement

I imagine money is the least of Harry's concerns. I'm wondering how he and Meghan sort out their budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

acai berry wrote: »
    I imagine money is the least of Harry's concerns. I'm wondering how he and Meghan sort out their budget.

With little to no difficulty, I suspect.

With little to no difficulty, I suspect.

Just wondering! You never know what complications can arise.

https://www.ok.co.uk/celebrity-feature/1345070/kate-middleton-shopping-food-supermarket-royals-prince-harry-waitrose-truth

Prince Harry talks abot how Royals do their grocery shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Meghan was already famous and moving in Harry’s circle of friends before their marriage. She wasn’t plucked from obscurity. I’m sure she was clever enough to fully research her role in the royal family before she took it on.

Meghan was already famous and moving in Harry’s circle of friends before their marriage. She wasn’t plucked from obscurity. I’m sure she was clever enough to fully research her role in the royal family before she took it on.

Hopefully she did that well, Summer wind. Doing research in advance obviously is a good thing, but actually living and experiencing her new life must be challenging, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Well there is a Lidl branch in Slough only three miles from Windsor if thet can get accommodation there

• Registered Users Posts: 30,310 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think people who get married into the royal family know what they are getting themselves into.
    I'd have no issue with it but I don't think the queen or Charles would like me falling out of Lidl wearing a hoodie with cinnamon buns.

After her May 19 wedding to Harry at Windsor’s St. George’s Chapel, Meghan’s clothing budget for official outings will be covered by the money that Prince Charles gives to Prince William, Kate and Harry from his Duchy of Cornwall income of about $28 million.

Last year, the trio drew the expenses needed for their public lives (salaries and office costs and other expenses) from a fund of $4.8 million. (That part of Charles’s official outgoings also covers other aspects of his accounts, such as some capital expenditure.)

Meghan Markle's Royal Wardrobe: Here's Who Pays for It, and Why She Can't Accept Free Clothes

https://people.com/royals/meghan-markles-royal-wardrobe-heres-who-pays-for-it-and-why-she-cant-accept-free-clothes/

I think people who get married into the royal family know what they are getting themselves into.
    I'd have no issue with it but I don't think the queen or Charles would like me falling out of Lidl wearing a hoodie with cinnamon buns.

Is it really possible to know what you're getting into in advance - the full implications? Meghan Markle needs to be very strong mentally and emotionally in order to survive this.

Princess Diana was much more connected with the Royal Family and did not survive everything that was involved.

Fergie - Sarah Ferguson, also became a cropper, even though she had mixed with the royal family from childhood.

Is it really possible to know what you're getting into in advance - the full implications? Meghan Markle needs to be very strong mentally and emotionally in order to survive this.

Princess Diana was much more connected with the Royal Family and did not survive everything that was involved.

Fergie - Sarah Ferguson, also became a cropper, even though she had mixed with the royal family from childhood.

I think their might have being a time when people like Diana and Fergie might have being a little naive around what exactly what they were getting themselves into but I think these two showed people what it was like to be royal.

• Advertisement

I think their might have being a time when people like Diana and Fergie might have being a little naive around what exactly what they were getting themselves into but I think these two showed people what it was like to be royal.

Not so sure what that means. They don't seem to have acted any differently to other royals before them.

Not so sure what that means. They don't seem to have acted any differently to other royals before them.

My point was most people know how Fergie and Diana were treated and got on.
    If anybody signs up to the royal family thinking it's a fairy tail they deserve exactly what they get if they don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Diana got married at 19. No 19 year old is prepared for the life at the centre of media storm with a man who picked her because she was convenient.

Markle is older, like many tv actresses she would sink into obscurity after Suits finished. She is not sacrificing that much, Hollywood doesn't have much interest into ageing almost famous tv actresses. If the marriage works, good luck to them, if it doesn't she will still have enough money for the rest of her life.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Diana got married at 19. No 19 year old is prepared for the life at the centre of media storm with a man who picked her because she was convenient.

Markle is older, like many tv actresses she would sink into obscurity after Suits finished. She is not sacrificing that much, Hollywood doesn't have much interest into ageing almost famous tv actresses. If the marriage works, good luck to them, if it doesn't she will still have enough money for the rest of her life.

Good points there, meeeeh! Especially those concernng Meghan's prospects as an aging actress. Good luck to her, if she can make this marriage work!

I imagine a prenuptual agreement would have been a foregone conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Diana was a virginal almost-child raised in a very sheltered environment who mistakenly believed her intended was in love with her when his affections had long belonged to someone else.

Meghan is a divorced thirty-something who has spent years in the public eye and whose husband is absolutely besotted with her.

There is absolutely no comparison.

I do imagine she'll struggle a little bit to adapt to the reality of the limitations of her new role, but she had a fairly good idea what she was getting into. Hopefully she'll be fine— but if not, they can always get divorced. There's a precedent for it now, and as Harry isn't heir to the throne, she'll probably be allowed to walk away without the character assassination Diana suffered.

I don't think I'd personally be able to live with all the restrictions of being a royal, even in exchange for their great wealth. I actually feel more sorry for Harry who had no choice in the matter, whereas Meghan chose this life as an informed adult. I think they've probably got as good a chance as any other young couple starting their lives, they just have different blessings and different challenges.

I'm wondering if Meghan, being an actress, takes this on as another acting role. :eek: :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

So you are the one who buys all the cinnamon buns! :mad:
    I hate you! :D

(Sorry, acai berry, have no interest in royalty, only in royalties that land on my account. Cinnamon bun was the trigger here...)

It's Royalty, who actually gives a shoite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

I'm wondering if Meghan, being an actress, takes this on as another acting role. :eek: :confused:

Isn't the royal family really a family of pre-packaged actors and actresses?

• Advertisement

Isn't the royal family really a family of pre-packaged actors and actresses?

:D You're probably right there, Chaos Tourist! They're certainly playing roles! :P

Advertisement