Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BlackKklansman

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

yabadabado wrote: »
    It is .I've no idea how faithful it is to the book.

In short, It is very different to the actual happenings and is not faithful to the book.

There’s a big controversy going on about it since the film has been released.

Following link goes into it

https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2018/aug/20/boots-riley-spike-lee-blackkklansman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Did anyone find the culmination of the main plot a bit all over the place too?
    They're at this big meeting with Duke and the KKK guys figure out that there's two cops there. Instead of doing something about it, they play all coy with Flip. Ron then causes a big scene by getting his photo with Duke and everything kicks off and he gets threatened and told to get the f out quickly.

Cut to the next scene and the KKK guys give the wife the bomb IN FRONT OF THE GUY THEY KNOW IS A COP WHO WAS ALSO MEANT TO HAVE JUST BEEN KICKED OUT. :confused:

Ron then immediately realises the wife has the bomb and starts chasing her ... but he's still about 10 minutes behind her somehow when she gets to the girlfriend's house :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

In short, It is very different to the actual happenings and is not faithful to the book.

https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2018/aug/20/boots-riley-spike-lee-blackkklansman

Cheers for that ,I'll take a look at that once I get to see the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,030 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Really enjoyed this movie and think it could put a series bid in for an Oscar

Very good story and from seeing it would not like to visit that part of America

• Registered Users Posts: 14,445 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it - Maybe it never reached a tension climax for me if that makes sense. Many times you're left waiting and waiting but it never happens.

Favourite scene for me was the dance one. Nicely done
    The Klan member they kept focusing on the eye of at the Cross-Burning at the end was hardly Flip I'd assume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

callaway92 wrote: »
    The Klan member they kept focusing on the eye of at the Cross-Burning at the end was hardly Flip I'd assume?

Not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it - Maybe it never reached a tension climax for me if that makes sense. Many times you're left waiting and waiting but it never happens.

Favourite scene for me was the dance one. Nicely done

Just watched this. Very good I thought. Not sure I laughed once though. Will agree that the final montage was quite powerful.

Quoting you because I too was wondering where they were going with that bit in your spoiler.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Isn't the Flip Zimmerman character made up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

The Super Smash Bros memes (as a result of the game's trailer rather than linked to this movie) ruined this scene for me!

461551.png

🤪

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

This mostly worked, though the tone was a bit choppy, as others have said. It's quite a remarkable story and I had heard the actual Ron Stallworth interviewed by Todd VanDerWerff a while ago. Good cast - Adam Driver and Washington in particular, the former - I almost forgot he was essentially undercover twice - pretending he wasn't a cop and pretending he was the one on the phone. Washington was great on the phone and what can I say, I love rotary phones. I did feel engaged by the KKK characters too. They were human after all and believers. On the downside, I felt it was a little overly satisfied with itself towards the end, for instance the final phone call and the pub scene too. That's quickly dispensed when they bring the viewer back to earth with quite a punch.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I thought this was bland. I kept waiting for it to take of. Disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Excellent movie- best I’ve seen in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Excellent movie- best I’ve seen in a while

A bit uneven for me as Spike has a habit of clumsily loading on the politics but still enjoyable enough. Thought that last segment could have been done as text only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

is_that_so wrote: »
    A bit uneven for me as Spike has a habit of clumsily loading on the politics but still enjoyable enough. Thought that last segment could have been done as text only.

Thought it was more striking and real as video

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Thought it was more striking and real as video

Yeah, but not part of the actual film's story. It is a thing of his to bluntly wave issues in your face, not always to good cinematic effect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think in the environment in which the film was made, Lee was right to draw parallels; there's a not uncommon narrative in America that likes to believe racism is a thing of the past, usually involving waffle about Obama, that kind of thing.

The Charlottesville riots, the murder of that protestor, and the current presidents equivocating over a simple condemnation of white supremacists, was a pretty incendiary moment and Lee made the right decision to highlight that. While it was one thing to watch a darkly comedic film about the KKK, they haven't really gone away.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think in the environment in which the film was made, Lee was right to draw parallels; there's a not uncommon narrative in America that likes to believe racism is a thing of the past, usually involving waffle about Obama, that kind of thing.

The Charlottesville riots, the murder of that protestor, and the current presidents equivocating over a simple condemnation of white supremacists, was a pretty incendiary moment and Lee made the right decision to highlight that. While it was one thing to watch a darkly comedic film about the KKK, they haven't really gone away.
    Not really a fan of doing that for the sake of it and was fascinated by the core story. Sometimes films work better IMO when you limit them and make the audience work. If you want to draw parallels make a documentary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not really a fan of doing that for the sake of it and was fascinated by the core story. Sometimes films work better IMO when you limit them and make the audience work. If you want to draw parallels make a documentary.

Like I said, it was connected to story and IMO worked as a subversive gutpunch at the end, especially as a preemptive retort to those who might suggest such things are in the past. And it was only 30 seconds anyway so wasn't too intrusive all round

pixelburp wrote: »
    Like I said, it was connected to story and IMO worked as a subversive gutpunch at the end, especially as a preemptive retort to those who might suggest such things are in the past. And it was only 30 seconds anyway so wasn't too intrusive all round

I didn't think it did and it's an example of what he can't help doing, over-egging the cake. I enjoyed the film but you know there's something he has to get into every film.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

A very good movie rather than a great one. I loved the dancehall scene with Too Late to Turn Back Now though!

7/10.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Re: the ending

I am not a fan of "based on a true story" films that cut to real life or people at the end. Feels like a cheap trick. In this case, as pixelburp said, it was intended more as a gut punch to subvert the good guys won narrative, which I give Lee points for especially given how whitewashed the rest of the film is, but I still didn't care for it. All it's really saying is "stuff is still f**ked" but I don't need Spike to tell me that. I feel like he just put it in there to distract viewers from the politics of the film itself.

It's still a extremely enjoyable action-comedy.

Advertisement