Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about bar/implant

Options
  • 20-07-2018 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey guys I just have a quick question about contraceptive implant. I am currently using the evra patch and have been on them over a year but lately I've been thinking about it's effectiveness ( like when it starts to peel ) and was thinking of getting the implant. I really don't want to get pregnant and the implant seems pretty effective. I'm just looking for advice on anyone who has had it or currently has it and their experiences with it.??? What do you think should I stay using patch or get implant ??? Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I'm on my second implant. I find it beyond convenient and would recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭stargazing123

I'm on my second implant. I find it beyond convenient and would recommend

Thanks for replying. :) I know this is your second implant but have you ever gotten any side effects? When I looked up about it it said it can give you irregular bleeding throughout the year :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Think it really depends on the person, OP. Like any type of hormonal contraceptives.

I've a friend who's on her 3rd bar and thinks its great. She's also had no "period" since going on it. Then a girl I went to school with had to get it out after a few months as she was pretty much always bleeding.

I've had a bit of irregular bleeding but use a mooncup so don't find it too inconvenient. Side effects will be different for everyone, guess I am one of the unlucky ones.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Entirely depends on the individual as to what side effects you get. I have a mirena but still get a bleed & friends who have it don’t. Unfortunately it ain’t one size fits all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I am on my second implant, and find it brilliant. No weight gain as I had with most pills and no periods, only get the very odd bit of cramping and spotting. The only drawback was the first bar had kinked and it was very difficult to remove and took ages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'm on my third one. I get a period once a year or every two years. I cannot recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

I had 2 implants and over the course of the 6 years rarely got a period and when I did it was very light with no pain, would definitely recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

I'm still on my first implant but will be starting second soon. I get some spotting every few months with a headache to match which is a walk in the park compared to the misery I had to endure every month before getting it in. Its the best thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 roseviolet95

Hey guys I just have a quick question about contraceptive implant. I am currently using the evra patch and have been on them over a year but lately I've been thinking about it's effectiveness ( like when it starts to peel ) and was thinking of getting the implant. I really don't want to get pregnant and the implant seems pretty effective. I'm just looking for advice on anyone who has had it or currently has it and their experiences with it.??? What do you think should I stay using patch or get implant ??? Thanks:)

I had the implant for 3 years. I’ve heard it’s worked well for a lot of my friends, but I had periods and spotting constantly throughout the 3 years, up to 12 weeks of proper period at a time. I’m very anaemic now. I kept it in because I was hoping it would ease up but rarely did.

I also had really bad acne and mood swings. Just couldn’t handle the constant flow of hormones throughout my body. I now have the Jaydess coil which I find much better.

That being said, I have friends who haven’t had a period since they got it in. Doesn’t hurt getting it put in either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Sorry to hop on this with all the questions -- Just wondering :

Is there a particular make to ask for ? Or is this unnecessary ?
    Can I get it in straight away, or is there a trial period?
    Also - does anyone know pricing?

And last not least, any recommendations good doctor to go to in Dublin? I was between that & well woman clinic.

Thanks so much!

And last not least, any recommendations good doctor to go to in Dublin? I was between that & well woman clinic.

Thanks so much!

Hi,

It’s called Implanon. You can get it in straight away, you just need to have a consultation and take a pregnancy test on the day.

I got it done in the Well Woman in Coolock as they accept medical card. Very good, professional, caring doctors. They have the prices for Implanon insertion/purchase on their website :) hope this helps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I've never done a pregnancy test for my 3 insertions??

Implanon:
    You go to the doc for a consult €50 approx
    They give you a prescription for it
    Get it from chemist, It'll cost to you approx €140 iirc
    You go back to your doc (arrange appointment) for insertion. Maybe €120

Iirc it costs approx €300 in total

amdublin wrote: »
    I've never done a pregnancy test for my 3 insertions??

Implanon:
    You go to the doc for a consult €50 approx
    They give you a prescription for it
    Get it from chemist, It'll cost to you approx €140 iirc
    You go back to your doc (arrange appointment) for insertion. Maybe €120

Iirc it costs approx €300 in total

I guess it’s different for every doctor, but in the Well Woman they ask you to bring a urine sample on the day of insertion for them to test, just to be safe. I’ve had it for my implant and my coil.

I guess it’s different for every doctor, but in the Well Woman they ask you to bring a urine sample on the day of insertion for them to test, just to be safe. I’ve had it for my implant and my coil.

Was it a long time I wonder? Most places don't even ask you to bring a sample any more you just go do it in a cup there, or even on a stix

Thanks so much!

If you sign up for the Drugs Payment Scheme you will only pay €134 for it. Your chemist can help you sign up
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/drugspaymentscheme/

amdublin wrote: »
    Was it a long time I wonder? Most places don't even ask you to bring a sample any more you just go do it in a cup there, or even on a stix

Well, I only got my coil in 12 weeks ago and they asked me then. So far, I’ve always been asked up until recently. They only ask you to bring one, rather than do one there, as they like to get your first pee of the day, as it tends to be most accurate (hCG & that).

I’m sure it’s different everywhere but that’s always been my experience :)

Advertisement