Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just when you thought things couldn’t get worse...

Options
  • 15-07-2018 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭

182 taxi charging in Blackpool in Cork, pulling a massive 22kw on the FCP. Driver probably chilling in McDonalds have a bite. I give in, I need a Rex.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

#rapidgate yo?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Orebro wrote: »
    182 taxi charging in Blackpool in Cork, pulling a massive 22kw on the FCP. Driver probably chilling in McDonalds have a bite. I give in, I need a Rex CCS charging EV and the Ionity chargers.

FYP :p

But imagine having a L40 starting a charge and another one waiting. You'd be there for 4 hours :(

With all those new L40 on the road, public fast charging will be dire until the Ionity chargers are installed. Wasn't one meant to go in this summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

With only one working CCS in Cork city at the moment you need a Rex or lots of time on your hands.

jhegarty wrote: »
    With only one working CCS in Cork city at the moment you need a Rex or lots of time on your hands.

Or not fast charge in Cork.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The recent ESB tender for new EV Charging equipment included requests for 24kW DC Chargers.

Imagine pulling into a charger and finding a rapidgate leaf charging at 22kW on the 50kW Efacec whilst the secondary 24kW charging sits idly mocking you.

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    The recent ESB tender for new EV Charging equipment included requests for 24kW DC Chargers.

WTF?

If they are installing any chargers with our tax payers money, they should be installing 175kW / 350kW chargers, not 24kW ones :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Maybe they're planning to replace the 22kW AC SCPs with 24kW DC chargers so that everyone has the chance to get higher charge rates, not just the Zoes and Teslas. Wouldn't need any new electrical upgrades, and probably a lot cheaper than higher power FCPs.

Or maybe they'll install them beside the Ionity CCS chargers as Leaf 2 rapidgate chargers, since we'll only be pulling 22kW from them anyway, and all the Ioniq owners can sneer at us as they charge up at 70kW ;)

_dof_ wrote: »
    Or maybe they'll install them beside the Ionity CCS chargers as Leaf 2 rapidgate chargers, since we'll only be pulling 22kW from them anyway, and all the Ioniq owners can sneer at us as they charge up at 70kW ;)

Almost 80kW it looks like on the latest 175kW chargers FastNed have installed in the Netherlands. Quite likely the same on the Ionity chargers :p

37070669_1016313248531301_7543197379168567296_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=3e7817590ac9789196ed715839ac9226&oe=5BDCDFD2

22kW DC chargers are great as slow chargers as they are not that much slower than fast chargers for most cars (Ioniq and Tesla excepted) but are much less costly.

Put a row of them in Blanch and Lucan!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

ELM327 wrote: »
    22kW DC chargers are great as slow chargers as they are not that much slower than fast chargers for most cars (Ioniq and Tesla excepted) but are much less costly.

Put a row of them in Blanch and Lucan!

That's a bit backwards, the 50kW chargers are already a bit slow by todays standards. The Leaf 40 is likely to be the last car released that can't break the 50kW charging mark.

• Advertisement

To clarify, I'm not supporting them as a means of fast charging, but as a means of mild fast charging (IE go shopping for one hour at a 22kW point and most EVs would receive over 50% of a recharge. Versus only 3-6kW at a 22kW AC point.

Fast chargers installed today should be 100kW at a minimum.

Ah OK, that's what 50kW chargers are for, you plug in your car whilst shopping for an hour.

* for 60kWh cars sold in 2019+

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I really don't think taxi drivers should be using free public chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Careful - I’ve made that point in the past and got lambasted for it. The whole “every Km driven on EV is a good Km” brigade will use this statement as a blank cheque for anything. A few instances of them meeting taxi L40s at FCPs sucking only 22Kw will make them change their tune.

Typical government shortsightedness though - introduce a scheme for taxis and neglect any scheme to make charging facilities available for them.

Turns out it’s been a complete failure: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/still-sucking-diesel-taxi-drivers-ignore-ross-s-electric-car-incentive-1.3566083

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Whats the alternative? Specific chargers for taxi's makes no sense.

And in terms of emissions taxi should be encouraged to use electric as there are generally driving in stop start traffic where the efficiency of electric is more pronounced. They are also often diesel which we should really be pushing people away from particularly in city centers.

cruizer101 wrote: »

And in terms of emissions taxi should be encouraged to use electric as there are generally driving in stop start traffic where the efficiency of electric is more pronounced. They are also often diesel which we should really be pushing people away from particularly in city centers.

I agree, Taxi's make excellent customers for town/city charging hubs. Meaning they're more likely to be viable sooner.

Let's face it, the guy who rapid charges 4 times in a year is not going to do much to make a network viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Careful - I’ve made that point in the past and got lambasted for it. The whole “every Km driven on EV is a good Km” brigade will use this statement as a blank cheque for anything. A few instances of them meeting taxi L40s at FCPs sucking only 22Kw will make them change their tune.

Typical government shortsightedness though - introduce a scheme for taxis and neglect any scheme to make charging facilities available for them.

Turns out it’s been a complete failure: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/still-sucking-diesel-taxi-drivers-ignore-ross-s-electric-car-incentive-1.3566083

When they're driving the cars for profit, using the public charging system (while it's free) just seems like they're gaming the system. The fact this thread exists suggests there's a problem with capacity.

If the government really cared about air quality in urban environments they could just ban diesel taxis. Many countries have been using LPG and other stuff for years - sure, still fossil fuels, but not diesel, and while the EV charging infrastructure isn't good enough it would be better than the current situation. A lot of taxi drivers seem to be switching to hybrids anyway.

Of course it does - they need them multiple times per day. I wouldn’t get one right now if I were a taxi driver - time is money in that game and sitting queuing at the limited number of FCPs is a no no.

Use part of the grant money to let them install their own rapid chargers wherever their HQ is - taxi companies in the UK do this and they don’t depend on the public system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Would it not be better to use the money to put in chargers for everyone rather than for specific people.
    I'd also be of opinion everyone should pay to charge at public charge points regardless of taxi or member of public.

Of course it does - they need them multiple times per day. I wouldn’t get one right now if I were a taxi driver - time is money in that game and sitting queuing at the limited number of FCPs is a no no.

Use part of the grant money to let them install their own rapid chargers wherever their HQ is - taxi companies in the UK do this and they don’t depend on the public system.
    There's a 100% EV taxi company that had a leaf with nearly 200k miles on it.
    They installed their own fast chargers

• Advertisement

A Leaf40 Taxi will start the day with around 250km of range. One rapid charge to 80% will add another 190km, are there that many taxis that are covering over 400km in a single day?

A Leaf40 Taxi will start the day with around 250km of range. One rapid charge to 80% will add another 190km, are there that many taxis that are covering over 400km in a single day?
    There's a guy on Youtube that has a l40 as a taxi in the UK and says that bar once in a blue moon airport run he never exceeds the range of the car in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Multi-rapid sites would handle the taxi issue, congestion and reliability. But that's not on the cards because of the grid connection requirements and the works required.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    There's a 100% EV taxi company that had a leaf with nearly 200k miles on it.
    They installed their own fast chargers

They got the rapid free from nissan with their eNV200s. There was a deal 2-3 years ago where if you bought four eNV200 you got a free DBT 50kW fitted by Nissan to your business premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,291 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I agree, Taxi's make excellent customers for town/city charging hubs. Meaning they're more likely to be viable sooner.

Let's face it, the guy who rapid charges 4 times in a year is not going to do much to make a network viable.

That’s exactly what ESBs London contract was for. Taxis !!

cros13 wrote: »
    Multi-rapid sites would handle the taxi issue, congestion and reliability. But that's not on the cards because of the grid connection requirements and the works required.

A 350kW charger is about the same as a B&Q Superstore.

Using a Chargepoint Express Plus that could be 8 CCS + CHAdeMO stations and a power cube with 4 extra modules.
    That's 4 cars charging at up to 62.5kW and 4 cars at 31.25kW for a total of 375kW. When the system is under full load cars can use more of the available power.

Taxi men & women will go well out of their way to get “cheap” diesel, so I could see the same ones doing most of their charging on the free rapids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

A 350kW charger is about the same as a B&Q Superstore.

Sure... but majority of the existing sites have either 70 or 100kW supplies. Existing cable in ductwork would need to be replaced. Some ducts widened.
    Many of the substations don't have the spare capacity and would need to be upgraded.

The infrastructure work will almost certainly cost more than the rapids.... in a perfect world the rapid sites would be moved to better locations closer to the high voltage network to allow for expansion to multiple 350kW+ rapids.

But the money isn't there... Considering EV owners paying 100 times the cost of the electricity still wouldn't cover running costs of the current network and no commercial network could hope to be viable until we had 50-100 times the number of EVs we currently have on the road... we need the money to come from government funds.

cros13 wrote: »
    no commercial network could hope to be viable until we had 50-100 times the number of EVs we currently have

Yet here Ionity comes. Costing not a cent to the Irish tax payer

Same with Fastned in the Netherlands (and expanding). They've never made a profit but were also never paid for with government funds

unkel wrote: »
    Yet here Ionity comes. Costing not a cent to the Irish tax payer

Same with Fastned in the Netherlands (and expanding). They've never made a profit but were also never paid for with government funds

You've mentioned these Ionity guys alot unkel - any indication yet on where they are going to site the chargers, how many of them, when are they coming etc?

• Advertisement

I started a dedicated thread on Ionity, it's probably a few pages down from the top of this forum

Summary: there will be 9 Ionity chargers in Ireland before the end of next year. I think it was Mad_Lad who said the first one in Ireland will be installed this summer. All are 175kW (and 350kW ready). All at least 4 charging points per site, all CCS only. Locations:

screen-shot-2018-02-06-at-11-23-07-am.jpg?resize=2500%2C0&quality=82&strip=all&ssl=1

Advertisement