Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Hows the going people. Time of the year. My daughter 13 has a p20 lite for 2 years now. Great phone she says. But wants a new one. Was on about an iphone 11. Too expensive i think. Whats as good people

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Hows the going people. Time of the year. My daughter 13 has a p20 lite for 2 years now. Great phone she says. But wants a new one. Was on about an iphone 11. Too expensive i think. Whats as good people
    Poco F2 Pro maybe. Depends on budget I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Is that a good phone in comparison to the iphone 11

Is that a good phone in comparison to the iphone 11
    What does your daughter want to use it for mainly?
    It is comparable to the iPhone in terms of performance (maybe even better) etc., and for roughly half the price (either side).
    It has a good camera, good battery and decent audio.
    It is more than capable of handling games or most anything that I would expect her to throw at it.
    Google Camera (gcam) can also be installed on it.

Poco F2 Pro.. Notchless display with pop up camera. IR blaster. Headphones jack. Under screen fingerprint. Very fast 30w charging and pretty much a two-day battery.

Still love it a few months in. Any iPhone would be a downgrade in features I care about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

been a while since visited this forum, have my xiaomi M1, its showing its age a bit but still plows trough a lot what i need.

anyhow looking to upgrade my parents, they both own samsungs a3-a5 :? or whatever 4-6 year old phones barely 8-16gb memory, so pretty useless as slow and no storage on them.

my budget is around 300-350, for two phones, dont care much about camera quality, strong signal, clean android OS and 32gb of space at least main factors, and maybe fingerprint scanners main features looking at, and of course decent chip for speed.

looking at this below that seems to be on offer on amazon for 79quid, any advise would be appreciated or any simillar better choices. Prefer amazon just in case of issues as its easy to return etc, rather then ebay or going though Chinese directly sites.

So in short need advise on what's reliable and still would have decent functionality- then forking out for brand samsungs etc.

Xiaomi Redmi 9A 2GB/32GB (UK Version + Official 2 year warranty), Granite Gray

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Moved from an A1 to a Redmi 9 recently, from Honorbuy, should come within your budget

https://www.honorbuy.com/321-redmi-9-global-version

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭jenneyk19

honorbuy is about 20-30 euro more expensive than other sellers per phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

The K30 Pro is the other version of the Poco F2. As far as I know, the Poco is made for Europe effectively.

Where can i get this phone from please?

i can see it here :

https://tradingshenzhen.com/en/redmi-k30-4g-pro-5g-k30-ultra-poco-f2-pro/2198-8839-redmi-k30pro-zoomedition-8gb-256gb.html#/130-free_gift-free_gift_eu_uk_au_power_adapter/294-device_color-device_color_sky_blue

Does anyone recommend them or an alternative?

I think it is zoom edition / version that is the better version - if I understand correctly - Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 JuXo

go with Poco, K30 versions are chinese versions and no B20 band for 4G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

JuXo wrote: »
    go with Poco, K30 versions are chinese versions and no B20 band for 4G

Isn't the camera a lot better on Chinese version, or the battery?

Sure i saw somewhere there were a number of differences that made the chinese one a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭GBX

jenneyk19 wrote: »

They can be more expensive but they get sent via Europe so no customs charges. Some vendors can work out cheaper but don't offer this option and people sometimes pay more when it's held up by customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 JuXo

abarkie wrote: »
    Isn't the camera a lot better on Chinese version, or the battery?

Sure i saw somewhere there were a number of differences that made the chinese one a lot better

F2 and K30 Pro are same devices, just F2 is for Europe
    K30 Pro Zoom is a little better just because of camera, for me not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

jenneyk19 wrote: »

European warehouse and they deliver extremely fast. Chinese sellers can be cheaper but getting stopped by customs will wipe that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Is this the link where you get Poco F2 Pro on amazon? I've got a free amazon voucher for certain amount, so I have to buy from amazon.
    Linky: https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B088HGT9GR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3C14J4FXPCWOI&psc=1

Hold on, I'm trying to figure out if it has NFC or not. Looks like it doesn't, bugger.

I'll try this way: my budget is ~350eur, it has to be available to buy on amazon, suggestions please! tia!

j@utis wrote: »
    I'll try this way: my budget is ~350eur, it has to be available to buy on amazon, suggestions please! tia!
    Slightly above your budget the Poco F2 link (it does have NFC) - https://www.amazon.es/Xiaomi-Smartphone-Tel%C3%A9fono-Snapdragon-Processor/dp/B08DHHQ8XG/
    or similarly priced
    Realme X3 Superzoom
    https://www.amazon.es/dp/B088XN435K
    or
    Oppo Reno €249 on amazon Spain
    https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07RJZ1T4P
    or
    Redmi Note 8 Pro
    https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07Y1YX6D4/

Thanks for that, I'm used to Xiaomi and leaning towards another Xiaomi phone. I'll go for Poco I think with the intention that it's gonna last me next 4-5 years. I'm only changing my 3yo Redmi Note 4 because of smashed screen which a shame because it's still works perfect.

Suckit wrote: »
    ive ordereder the redmi note 9pro for 204e, anyone with experiences using it, as looking at this above seems more expensive as only difference its older model, and has double the memory in it, and still comes out more expensive :confused:

scamalert wrote: »
    ive ordereder the redmi note 9pro for 204e, anyone with experiences using it, as looking at this above seems more expensive as only difference its older model, and has double the memory in it, and still comes out more expensive :confused:
    The 8 Pro came with Mediateks first big comeback after a while with the G90T (aimed at gaming) which is considered and the camera is slightly better. The G90T is believed by many to be better than the SD720G, particularly for gaming.
    However, the battery is bigger in the 9 pro.
    There is very little between them. It may also come down to pinhole vs teardrop camera.
    That a more personal preference though.
    So similar in spec etc. the 6GB/128GB versions are (e.g.) €205 for the 8 Pro vs €249 for the 9 Pro.
    The 8 Pro beats it for me. But again, it is mostly a personal preference. The prices vary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Suckit wrote: »
    The 8 Pro came with Mediateks first big comeback after a while with the G90T (aimed at gaming) which is considered and the camera is slightly better. The G90T is believed by many to be better than the SD720G, particularly for gaming.
    However, the battery is bigger in the 9 pro.
    There is very little between them. It may also come down to pinhole vs teardrop camera.
    That a more personal preference though.
    So similar in spec etc. the 6GB/128GB versions are (e.g.) €205 for the 8 Pro vs €249 for the 9 Pro.
    The 8 Pro beats it for me. But again, it is mostly a personal preference. The prices vary.

For the 8 pro you pointed out above (see link below) it says its the spanish version. Is that the same as the global version?

Seems like a good price

https://www.amazon.es/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-128GB-Green/dp/B07YDH98RB

Blanco100 wrote: »
    For the 8 pro you pointed out above (see link below) it says its the spanish version. Is that the same as the global version?

Seems like a good price

https://www.amazon.es/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-128GB-Green/dp/B07YDH98RB
    Yep. That is the global version.

It appears than I'm stuck with getting phone of amazon.co.uk (I've got gift vouchers for co.uk). Does this one come with NFC option or not? It hard to understand from the description (my guess is no). Poco F2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It appears than I'm stuck with getting phone of amazon.co.uk (I've got gift vouchers for co.uk). Does this one come with NFC option or not? It hard to understand from the description (my guess is no). Poco F2

https://www.poco.net/global/poco-f2-pro/specs_m/
    Specs say it does

That's what I'm wondering if they all come with NFC because some listings point it out and others don't.

That's what I'm wondering if they all come with NFC because some listings point it out and others don't.
    They all have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I recently ordered a Realme 6 from Amazon Italy. It hasn't arrived yet but just today I see the Poco X3 NFC 6/128 GB version for £203 on Amazon UK. This was the phone I was hoping to get but was too expensive at the time. The Realme 6 hasn't arrived yet and I was thinking I might order the Poco today and return the Realme for a refund as soon as it arrives. Has anyone here had any experience of returning a phone to Amazon Italy? Is it worth the hassle? From all reviews I've seen, the Poco X3 seems to be a brilliant phone and would be a massive bargain at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

It will be awkward, as unlike Amazon UK who give you an Irish address to return to the European sites get you to return directly and that's a problem as An Post won't accept items with batteries for international postage. So you will have to go the courier route.

I have returned stuff to Germany, Spain and France (and possibly Italy). I just go on to their chat, and ask do they speak English (in their language).
    If not, then I have translate.google.com open on another tab.
    I then tell them I would like to return an item, and they usually send me a link to print the same as UK amazon.
    I think France are slightly different, where an agent will call you immediately on your phone, with the same outcome.
    But I have never had any issues returning items.

• Advertisement

NATLOR wrote: »
    It will be awkward, as unlike Amazon UK who give you an Irish address to return to the European sites get you to return directly and that's a problem as An Post won't accept items with batteries for international postage. So you will have to go the courier route.
    dont think they really care, an post delivers items with batteries all the time, as long as it has amazon return sticker and declaration it wont mention battery specifically just a phone. that said recently had to return clothing item to germany and postage worked out like 14 quid just for standard, and amazon stated that they will cover up to 11e costs of return, but think got refunded in full.

Advertisement