Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yi Home Camera

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

No Idea.
    Have you set it up on the yi app yet?
    At some stage it asks you to in the camera type, or choose the camera you have. Be interested to know what youwill need to pick - does it say it anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    No Idea.
    Have you set it up on the yi app yet?
    At some stage it asks you to in the camera type, or choose the camera you have. Be interested to know what youwill need to pick - does it say it anywhere?

Yes I set it up using the Yi app.
    Got it connecting to the router (eventually -- it needed to be placed next to router!) via wireless and then could connect wired to any DHCP router and it gets an IP address.
    It is recognised as "Smart Camera" by the Yi app.

It does respond to a ping :D:D

I did also get a picture from it on the app ..... and was able to use the PTZ functions.
    Unfortunately I do not have in my possession any modern device to take the app, so it was an horrendous experience setting it up and testing it on a real old slow tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Yeah I see you said that above (I really need to start reading things more carefully : ) )
    I'd doubt if it is supported by the hack that we were talking about earlier in the thread. Never heard any mention of that camera type - and ive read through alot of it.

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Yeah I see you said that above (I really need to start reading things more carefully : ) )
    I'd doubt if it is supported by the hack that we were talking about earlier in the thread. Never heard any mention of that camera type - and ive read through alot of it.

I guess I was hoping I missed a reference to this camera ...... thanks.
    As I do not own (up to now) any Yi gear I was only reading out of general interest.
    I might try to sell it on if I get no satisfaction from Gearbest.

Apparently my claim of it being mis-sold has been referred to someone else for decision.
    I might know in a day or so what their intentions are.

Forgot to update my camera saga.

Gearbest refunded the bulk of the monies paid (exchange rates and charges took a bit out of it).

They never mentioned what to do with the camera, so I suppose I can do whatever I wish ..... maybe break it open ans see what chip is in it.

The only port exposed is tellnet 23 which I used tonight to have a peek.
    It appears to have drivers for RTSP and such but nothing active.
    I was able to ping out to another PC on the LAN and even create a second telnet port which duly opened.

The big surprise is that I could telnet into it by entering root once (presumably as user name) and no password .... it did not even prompt for one!

It does seem like a camera that is crying out for the right firmware :)

(trying to encourage myself to 'have a go' :D )

• Advertisement

https://github.com/shadow-1/yi-hack-v3/issues/15

A working implementation is out now.
    Not sure if/when the code will be made public.

"@shadow-1

I've finally finished my RTSP implementation, it works nicely with Home Assistant, Shinobi and other DVRs.
    It is available on the Discord for the supporters of the new project.

I'd like to reward all the people that have put their support on the Bounty by giving them full access to the RTSP on Discord.

Is it possible to close the issue now? Without that, Bountysource cannot mark it as solved.

Thanks,
    Crypto"

Apparently this is not going to be released under the GPL .....
    https://github.com/TheCrypt0/yi-hack-v4/wiki/Enable-RTSP-Server
    NOTE: viewd is currently closed source donationware and can't be compiled. This is mostly to prevent others from monetizing this function, as example Chinese sellers selling pre-hacked cameras and such. Sadly those exist... Keep in mind that you don't have to donate insane amounts! A single year of Yi-Cloud subscription already costs ~40$, to put things into perspective.

I also note that to get it working a 'licence' is required
    https://github.com/TheCrypt0/yi-hack-v4/wiki/Enable-RTSP-Server
    Run the command camhash and send the generated hash (among with your username and mail address) via this form License Request for viewd.
    You'll receive a viewd_xxxxxxxx.lic file which you have to copy to /home/yi-hack-v4/etc in order to continue.
    Once done you can start viewd via the command viewd -D, this will start a daemonized version of viewd with no output
    Now use rtspv4 to start the RTSP server

I expect this decision will have a negative effect on we ever seeing an opensource implementation for those cameras, as it 'appears' that effort would be duplication.

Bad as things are I am glad his software does not support my camera .... I would hate to think I might be tempted to support this attitude.
    His mention of $40 is pushing things a bit too far IMO.
    I wonder how those people feel who donated cameras to him as he was then continuing an open source project?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I think its time to upgrade to an outdoor camera, there has been a few attempts to take my motorbike this week.

MY yi dome camera looking out the window has worked well but I think an outside camera should get a clearer video. Also the viability will hopefully be a deterrent. Does the outdoor camera have a light to show its on?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    I think its time to upgrade to an outdoor camera, there has been a few attempts to take my motorbike this week.

MY yi dome camera looking out the window has worked well but I think an outside camera should get a clearer video. Also the viability will hopefully be a deterrent. Does the outdoor camera have a light to show its on?
    Yes it can be turned off if needed

ted1 wrote: »
    Yes it can be turned off if needed

Cheers I'd prefer it to be on so the camera is more obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Blanchy90 wrote: »

Just got myself a yi dome camera but having problems pairing it. Scans QR code but nothing after that. Did you find setup easy enough?

• Advertisement

Just got myself a yi dome camera but having problems pairing it. Scans QR code but nothing after that. Did you find setup easy enough?

I think I had to try it a few times before it worked

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Had this issue with one of my cameras, couldn't get it to pair after 20 attempts, using my phone. Installed the Yi camera app on my laptop and tried, paired first time without hassle. Checked the Yi camera app on my phone and the camera was there and worked perfectly.

Changed house, different wifi so i reset the cameras and first one worked paired and set up ok. Same hassle with the second one on my phone. - tried 4 or 5 times before before trying it on my laptop again. Again paired perfectly first time.

I'm at a loss to explain why or how it worked. :o Two identical cameras and identical set ups. May not work for you, but it might be worth a try.

Anyone with one of these noticed they’ve rocketed their prices over the past few days for the subscription?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭bbehan202

n/a

Advertisement