Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am i taking to many supplements?

Options
  • 20-07-2018 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

here is a list of what i take everyday:

b50- one tablet
    omega 3- one softgel
    magnesium/zinc/calcium- one tablet
    guarana - one tablet
    turmeric - one tablet

brain - two tablets (this is a mushroom supplement from host defence)

my wife thinks it is way too many. is she right?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

No, that seems ok to me.

However I would question your bang for buck regarding these.
    You did hear about fish oil supplements not having any beneficial effects on cardiovascular health?

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-44845879

Better off eating the fish if you can. I love my canned mackerel and sardines and have stopped supplementing.
    I do supplement with Vit D though, and Magnesium is another supplement I will take.

For vitamins though, nope. I just don't think the evidence is there.

I did hear recently too that turmeric supplementation did not benefit health, but turmeric in food did (sorry, no link, can't remember LOL ;))

However, it could be to do with absorption issues.
    Make sure to take your turmeric with food (with some oil), and add plenty black pepper.
    Black pepper increases absorption rates of the turmeric by hundreds fold.

Would rather have a curry tbh though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    No, that seems ok to me.

However I would question your bang for buck regarding these.
    You did hear about fish oil supplements not having any beneficial effects on cardiovascular health?

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-44845879

Better off eating the fish if you can. I love my canned mackerel and sardines and have stopped supplementing.
    I do supplement with Vit D though, and Magnesium is another supplement I will take.

For vitamins though, nope. I just don't think the evidence is there.

i cant stomach fish, have tried loads of different ones and cant eat it hence the supplement

I would also add probiotics to the list, but try to find one that suits you.
    I'm currently using Nutravita's Pure Biotic, which I purchased from Amazon at a decent price.

My tummy issues have improved, even more so than my homemade kefir.
    But I find it a trial and error process with the probiotics.

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i cant stomach fish, have tried loads of different ones and cant eat it hence the supplement

I completely understand.
    That's why I used to supplement too.
    It's probably better to supplement in that case.

But do remember: cutting down on your Omega 6 is as beneficial as increasing your Omega 3.
    Take the supplements, but avoid the vegetable oils.

• Advertisement

Oh, you know what I found made a difference to my energy levels?

Kelp supplements.

I was quite surprised. And it's cheap. And the pills are tiny.

I tried the spirulina, but didn't feel any different, so didn't bother with them anymore.
    Didn't like taking 10 green button sized pills anyway.

One walnut a day provides the same as a selenium supplement, so they say.
    I usually add a small few nuts to whatever I'm eating.

Why are you supplementing with guarana?
    That's a stim like caffeine, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Eat a balanced diet with plenty of extra fruit and veg. Unless you have a diagnosed medical condition and a prescription for that list, you are basically making expensive urine.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Eat a balanced diet with plenty of extra fruit and veg. Unless you have a diagnosed medical condition and a prescription for that list, you are basically making expensive urine.

Pretty much. But easier said than done for many people.
    Vit D though is one I would recommend for everyone.

• Advertisement

Why are you supplementing with guarana?
    That's a stim like caffeine, right?

i suffer from depression/anxiety and it was recommended to me to take it.

I struggle with eating most days so i was trying to get the benefits from the supplements would i be better off to stop taking them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

"I struggle with eating most days so i was trying to get the benefits from the supplements would i be better off to stop taking them?"

ED type of struggle, or just bad diet/cant cook won't cook?

i suffer from depression/anxiety and it was recommended to me to take it.

Oh ok cool.
    I have long time depression too. I found fish oils had some benefit, but had to eventually take SSRI, 10 years ago.
    Never looked back, great stuff, despite the side effects.

Have you tried CBD for the anxiety?
    I know it's not cheap though.

"I struggle with eating most days so i was trying to get the benefits from the supplements would i be better off to stop taking them?"

ED type of struggle, or just bad diet/cant cook won't cook?

ED type of struggle
    Oh ok cool.
    I have long time depression too. I found fish oils had some benefit, but had to eventually take SSRI, 10 years ago.
    Never looked back, great stuff, despite the side effects.

Have you tried CBD for the anxiety?
    I know it's not cheap though.

i take ssri as well but im trying to move away from them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Id focus on your diet rather than pills/supplements

Theres really no substitute for a proper diet

i take ssri as well but im trying to move away from them

Yeah. Be careful and do it via your gp.

I tried to do it on my own by weaning off my 20mg escitalopram, and crashed with weeks of flu symptoms and veering on psychosis. The symptoms eventually came back and I returned to the pills.

Do try the fish oil though. And exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AlBlack

I've been hearing quite a bit about CBD in Fresh Hemp Juice and CBD in Hemp Oil, and I don't know who to believe. I don't want to get stoned but I hear That CBD is REALLY good for me, can anyone fill in the gaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,039 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Used to take the odd vitamin and supplement for 'general health' and never felt any better for it.

Read a few articles and they more or less said I was wasting my money, as the body gets so little from them. If you eat a good balanced diet it is far more beneficial.

@OP, do you mind saying how much this costs you each month?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

AlBlack wrote: »
    I've been hearing quite a bit about CBD in Fresh Hemp Juice and CBD in Hemp Oil, and I don't know who to believe. I don't want to get stoned but I hear That CBD is REALLY good for me, can anyone fill in the gaps?

You can't get stoned from CBD or help oil

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

One walnut a day provides the same as a selenium supplement, so they say.
    I usually add a small few nuts to whatever I'm eating.

That's brazil nuts, I eat one every day!

• Advertisement
Advertisement