Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practice swings.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Seen some wanker line his ball up on a tee recently.

was that me? ye hoor :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If he's quick to the ball, leaves bag in the right place, has club selection made whilst others are hitting and quick in other areas he could be faster than the guy who takes no practice swings.

If he does all that and takes 5 practice swings he will be faster if he doesn't take the 5 practice swings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭blue note

And the low ones too. If no-one is on the course no-one is being held up. Which is of course the overall goal of the game.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The logical concluson here is to get rid of high handicappers as well, because y'know they hit the ball more times.

Hitting more shots doesn't make you a slow golfer, it makes you a poor golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

GreeBo wrote: »
    Hitting more shots doesn't make you a slow golfer, it makes you a poor golfer.

So by that logic the fella who hits fewer shots but has the same number of practice swings to match total number of swings taken by the poorer golfer, will then not actually be a slow golfer.

• Advertisement

Anyone who is slower than they can be is a slow golfer, the number of shots you hit is effectively irrelevant.

If you take 100 shots, assuming 5 seconds to hit the ball (which is about 5 times longer than a swing actually takes), that's a whopping 8 mins.

Going around in level par will be 6 mins.

So the time lost is not based on the number of shots you hit, its based on all the other crap you do OTHER than hitting the ball. Practice swings are part of this "other crap".

Do you care about saving 2 minutes out of a 5 hour round, because I certainly don't. I care about saving the extra 75 minutes that some slow golfer is adding on to everyone else..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

I know some people who need to slow down .. take a practice swing or two .. focus on hitting the ball straight.

Would save me looking for their ball in the rough every hole, and ultimately save a lot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I’m bored with this now

Advertisement