Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Gabbard is the obvious one, has slagged of the Democrat establishment numerous times over the last few years and has stepped it up in her campaign. Unlikely she has much time for Biden whatsoever.

She will have an eye on been Bernies VP also. Doing a Christie style attack on Biden would go down very well with her and Bernie's base.

Mike Gravel is the other who will go after pretty much everyone bar Tulsi and Bernie, but unsure he will get to the debate stage.
    It's top 20 in the debates and first ones are at the end of this month. Here's a summary of how it will work.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/2020-democratic-presidential-debates-work/story?id=63480263

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Gabbard is the obvious one, has slagged of the Democrat establishment numerous times over the last few years and has stepped it up in her campaign. Unlikely she has much time for Biden whatsoever.

She will have an eye on been Bernies VP also. Doing a Christie style attack on Biden would go down very well with her and Bernie's base.

Mike Gravel is the other who will go after pretty much everyone bar Tulsi and Bernie, but unsure he will get to the debate stage.

Well, apparently those first debates will be split into 2 nights, so presumably it's going to be the Heavy Hitters for one night, with the also-rans making up the other (so folks like *googles* John Delaney. No, not that one). If there is going to be a Stalking Horse it'll be a candidate who's already lagging behind, so yeah, maybe Gabbard if she's part of that first grouping.

It'll be, what? Biden; Sanders; Warren; Harris; O'Rourke; Buttigieg; Booker; Klobuchar; so yeah Gabbard might round it off...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

eagle eye wrote: »
    Biden has no chance in a Presidential race. There are many reasons including his age but that little scratch of being touchy feely will become an open wound during a Presidential election.

Let me guess, Biden should drop out now and endorse Martin Heinrich? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Nobody will beat Trump. It is 4 more years for him. Long may he reign.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

If Elizabeth Warren is elected President of the US, that is the new benchmark for every nation. She is beyond what we could dream of for a leader. She is liberal, she is educated to the highest levels, she has taken on the most powerful banks and companies throughout her career, she will improve the life of every single American person overnight.

Warren is an incredible politician and an even more impressive human being If you thought Obama was great, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Republicans quake in her shadow, as she is fearless against the massive banks. You working two jobs to pay a mortgage? Ancient history under Warren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

If Elizabeth Warren is elected President of the US, that is the new benchmark for every nation. She is beyond what we could dream of for a leader. She is liberal, she is educated to the highest levels, she has taken on the most powerful banks and companies throughout her career, *she will improve the life of every single American person overnight*.

Warren is an incredible politician and an even more impressive human being If you thought Obama was great, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Republicans quake in her shadow, as she is fearless against the massive banks. You working two jobs to pay a mortgage? Ancient history under Warren.

* Think that is Mr. Yang you're maybe thinking of, who will hand (every) citizen $1,000per month (for free) from the getgo, for 4yrs+.

Other than that, she could be useful for the middle-earners, but would face a challenge from WallSt, Bankers and even business owners. "no other candidate (in 2012) represents a greater threat to 'free enterprise' than Warren" (USCC).

Hard to see anyone past Trump at this stage, he didn't even insult anyone this week at the big dinner.

Bidens lead over Trump has increased to 4 in Texas
    O'Rourke is 3 behind Trump in his home state

https://poll.qu.edu/texas/release-detail?ReleaseID=2625

• Registered Users Posts: 37,823 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Let me guess, Biden should drop out now and endorse Martin Heinrich?

Well he won't be running so that would be insane.
    Heinrich's surname is a but unfortunate but he would be a brilliant candidate imo, never going to happen though.
    I've a feeling the powers that be in the Democrat party don't really care about 2020.
    I think they are looking at Joe Kennedy as a two termer from 2024.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If Elizabeth Warren is elected President of the US, that is the new benchmark for every nation. She is beyond what we could dream of for a leader. She is liberal, she is educated to the highest levels, she has taken on the most powerful banks and companies throughout her career, she will improve the life of every single American person overnight.

This. A Sanders/Warren ticket would also be a nice compromise especially given she'd be in pole position for 2024 then.

I would be happy with whatever calls a halt to "President for Life we should give that a go" and bring some semblance of normality back to the US and the World.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

I certainly think it would be great for the vast majority of Americans if Warren won. I doubt it will happen but it would be fantastic if it did. I will push back on one thing you said though. Obama was at best a mediocre president. He did little to improve the lives economically of most Americans other then stop the bleeding. For most it was still crap jobs with poverty wages. His health care plan was just a less bad version of the American for profit heath care model which still leaves millions uninsured, premiums continue to rise and rise while health care for profit companies continue to see CEO's and executives make out like bandits. Then there was his ramping up of spying and his Orwellian surveillance state. Never mind his continuance of American imperialism abroad, mass drone strikes killing unknow numbers of innocents etc. So the idea that Obama was some great president is a myth although I suppose that view point is helped by the contrast with the current president and how bad he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 istooptoconcur

I have titled this post with the election slogan from wooster's millions simply because I would have almost anyone for president who is not a member of the super rich (this as the temptation is to pass the buck: Mr. trumps first act was a tax cut for the super rich). sorry Oprah believes that she does not have the 'DNA' to run as the primaries seem to be a personality race that she could perhaps win. I believe trump will win the next one by the way, America is too broken to do itself a favour yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Interesting little article over on Politico.

https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2019/06/01/labor-anger-over-green-new-deal-greets-2020-contenders-in-california-1027570
    LOS ANGELES — Blue-collar union workers in solidly Democratic California are rejecting "Green New Deal" politics, a possible preview of troubles for 2020 presidential hopefuls in Rust Belt states like Pennsylvania and Ohio

[...]

“The Green New Deal may be the darling of the Democratic Party — but it really divides the Democrats on a fault line, which is more of the elites against the working class Democrats who are concerned about losing their jobs," said Jessica Levinson, a member of the Los Angeles Ethics Commission and a professor who teaches politics and ethics at Loyola Law School.

Lifelong union members “don’t necessarily want to be retrained’’ for other, greener work spots — “nor is it even possible,’’ says Levinson. She predicts with the 2020 election looming, Democratic leaders will have to wrestle with the fact that “unlike the Mueller report and impeachment and indictment — people vote on whether or not they’re going to lose their job.”

[...]

While there's no chance that President Donald Trump will take California, pushing too far on the Green New Deal could "make it difficult for Democrats to recapture crucial Western states” like Colorado and Nevada — both won by Hillary Clinton in 2016 — “and it would certainly be an issue in states like Pennsylvania," said Jack Pitney, a veteran California political analyst and political science professor at Claremont McKenna College.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

https://twitter.com/reidepstein/status/1139568946934439936

Debate schedule for the first ones out. I think Warren will be okish with that, obviously with momentum behind her she would like to lay some blows on the front runners, but she can dominate that debate. Tulsi could land a few blows also although think she would have loved to go after Biden.

Purple is stacked despite a few duds there (hello gilly)...think the focus for all especially Harris and Bernie who are losing momentum is go after Biden hard or he will run away with it. Yang and Bernie on the same night could be fun also.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The pack needs to start getting smaller as soon as. I know the election is yonks away but a worthwhile debate involving 10 candidates is ambitious. Plus two separate debates isn’t helping either.

We saw this in 2016 when the stage was so crowded that Mr Trump won out the debates with his 3 word soundbites as the other candidates who at least tried to take policy positions didn’t have the time to elucidate them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The likes of Hinckenlooper and Delaney have no business running (IIRC Delaney got roundly booed for a full minute at a Democrat conference in California), and are sucking the oxygen away from serious candidates who have both momentum and the chops to at least take a stab. Warren's kinda slimming it with that lot, even Booker has already faded from the limelight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

A new poll shows more than half of American union members support the Green New Deal
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/green-new-deal-unions_n_5cfa9b5ee4b0aab91c0589c7

Perhaps the Politico article is more interested in manufacturing dissent.

BluePlanet wrote: »
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/green-new-deal-unions_n_5cfa9b5ee4b0aab91c0589c7

Perhaps the Politico article is more interested in manufacturing dissent.

Maybe they're saying exactly what HuffPo is saying. From the HP article:
    The influential construction unions, historically opposed to any policies that jeopardize fossil fuel infrastructure, have come out hard against the Green New Deal. The AFL-CIO criticized the plan to zero out emissions by 2030 as “not achievable or realistic.”

Unions in California protested the GND at a state Democratic Party convention last week in San Francisco, offering a glimpse at how the proposal could prove electorally divisive even in blue states.

Politico did not claim that all unions are opposed, but they do claim, and HP acknowledges, that there is some strong opposition within the unions, "even in Blue states", which begs Politico's points about the purple ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Biden seems like a terrible candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

Biden seems like a terrible candidate.

Care to elaborate as to why you think so
    Personally I am not impressed with him. He seems like he would be just another corporate democrat if he won beholden to the rich donars and corporations who pay him to do their bidding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Biden is a safe pair of hands, a return to normality and familiarity. That and name recognition have him where he is at the minute. Warren could be a very good president I feel but am doubtful she would win a general election. If pushed I'd give her the shot though.

Trump is awful, devoid of any spine or principle which doesn't translate to a good president but he is adept at reality TV which is what the campaigns basically are these days and with the coverage he will get he will be tough to stop.

I like some of the other candidates but as yet nobody has stood out other than Warren. Beto running is such a waste, he couldn't carry his own state yet he thought he could go for president? Why not target the Senate seat and be a bit tactical with their thinking, plenty of time left for him to take a shot at the big job instead of wasting space now.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Biden is a safe pair of hands, a return to normality and familiarity. That and name recognition have him where he is at the minute. Warren could be a very good president I feel but am doubtful she would win a general election. If pushed I'd give her the shot though.

Trump is awful, devoid of any spine or principle which doesn't translate to a good president but he is adept at reality TV which is what the campaigns basically are these days and with the coverage he will get he will be tough to stop.

I like some of the other candidates but as yet nobody has stood out other than Warren. Beto running is such a waste, he couldn't carry his own state yet he thought he could go for president? Why not target the Senate seat and be a bit tactical with their thinking, plenty of time left for him to take a shot at the big job instead of wasting space now.

This applies to a lot of the current candidates.

O'Rourke and Buttegieg could seriously target Senate seats and winning extra senate seats is arguably more important than unseating Trump.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    This applies to a lot of the current candidates.

O'Rourke and Buttegieg could seriously target Senate seats and winning extra senate seats is arguably more important than unseating Trump.

Indeed.

They need to put clearing McConnell on the same priority level as beating Trump.

If it's a choice of one or the other the Senate should be targeted as a higher priority than the presidency. Hold both houses of Congress and you have a lame duck president who is kept largely under control you would imagine. Leave MM in charge as he majority leader in the Senate and the presidency loses some of its shine. Obviously taking both would be the goal ideally but if it's one or the other the strategy and priority should be securing the congress.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

If it's a choice of one or the other the Senate should be targeted as a higher priority than the presidency. Hold both houses of Congress and you have a lame duck president who is kept largely under control you would imagine. Leave MM in charge as he majority leader in the Senate and the presidency loses some of its shine. Obviously taking both would be the goal ideally but if it's one or the other the strategy and priority should be securing the congress.

I have a strong, if unfounded, suspicion that this is more or less what happened three years ago. Since everybody "knew" that Clinton would win, I would wager a lot of folks voted Republican for their congresscritter precisely to ensure that she couldn't do a hell of a lot, then got shocked when the Republicans got all three. Then again, no major harm done, since the Republicans couldn't agree on anything much to pass.

Given that the odds are that Trump will lose, it would not surprise me at all to discover that the swing states will vote red for congress in order to limit the swing to the left. Some of the swing last year was the anti-Trump protest vote. This time around, if they want to protest Trump, they'll vote against him directly, not indirectly via congress. If Trump wins anyway, so what? The Republicans couldn't pass much last time they were in charge, why should next time be any different? So no major harm done there either.

O'Rourke's not even going to win Texas in primary. Biden is well ahead and Sanders and Warren are pretty much neck and neck with him in native state.

Given that the odds are that Trump will lose
    As much as I'd love this to be true it's not. The Democrats are doing their very best to secure him a second term with two old guys likely to battle it out to take him on.
    Old Democrats have no chance ofvl winning a Presidential election..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

eagle eye wrote: »
    As much as I'd love this to be true it's not. The Democrats are doing their very best to secure him a second term with two old guys likely to battle it out to take him on.
    Old Democrats have no chance ofvl winning a Presidential election..

When you say "old Democrats" do you mean in terms of age or the establishment democrats ?

He means age, he keeps saying it.

No women, no old white men, certainly no old white Jewish men.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote:
    When you say "old Democrats" do you mean in terms of age or the establishment democrats ?
    Age.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement